YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Girls,

I know this is completely random and really shouldn't be asked but as a fair number of you are familiar with the Excel Centre from LIDS I feel I can trust you all and ask...

What's the best way of getting there if you're coming from the South Coast?

I was going to use public transport but they seem to be closing the Underground all over the place at the moment and it seems like a bugger to get to from Waterloo.

Is it easy driving? Does anyone know of a decent cheapish carpark nearby?

Apreciative of any and all responses.

Bestest

Allie

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Hi Allie,

Is very easy to get to. Whizz around the bottom of the M25, under the tunnel, up the A13 and it's all sign posted.

There are a load of car parks there and chances are there'll be a park and ride service running too. Parking is about a fiver doing that, or more if you want to park in one of the carparks near the centre itself.

Hope that helps,

Si

PS - Yes I know that's the 2nd sensible reply I've sent you.... I'm surprised too! :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Si,

You are a gent, no really. Sounds a doddle. Thank you muchly.

Bestest

Allie

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Need to go through the Blackwall Tunnel by the Dome, so either M25 or
cut across South Circular.

Soon as you are north of the river it's signposted and no more than 2 miles
from tunnel exit.

Dont go in the up and up, go left at the first roundabout and you can
park underneath. You come up into the main foyer, much easier.

If anybody gets fed up with show prices, go out of the main entrance and head
for the waterfront, turn right and go 500 yds to find a small convienence
store.

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
Provided the Jubilee Line underground is working, then public transport OUGHT to be a doddle - Waterloo - Jubilee Line - change at Stratford or wherever to DLR - quick and simple, no traffic jams or parking charges. (Of course if there are "engineering works" this could just turn into a nightmare - but it's that or the M25!!)

·
Team Starburst
865 Posts
Provided the Jubilee Line underground is working, then public transport OUGHT to be a doddle - Waterloo - Jubilee Line - change at Stratford or wherever to DLR - quick and simple, no traffic jams or parking charges. (Of course if there are "engineering works" this could just turn into a nightmare - but it's that or the M25!!)

That's what i'd do , there is no planned maintance showing on the TFL sight for this weekend.

Most of the works being undertaken at present seem to involve the circle and district lines which you don't need.

Dave

·
Life is rushing past!
1,206 Posts
Go round the M25 to the A2 and then go through the Blackwall tunnel follow the signs it's only a couple of miles from the tunnel.

·
Top Bloke
2,674 Posts
I would do that but you need to change onto the DLR, up the stairs at Canning Town (2 stops before Stratford). Make sure you get on a Beckton DLR train or you will end up at the City airport.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Need to go through the Dartford Tunnel by the Dome, so either M25 or
cut across South Circular.

Soon as you are north of the river it's signposted and no more than 2 miles
from tunnel exit.

Dont go in the up and up, go left at the first roundabout and you can
park underneath. You come up into the main foyer, much easier.

If anybody gets fed up with show prices, go out of the main entrance and head
for the waterfront, turn right and go 500 yds to find a small convienence
store.

wow when did they move the dartford tunnel:)

and as for using the underground- what Rod says is the best way, if you change at Stratford to DLR then you will have to change at Poplar again to get a train to excel. best thing about canning town is that if the DLR is suspended( kids on track etc) then there is also a bus service- built in redundancy :)

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
wow when did they move the dartford tunnel:)

and as for using the underground- what Rod says is the best way, if you change at Stratford to DLR then you will have to change at Poplar again to get a train to excel. best thing about canning town is that if the DLR is suspended( kids on track etc) then there is also a bus service- built in redundancy :)
Whoops - Blackwall Tunnel of course :teeth: .

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
I would do that but you need to change onto the DLR, up the stairs at Canning Town (2 stops before Stratford). Make sure you get on a Beckton DLR train or you will end up at the City airport.
Yeah, that's the one I meant - sorry, hadn't checked the map. Had a vague feeling it wasn't Stratford you need... Good luck anyway - it's a relatively fun journey that way, at least you can see where you're going on the DLR (and even sit in the driving seat on a good day).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts