YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Would there be a BIG difference warmth wise between a 5mm neo suit and a 5mm crushed to 2.5mm neo suit?

I am thinking of changing from a membrane to a neo suit as I feel the cold. However cant decide between normal or crushed. I know normal will be warmer but crushed will be more flexible, its a case of picking the lesser of 2 evils and I cant decide which???

Whats your view?

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have a compressed Neo and find it plenty warm enough. Though I do where a Weezle Medium undersuit which is very toasty. I've tried plain Neo and find them a bit bulky and tend to be more restrictive than my compressed. That said I would try all three, and have. See if your local Dive shop has some demo suits you could borrow. Alternatively call the suppliers and ask if they have any demo suits at LDS's in your area, They should know.

Dave C

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I cant comment on the 2.5mm compressed suit as i havent worn one, but as you know I swaped from an Otter Membrain to a 03 5mm Neo suit and it is much warmer. I use the standard Fourth Element base layour up to October/ November and then pop a Thinsulate on as well. Doing up to 90min run times this time of year without much problem on the body but my feet get realy cold. A weezel wont work with the Neo as the suit is too close fitting. Movement in the 03 suit is very good in the water and I can reach my valves easier than in my old otter but putting the thinsulate on does restrict movement in the arms to the point where shutdowns are very hard. I havent noticed any other limitations with the set up.

Donnig the suit requires KY gell or Atrixo hand cream to get hands through the cuff seels easily. The damed thing is big and heavy so keep your otter for overseas trips or suffer the baggage restrictions.

I havent experianced a lot of the Neopreen issues mentioned in some threads so I am asuming the 03 is just a good suit.  

Note also using 5mm semidry gloves and 5mm hood.

The 5mm neo definatly has some drawbacks but I still prefer it to my old membrain.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dan,

Got an O3 compressed suit, I love it, to be honest it is the flexibility that makes it fantastic. I haven't had an un-compressed suit, so hard for me to compare, against a membrane suit though the compressed is definitely better. The suit is also warmer than the membrane I had (Oceanic Aerdura), significantly so.

Andrew

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dan @ Jan. 18 2004,16:21)]I am thinking of changing from a membrane to a neo suit as I feel the cold.

Whats your view?
Hi,

if cold is the problem you probably just need to get yourself a quality thinsulate undersuit and base layer rather than go to all the trouble and expense of changing dry suits.  

Regards

Mark.

PS. I dive an O'Three RI 2/500 (2.5mm) compressed neoprene suit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a quality thinsulate undersuit and base layer rather than go to all the trouble and expense of changing dry suits.
Have tried different undersuits(currently using weezle and 4th element base layer)and still no joy. On the dive itself it isn't too bad but on deco I really begin to feel it. I am all skin and bones except for beer belly which doesn't help matters when it comes to keeping warm

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A weezel wont work with the Neo
O3 reckon it will, I think its just you and your fetish for tight rubber suits and too many pies  

Have been in contact with O3 and I will most likely going for one of their compressed suits. I am in Weymouth this w/end so will be popping in so I can have a proper look and chat before making final choice. Only problem is I will have to wait until May for it as there is a huge waiting list

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

I've used both neo and compressed. Go compressed, its toasty... harder wearing... and it doesnt need as much weight.

As for the weezle, I use an extreme under my Othree... and I had it specially cut slimmer for caving. The place you want a bit of slack is around your shoulders/chest. Any decent suit supplier should know how to measure a suit up for this

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dan @ Jan. 21 2004,18:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A weezel wont work with the Neo
O3 reckon it will, I think its just you and your fetish for tight rubber suits and too many pies  
Well that is true

I ment the weezel wont work with the standard 5mm 03. I can just about squeze my leg in the suit wearing a 200g thinsulate so the weezel will be realy compressed in the legs and arms and they dont work so well when there is not a lot of air around them.

The 2.5mm compressed is basicly a membrain suit made out of neo so you can wear any old undersuit under that.  Its a great suit and I would get one but its just too damed expensive for me.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Mark,
If your geting a suit MTM by O'three you just tell them what you are going to wear under it and they cut the suit accordingly.

Simon A

·
Registered
293 Posts
Imported post

Sorry to jump in but does say a 3mm compressed keep you has warm has a standard 8mm neo if wearing the same undersuit/clothing or do you need to wear something extra to keep you warm in the 3mm?

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Although I don't have an uncompressed suit, judgeing from Mark who has a 5mm Neo suit the O3 compressed is not as warm as the 5mm but, is a lot warmer than a mebrane suit with added flexibility over both.

Andrew

p.s. if anybody is wondering what I am on this site at this stupid hour for, well theres a seriously loud owl in my garden, everybody is up and looking very grumpy

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I've an idea "compressed neoprene" is an advertising gimmick. I think its just thinner neoprene. Warm is a very relevant term.   2 layers of extra thick merino thermals, a weezle extreme and a 4mm neoprene keeps me reasonably chilled in winter.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Being a large aquatic mammal, i've found my crappy membrane and worse undersuit keeps me warm as long as my base layer(s) are good quality.

That said, i've just bought an Otter Britannic mebrane on monday so i'm not listening to any neoprene pro comments  

Stu

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Was at O3 yesterday afternoon and have a nice ri2/100 on order. Got to wait until May until I get it but that should allow me enough time to work out how to pay for it. £890 ouch!!!!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Dan

Bit late but i use a ND CNX2000 compressed Neoprene, great suit, just T-Shirt and shorts under it in the summer, Pool shorty or sweat shirt under in Autumn and Spring, and a thinsulate in winter, no problems and lots of flexibility.

Dive Safe

Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts