YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Does anyone have a suggestion on a dive computer, easily available and supported in the UK, which will manage preprogramming with two or more gas mixtures, i.e. 21% to 50% bottom and 21% to 99% for deco, switching automatically at the set deco depth.

the Cochran Commander appeals, but I am concerned about availability and support.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Not that switches automatically, but the Suunto Vytec will give three gasses with switching

Andrew

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I have been using the Cochran Commander for a few years now and like it very much.

Gripes :- The back light is a bit dim IMO but just OK (apparently it is a design issue to save battery power) & reprogramming with out a PC is a pain. If you break contact while scrolling through all options to lock in the new settings you have to start from scratch.

Maybe these things are diff on newer models.

I have always had a next day response from Cochran (by e mail) when I have contacted them. They replaced a broken wrist strap FOC + I have ordered bits (like screen guards) and they arrived within 5 days.

One last thing - you will get the piss taken cos it seems popular to do so with Cochrans for some reason.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Sunnto Vitec can be programed for three gas diving (even allowing for helium) down to 55m. After that your on gauge mode or you need a VR3.

It works very well but you need to use a laptop or PC to plan your dive because the computer will show deco frov the gas your on. So if your at 50m on 23/20 it will show say 50mins deco then you ascend to 21m and switch to 50% and it sudenly drops to 30mins deco then you ascend to 6 and switch to 80% and it suddenly drops to 15min deco.

If your not expecting it it can be very off puting.

VR3 shows to surface deco including gas switching at planned depths at all times. So as long as you do tyhe gas switching your OK and totaly in control.

VR3 is serious mony Cochran Comander is expensive and dificult to use. Vitec is cheap and does the job down to 55m

If you want more info just ask

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Seen the latest on the VR3 on UKRS?

Somebody who was put in the pot who'd been using a VR3 discovered that Delta P, unlike most manufacturers, refused to give the chamber the stuff to download from their computers unless they paid for it.

It's looking like this MIGHT have been a misunderstanding, but there's quite a few people who've suddenly concluded that the VR3 isn't for them after all..

Link

1 - 5 of 5 Posts