YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm a newbie to the site - so I will introduce myself on the correct forum later tonight - please bear with me :)

I have planned a diving trip to the Tor Bay area this weekend for my club Stowe BSAC (furthest point from any UK coastline :) Fri-Sun shore diving. We have had a unusual winter with almost constant North Easterlies for some time instead of the prevailing westerlies - wiping out the vis in the Tor Bay area :-( I am told it will be day's or weeks before vis improves significantly.

So the question is..... are there any alternative dive sites in South Devon / Cornwall with resonable vis and good shore diving???

As we are as far from the sea as you can get - I have many members Ocean and Sport divers that have never been in salt water - I am therefore keen to give them a resonable intro to UK sea diving :)

Any help / suggestions will be greatfully recieved.

Warm regards, Andy

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Andy,

Once you get West of Start Point in South Devon, the sea bed changes, it is generally more rocky or coarse sand. So vis tends to be better. Shore diving is common from Hope Cove and Thurlestone, with a small wreck possible, the Louis Sheid. Shore diving is also possible in Plymouth Sound, but is tide critical, so advice from the locals, ie Aquanauts in Plymouth would be worthwhile.

Adrian

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi,

Quite correct - Surfs up in the bay at the moment!

I was due to dive from plymouth on sunday just gone - but that didnt happen either - bloody wind!

I can give you an update nearer then end of the week on what the bay is like, but looking at the forcast it doesnt look great :-(

Somewhere like thurestone can be good, but i am not near enought to that to give any proper advice.

best regards,

anthony

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Vis has been terrible around Falmouth, north Cornish coast has been better but it's a bit far from Torbay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guy's - I'm not fussed about going elswhere (No accomadation booked etc) as long as I can get back into the salty stuff :) Hope Cove / Thurleston sounds interesting - has anyone been in that area recently??

·
Registered
20,638 Posts

·
Unusually Large Member
1,122 Posts
Hi Andy

Thurlestone/Hope Cove/Salcombe is your best bet at the mo.
Nearly made it down to Thurlestone on Sunday, but woke up with blocked ears.

Posted your DST today too.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
5 metres vis at the bottom of Firestone Bay yesterday, reasonable vis inshore just around from Penlee last Saturday, seemed to get worse as you went out from the coast. Kirsty had good vis at Bovi on Sunday as well.

It's been windy, but easterlies, so it's still fairly flat.

Aquanauts might have been out tonight. Turbs may be along in a bit, he'll know what the vis was like.

** Hot off the press - over 5m viz at the waterfront today and they had good viz on the Poulmic tonight.**

1 - 14 of 14 Posts