YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My housekeeper (bless her) recently asked me to choose a camera for her and I took delivery yesterday of Fujifilm's Finepix HS20EXR on her behalf. I chose this camera (with her approval) because:

• it is within her budget
• it is not a dSLR
• it can "grow" with her as she gets more proficient at this photography lark

To say that I am impressed with the thing is an understatement. Of course it is entirely unsuited for u/w use (30x zoom lens anyone?) but then she's highly unlikely to become a diver, she keeps on saying that if god had meant us to go underwater she would have given us gills, but by crackers it does what it says on the tin - and I'm only just coming to terms with the thing myself - just barely!

Never again will I look down my nose at these "little baby cameras".

·
"Are we human, or are we diver?"
1,329 Posts
We have the earlier S5500 and it's still one of the most used, and most successful cameras in the house. It's mine, but it keeps getting borrowed - by everyone!

If there was a housing for it, I'd love to take it underwater.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Compacts have certainly come on over the last year or two. I used to take my Canon 20DSLR in an Ikelite on holidays but with baggage weight restrictions being what they are now and the DSLR setup in it's Pelicase weighing in at 16kg's alone I find it to heavy to take anymore so whilst I still own the kit I now take a Canon S90 away and find the results more than acceptable. Well more than acceptable with my limited capabilities!

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Acceptable?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
...but with baggage weight restrictions being what they are now and the DSLR setup in it's Pelicase weighing in at 16kg's alone I find it to heavy to take anymore...
So ditch the Pelicase!
Camera in housing as hand luggage, strobes in pockets, arms weigh very little any way so can go where ever...

:)

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
You make it sound so easy! Given that the norm for hand luggage now is only 5kg.
They don't weigh your jacket;)

It's only some charters that are 5kg, like Monarch. I had 8kg and told her "It's photo kit and you want guarantee it in the hold". She just replied "OK" and popped the hand baggage tag on it.

I carry a macro rig in the cabin with me. Housing, camera, port, lens, single strobe arm & cord and it's about 7kg including chargers. I could, if necessary, put the lens and stobe into a pocket.

Everything else goes into the hold, bubble wrapped then placed in tupperware boxes.

·
Weasily recognised or stoatily different?
1,130 Posts
And Thomson,Thomas cook, and flymaybe. All 5kg hand luggage. And watch the sizes too - mother all carriers accept the same sizes of hand luggage. Some of the carriers have very questionable parentage.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

·
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
763 Posts
They don't weigh your jacket;)

It's only some charters that are 5kg, like Monarch. I had 8kg and told her "It's photo kit and you want guarantee it in the hold". She just replied "OK" and popped the hand baggage tag on it.

I carry a macro rig in the cabin with me. Housing, camera, port, lens, single strobe arm & cord and it's about 7kg including chargers. I could, if necessary, put the lens and stobe into a pocket.

Everything else goes into the hold, bubble wrapped then placed in tupperware boxes.
That's fine till the day they don't say "ok" and charge the swingeing amount they do for the excess! Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If camera equipment is in hand baggage of course it gets weighed! All hand baggage is weighed.
I carry a seperate bag as hand luggage and the camera. The camera has never been weighed. Or my jacket. Or the trousers that I'm wearing. ;)

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
But as Sean says, camera equipment isn't normally weighed...
I didn't quite say that;) I said we had 8kg and she allowed it. We still had to weigh them.

If you seriously want to take a DSLR with you, you can:) Photographers vest with lenses, cables etc. I have gone for lighter weight kit as well, travel BCD, full foot fins etc. My dive kit or the tropics is around 9kg including the bag. Depending on who I am flying with that leaves a lot for camera kit. Clothing is secondary, I wash it when I'm there so take less anyway.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
I have seen someone get on a plane with a full SLR rig, dome port and 2 stobes, just carried as a camera. Ballsy:) Some airlines now state a 'small' camera as a personal item.

I seriously looked at the hard cases, but then decided against them. The size case I need is around 8kg empty, that is too much weight to sacrifice from a 20kg limit. Plus, I am of the opinion that those cases scream "Steal me" to errant baggage handlers.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yep, if you want to take it you can find a way...

I travel with dSLR and a Sentinel... The Sentinel goes in a suitcase...

·
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am of the opinion that those cases scream "Steal me" to errant baggage handlers.
And others, and you're not Robinson Crusoe in that opinion.

My system goes with me in accompanied luggage, the camera in its (unlatched) housing - I mean, when was the last time you wanted to photograph aboard a plane? If you can't do without, also take an itty bitty P&S which you can stick into a shirt pocket - or make do with your iPhone - given that you're hardly likely to be doing serious photography in that environment.

Reactions: Two Hats

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
If camera equipment is in hand baggage of course it gets weighed! All hand baggage is weighed.
Bit of a sweeping statement that. I have been travelling professionally for years and in my experience it's rare that hand baggage gets weighed. I've never had it weighed on any Air Malta flight. Measured frequently yes but even flying Ryan Air, Easyjet and Thomas Cook as I have done this year not once has my hand luggage been weighed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts