YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

The thread on tank boots got me thinking about this issue too. We're told not to use a console because 1) it hides and encourages corrosion, 2) it increases drag and 3) you don't need it.

Leaving aside arguments 2 (because it's bullshit) and 3 (because it's up to me to decide whether or not I need something), I've had my SPG (silver-coloured, chrome-plated?) in a console for 15 years and it still looks almost new.

I have a double console with my spg and back-up computer and like having them neatly assembled in one place. Until someone can give me a plausible reason for not doing so, I'll continue to use a console. I do remove and inspect the spg about once a year though.

There, that feels much better

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi John

IMO its not the actual console, its the hose its on. The 36" hoses usually supplied are far too long and will either hang from the plastic clip thing dragging and catching on everything or cause a large loop of hose if you choose to tuck it in a pocket or something, again potentially catching something. Even worse are those divers who choose to just let it dangle free and drag in the sand. Better to have a 24" hose and a nice stainless boltsnap attached to a DRing. More secure and neater, especially if your diving wrecks or whatever.

The console itself usually gives info that is larger superfluous. A depth guage (which you will already have on your wrist) a compass (which is easier to use on your wrist IMO) or even a computer (same as before) but as you said thats your choice. I had read something about a HP gauge leak may be hidden by the rubber boot but that is a side issue IMO and not that likely. Lastly if you haven't already got a console then they are more expensive than a simple Pressure Gauge but this doesn't apply to you.

Oh, and by not having boots on anything I inspect the gauge automatically on every dive rather then having to remember once a year.

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks for your sensible comments, WL. My console is on a 24" hose, clipped with a boltsnap to a D-ring on my TP II, just as you suggest. I have my primary computer on my wrist and just an spg and my back-up computer in the console. My compass (an ordinary Silva orienteering compass, price £10, works just fine) is in my TP pouch, on a string attached to another D-ring. I can get at it in a second if I need to and it is kept neatly out of the way when I don't. Of course, I could have my back-up computer on my wrist too but having it in a console with my spg is a neater set-up in my opinion.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>John M8

every one knows the reel reason to not have a console is its un coooool

All newbys get the standard kit: BCD, K-clamp regs and a console with all the bits and bobs in. The silly fools even get brightly coloured suits I meen I ask you.

Then when you get a bit more into it you note the coooool fashon trends and quickley strip the console bye a wing and spray everything black so as to gain the urber tec cool look.

Its all right for you retired types you can do anything you like you can wear those giant Y comfortable fronts and everything. Us younguns (cough) have to be fashon consious and I tell you those boxer sharts are bloddy uncomfortable.

All the best dude

Mark Chase

Reactions: Doug Parker

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

My argument would be that SPGs are fine in a console as you don't really have to be constantly consulting them, whereas (for me) computer/Depth Timer/depth gauge etc would go on my wrist(s) as they get checked probably once every minute or two. My Compass is on a bungee on the back of my hand as when I need it I want to be able to put it on left or right had as my feelings dictate.
As for SPG, usually i use a small and compact Beaver one which is in a single console, sometimes I put my apeks one on, this doesn't have a console. As for the console hiding leaks, when you've got a leak the bubbles are going to come out of the console, it's not gastight so I don't think it's hiding anything. Plus the o-rings in the spg swivel are all brand new.

Either way the hoses are the standard ones which if WL is correct would mean they are 36" (or 1 metre for those of us who think European), but there's no big loop as either one will be tidly clipped to my crotch-strap d-ring
I'll have to measure my hose when I get home (oo-er missus  
 )

WL, your post seems to assume that the console instruments are additional to wrist mounted ones, I think John was meaning "either/or".

On a related note, I was trying to get 'er indoors to clip her console onto a d-ring on the front of her BC and she was insistent that I allow her to put it into one of those hose clip thingies, which I don't find very "grippy" , so before our next outing I binned her console, cable-tied a boltsnap to the bare spg and didn't say anything  
How sneaky am I...  

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

You are truly Dr Evil.....

I have my console clipped up with a boltsnap too.  in fact cable-tieing a boltsnap to my console for that purpose was my very first individual thought as a baby diver!  i too found the hose clips to be more "hose slips" so I binned it and never looked back.

The depth gauge that happens to be in the console is my backup in case the computer goes kaput.  One day that might go but today is is still useful to me so it stays.

Lou

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ July 09 2003,14:48)]John M8

every one knows the reel reason to not have a console is its un coooool
Even cooler is to buy one, rip it apart and bungy all the guages to wrists, D rings etc. Tidy up the ends with duck tape

Probably loose all circulation in the wrists by hey -  beats the shades  

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Boots on gauges and hose protectors are considered shite in some circles because you cannot see the last 2 inches of hoses as it's covered up.  No covers mean you can check your kit in seconds just before you put it on.  The 2 hoses i've seen burst, have both gone at the crimped bit on the ends.  So in my opinion consoles and hose protectors are for muppets.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

I have a 3 pce console (Dacor) on my Mares regs and I will soon be replacing this, poss for just a SPG.

Why?

Well, the compass is knackered, the dpth gauge is ok if you want accuracy of +/- 5m or so, so really quite useless and its just too darn heavy.

Everything else I have on my wrists.

Thats just me tho.  If I had a good console to start then I'd keep it.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Well folks, somebody up there decided to punish me for starting this thread. I went diving this evening, did a giant stride from the boat as usual and BANG!! My high pressure hose burst. It was at the end attached to my first stage, though, not at the end inside the console.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Doug

You could very well argue that not using hose protectors to support the end of your hose where the stress concentration occurs as it meets the metal crimp is hastening the damage and hence making it more likley that it will go.  Besides my hose protectors slide down easily enough to allow me to check all my hoses as I kit up.

So i guess i am a muppet...."its time to put on make-up...its time to light the lights...." la la la

Cheers

Lou

ps  Bad luck John.  But then no matter how much you check, it could still happen!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

It did  

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

and as it went at the 1st stage end it presumably wasn't anything to do with whether it was a console or an spg. Unless of course it was caused by all the extra weight of a console......

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

OK, I'm wading in now.

I can't have my gauge without a boot of any sort, as they would get the beating of their lives being dropped every ten minutes! So, I've found the best of both worlds. I have a boot, but it does not cover any part of the swivel or hose. It goes exactly around the top of the gauge, where it needs protecting, and now I have 2, for both my SPGs. It's a suunto boot to go on the single gauge they sell. I got one gauge with it already on, and when I took the 3 in-line I have apart, I got another for £2. Thank you, penzance dive centre.

This is fine for Stoney, where I don't use a compass (as I could find my way home from just about anywhere in there) but in the sea it gets different. I have a 3 in-line console on one side, and a diddy SPG on the other. To keep them where I want them, I have a little loop on the console, and a boltsnap on the SPG. The snap goes on the loop, and they can do nothing but sit right in front of me. If I've got a diddy hole I'm trying to get into, I bring my hand down to cover the 3 in line, and the console just sits under my hand perfectly. Don't ask me why it works so well, but it does.

I'll be doing a similar thing with the 2 spgs when I get round to it.

I have to have 2 SPGs, as I'm on indies. If I was manifolded, I'd only have one.

The drag issue on the hoses makes little difference to me, to be honest. I've never had a problem with it, and I barely notice the difference of adding a stage, so having a few extra inches of hose isn't going to make a lot of difference. Then again, I don't know how long my HP hoses actually are. Have I been DIR all this time without knowing? Probably not. At all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ July 22 2003,12:47)]OK, I'm wading in now.

I can't have my gauge without a boot of any sort, as they would get the beating of their lives being dropped every ten minutes! So, I've found the best of both worlds. I have a boot, but it does not cover any part of the swivel or hose. It goes exactly around the top of the gauge, where it needs protecting, and now I have 2, for both my SPGs. It's a suunto boot to go on the single gauge they sell. I got one gauge with it already on, and when I took the 3 in-line I have apart, I got another for £2. Thank you, penzance dive centre.

This is fine for Stoney, where I don't use a compass (as I could find my way home from just about anywhere in there) but in the sea it gets different. I have a 3 in-line console on one side, and a diddy SPG on the other. To keep them where I want them, I have a little loop on the console, and a boltsnap on the SPG. The snap goes on the loop, and they can do nothing but sit right in front of me. If I've got a diddy hole I'm trying to get into, I bring my hand down to cover the 3 in line, and the console just sits under my hand perfectly. Don't ask me why it works so well, but it does.

I'll be doing a similar thing with the 2 spgs when I get round to it.

I have to have 2 SPGs, as I'm on indies. If I was manifolded, I'd only have one.

The drag issue on the hoses makes little difference to me, to be honest. I've never had a problem with it, and I barely notice the difference of adding a stage, so having a few extra inches of hose isn't going to make a lot of difference. Then again, I don't know how long my HP hoses actually are. Have I been DIR all this time without knowing? Probably not. At all.
Consoles aren't bad nor are single SPG's. I can't imagine my instruments without protection though. Have you ever squeezed through an opening in a wreck with 4 tanks? It can be tricky. Or side sling the pony and go through a windscreen of a bus (UW obviously). I managed to scratch the face of one of my gauges regardless but at least it still works. So boots can save more than they damage FOR ME.  

As far as leaks go, I had a minor one earlier on and I noticed it right away  
This is the one on my console. So bubbles do escape from the rubber or plastic boot.

About the drag, I have all the gauges attached to surgical tubing and bolt snaps close to by chest. Now I cannot blame that for being an air hog  
I have to find some thing else. The wing have bungees too and I shaved my head LOL......

Take care every one.

Lawrence

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I had a triple console but the hose swivel connection to the pressure gauge was always developing small leakes.  I was told it was due to the extra weight so I took it off.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I had a double console, but when I got my wrist-mounted D-timer to back up my wrist-mounted computer, I just didn't see the point in keeping the bulky thing. Gave it to somebody off D-net, in fact.

I've used triples in the past, found it a PITA trying to use a compass on a console tho. Besides, my Wrist Unit is far cooler

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ July 22 2003,17:47)]I have to have 2 SPGs, as I'm on indies. If I was manifolded, I'd only have one.
As I own 3 SPGs I have one on each cylinder. If diving with the manifold open; ie when diving with 3 cylinders (Have a FFM and only have a 2 way gas switch) I bungee the extra SPG to its cylinder out of the way but where I can get to it if I have to close the manifold and breathe off that cylinder. Over cautious - maybe.

By the bye, because I have a FFM I also have a second stage on every cylinder to act as a "burst point" in case of first stage failure (thanks to Dominic and Mark Chase, I believe, for passing on that bit of knowledge) + whatever failure I can bail out of the FFM to any source of gas. When I go diving it looks like I walked through the dive shop and got all the stock caught up on my dive kit. With perseverance and a good bit of fiddling it all looks pretty tidy (now) despite the amount of stuff I carry.

In answer to Dominic's original post I always leave the boots on everything as they will help prevent damage and they are easy enough to slide off to check the hoses - which I have not done for ages and now you have all made me nervous.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Imported post

v useful thread guys. Triple muppet console, hose clipped to D ring across chest, putter on wrist. The bolt snap sounds like a good idea, I'll have to get one and replace the hose clip.
Thanks.
Or, wrist mounting everything apart from spg attached to D ring through the nose  

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I wonder if there is some way I can keep the SPGs permanently fixed inside my FFM (whilst diving) - sort of an analogue version of a heads up display.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts