YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm looking for one of those green diamond shaped compressed air stickers for my car. However (yeah there's always a but with women) I don't want one of the permanent sticky ones.

I want one that has a little suction cup so it can be removed when I'm not off diving? Anyone seen one for sale somewhere or know of a UK website where I can order one, please?

(Hope I've put this thread on the right forum - apologies if not!)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I got mine from Go-Dive in Derby. Compressed air in at the front, advertising on the back.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Why on Earth do people insist on advertising the fact that they have a small fortune's worth of diving equipment in their cars?

Even in our massively over-regulated country, there's no requirement for people to display these things when they're carrying compressed air in a personal capacity.

All the stuff I read about giving firefighters a heads-up is bullshit. I think they're probably far more concerned about the 50 or 60 litres of petrol in the fuel tank.

'Look at me, I'm a diver' is the real reason as far as I can see.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I designed and made my own. Here is a .pdf which you can download and print off.

I laminated mine and put a suction cup thingy that was attached to something I got from a cheap shop.

Sorry if you have already ordered, but this may help somebody.

Attachments

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why on Earth do people insist on advertising the fact that they have a small fortune's worth of diving equipment in their cars?

Even in our massively over-regulated country, there's no requirement for people to display these things when they're carrying compressed air in a personal capacity.

All the stuff I read about giving firefighters a heads-up is bullshit. I think they're probably far more concerned about the 50 or 60 litres of petrol in the fuel tank.

'Look at me, I'm a diver' is the real reason as far as I can see.
Um, that's a little harsh.

I am a new diver and was told I ought to have one. I did NOT want it in there when I wasn't going diving which is why I asked for a removable one. So it was only ever on my car WHEN I had the cylinder there.

Thanks for you comments though. Noted and taken on board. Though not entirely sure the tone was necessary.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Um, that's a little harsh.

I am a new diver and was told I ought to have one. I did NOT want it in there when I wasn't going diving which is why I asked for a removable one. So it was only ever on my car WHEN I had the cylinder there.

Thanks for you comments though. Noted and taken on board. Though not entirely sure the tone was necessary.
Sorry, should have added 'No offence' ;)

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Interesting point though ,these stickers do not conform to any regulations that I am aware of .ie ADR = hazadous goods by road etc & if you wanted to declare under that type of rule then if you travel through the Dartford tunnel then you need to declare at the abnormal loads office & carry "Trem" cards & a full hazadous kit plus fire extinguishers IIRC

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Nick, what make you say the heads up to fire service reasons is bollocks? I recall and thread on here years ago when members of the emergency services were saying they were appreciated, and that's why I have one.

Well, that and the hope that the twat in the beamer so close on my tail he can read it with ease in the motorway overtaking lane might think twice - some hope :rolleyes:

Dave

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Nick, what make you say the heads up to fire service reasons is bollocks? I recall and thread on here years ago when members of the emergency services were saying they were appreciated, and that's why I have one.
Common sense really. I imagine the emergency services have protocols in place that dictate how they deal with various situations and a large steel tank full of highly inflammable liquid just under the boot of your car is likely to make them treat that area with caution.

If they had cause for concern, I'm sure our friends in the HSE would have stuck their oar in by now.

Well, that and the hope that the twat in the beamer so close on my tail he can read it with ease in the motorway overtaking lane might think twice - some hope :rolleyes:
They're just as likely to get right up close so they can read what it says and I doubt the implications would be obvious then.

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Dave
Next thing you know is you'll be expecting him to indicate too????

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
I don't carry one, and Nick is right, there is no legal reason unless you are carrying it for business. Would you remove the sticker if your cylinder if empty or not in the car? I know divers who carry them all the time. Its just an advert to 'Expensive kit, please break my rear window' sticker. You may get confused with a Doctor carrying drugs?

As for Trem cards, you only have to carry one if your carrying >25kg of hazardous material right? and ~100ltrs for fuel? and then only if your doing it for business.

Hears a question? Who (when their boot is full of dive gear) fastens the seat belts in the rear? Imagine being involved in a head on collision with multiple 15kg cylinders in the boot? they could take you out very easily. You may wish to carry this sticker for the emergency services, but what about your own protection?

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Interesting point though ,these stickers do not conform to any regulations that I am aware of .ie ADR = hazadous goods by road etc & if you wanted to declare under that type of rule then if you travel through the Dartford tunnel then you need to declare at the abnormal loads office & carry "Trem" cards & a full hazadous kit plus fire extinguishers IIRC
There is an exemption from the ADR for various gases, air, He and O2 included. They are all transport category 3 which to put it into context means you would need 85 12 litre cylinders (1000 litres water capacity) before having to comply with ADR.

So- the practical upshot is you don't need a green diamond.

Wnat to read ADR for yourself? Be prepared for a long, boring read.... ADR 2003- Restructured ADR applicable as from 1 January 2003

·
Registered
10,794 Posts

Dave
Oh so you're the bloke that sits in the outside lane for 10 miles when you've had plenty of opportunity to pull in. I'm just in a hurry to get to the dive site before you all stir up the silt :D

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Oh so you're the bloke that sits in the outside lane for 10 miles when you've had plenty of opportunity to pull in. I'm just in a hurry to get to the dive site before you all stir up the silt :D
Hey, I'm doing 65, and that's quite fast enough for everyone so just drop back and enjoy the (slow) ride ;)

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I don't carry one, and Nick is right, there is no legal reason unless you are carrying it for business. Would you remove the sticker if your cylinder if empty or not in the car? I know divers who carry them all the time. Its just an advert to 'Expensive kit, please break my rear window' sticker. You may get confused with a Doctor carrying drugs?
That is why the OP, I and lots of others have a REMOVABLE sticker. Capernwray have just added to their range and have magnetic ones as well as sucker stick on ones.

Personally, it might make sod all difference but if it does help the fireman cutting me out of the wreck then that is what it is for. Oh and for advertising that I am a diver of course ;)

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Hey, I'm doing 65, and that's quite fast enough for everyone so just drop back and enjoy the (slow) ride ;)
I push you with my X5 and now you are doing 95 :D :D

Chris

1 - 20 of 34 Posts