• Dive master any agency no payment

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I wonder how may of the members registered here actually work and recieve payment( or in kind  ie equipment discount, free diving etc)  By that I mean involved in running a Dive business for profit. ie Instructor, Divemaster,( either  Dive Shop owner, Boat owner.).

Nothing wrong with getting paid for it or course, Interested what sort of mix there is on YD?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Tony,

Where's the tick-box for 'None of the Above'??  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

like the typical BSAC Instructor, do it for no rewards at all, the very rare "thank you" from a trainee is a memorable occasion, IIRC think I'm still waiting for my first "thank you" GBP (great british pint),  although I did once get £10 petrol money for instructing on an O2 course, which is nice...
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>I got a coffee from a trainee on Sunday while doing his last two qualifing dives for Club Diver.

I would love to work in the UK as a paid instructor, but I think there is little chance of that even with the HSE regulations. A staff of 3 people just to train one person  doesn't seem to be cost effective and doesn't offer the chance of a living wage. So do all working instructors moonlight?

I would like to know if we have any UK dive centres on the boards and get some feed back on how complying with the HSE regs has effected their business. Or does what I've seen at some dive sites  mean that the letter of the law is not being followed as well as it should?  

So I'll just have to dream, do the BSAC thing and enjoy the odd YD trip around this fair isle of ours.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Hall @ July 29 2003,12:23)]I would like to know if we have any UK dive centres on the boards and get some feed back on how complying with the HSE regs has effected their business. Or does what I've seen at some dive sites  mean that the letter of the law is not being followed as well as it should?  
Hi Chris,

I suspect that there are a number of scenarios,  I think that many of the freelance instructors probably do not follow the letter of the law to the degree the HSE have specified.  

I do think that the whole courses for cash situation with regard to safety has improved and is much more rigorous now.  How do the freelance instructors get by,  well I guess that many are making very little money and are doing it for there own enjoyment or they are relying on friendly DM's, shore cover support who will work for very little money maybe benefits in kind such as cheap courses etc.

I don't have a huge amount of knowledge on how it has affected the shop situation, but I do know of one shop that used to do the OW without full consideration for support staff and now use DM's in internship to get around the problem.

I think overall that the cost of OW courses once it is broken down leaves very little for Instructors once all the expenses are taken out, especially if they work to maximums of 4 people per course per instructor as many of the ones I know do (Only 2 students per instructor and DM per open water dive).  The hourly rate is probably less than working in Burgerking.

Just out of interest what is the cost of the average OW course around the regions.  In the Southwest it seems to be between £250 and £300.  Now for your freelance instructors that ain't much when you consider kit hire, pool fees, petrol and food expenses not to mention time spent doing the theory, confined water and 2 days minimum on OW (+entrance fees for quarries if the coast is out).

Daz

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>

This sure opens an old wound.  I recently left a club having found out that the non-profit making ethos was not all it appeared to be.  I gave my time freely to train other people, received no payment and covered my own expenses.  Any "profit" was supposed to be re-invested in the club to supplement costs and keep the kit maintained - not going into the senior instructors pocket, who had also coincidentally stopped doing any teaching.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this and it's disappointing when there are a number of us that will give up time to help others but are then prime fodder for the unscrupulous.  If I had actually been looking for employment I would have made sure of contract conditions etc. - this is about as unsavoury as robbing from the poor box.

As you can see - touched a raw nerve but still believe in doing it for free..

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Hall @ July 29 2003,12:23)]I would love to work in the UK as a paid instructor, but I think there is little chance of that even with the HSE regulations. A staff of 3 people just to train one person  doesn't seem to be cost effective and doesn't offer the chance of a living wage.
I'm willing to chip in at weekends Chris - current PADI AI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts