YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been many threads about wearing contact lenses while diving. One of the common concerns is about losing a lens during mask removal or a flood, something which has not troubled me during repeated training.

Yesterday they had the ultimate test, coasteering. This involved jumping off rocks into the sea from up to 10 metres. My intention was to keep my eyes shut until after I surfaced, but the 1st time that I jumped in, from about 5 metres, I opened my eyes under water and had no trouble.

I had packed a spare pair of lenses, so decided to see just how far I could go before they came out. 1st of all I kept my eyes open during a whole jump, no problem, then on higher jumps, still no problem, and finally did a 3m swim-through with my eyes open the whole time. Still perfect.

One thing that I did notice was that my eyes did not sting at all during the whole day and were still perfect when I arrived home many hours later.

The lenses that I use are Specsavers Easyvision Umere.

·
rEvolutionary HPDW'ing
1,150 Posts
I too find that mask off drills in salt water are much less taxing on the eyes with my lenses in. I just don't seem to have the same redness afterwards.

I did have one fold over whilst diving once and had to take off my mask to let it naturally take its shape in the water, they seem to just pop back in to shape when immersed in water.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I've lost one lens in the past 8 years of diving with them. Seeing as I make daily disposables last at least a month, that's pretty good going.

·
rEvolutionary HPDW'ing
1,150 Posts
I've lost one lens in the past 8 years of diving with them. Seeing as I make daily disposables last at least a month, that's pretty good going.
And not to mention stingy, even by my Yorkshire standards!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was advised by the optician that if opening eyes underwater with lenses in that the lenses be taken out / changed as soon as possible to avoid eye infection from bacteria in the water. As I used disposables, I just take them out at the end of a diving day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was advised by the optician that if opening eyes underwater with lenses in that the lenses be taken out / changed as soon as possible to avoid eye infection from bacteria in the water. As I used disposables, I just take them out at the end of a diving day.
I received similar advice. I was told that being submerged means that unclean water can get under the lenses and get trapped there. I haven't yet taken my mask off with lenses in (I've only recently started wearing them) but I think I'll just give them a good clean afterwards when I do.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My optician also dives with contact lenses and so was able to give me 1st hand advice. He put me on the daily disposables as they are less hassle and not a great problem if one did get dislodged. He was not worried about picking up an eye infection and thinks that the possibilities are less with the lenses in. We did not discuss the other types of contact lenses, but I suspect that there could be a greater risk with reusable ones.

·
Diving is expensive, live with it!
1,215 Posts
I think that that is just standard advice, based on no testing/knowledge. As such, it's probably overly cautious.

I've worn contact lenses for over 20 years, so throughout my diving 'career'. The only issue I've had with lenses in all that time, including using monthly and now daily disposables, was one that I lost just as I was kitting up.

I've done a reasonable amount of instruction while wearing contact lenses, including a memorable 2 1 hour dives on the 6m shelf at Stoney repeatedly demonstrating mask clearing and removal/replacement, all without a single issue.

Do be careful of keeping lenses clean generally - I had a very bad hit of conjunctivitis just before I started diving that was entirely down to pushing monthly disposables - but in my experience, diving won't cause an issue.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
I think that that is just standard advice, based on no testing/knowledge. As such, it's probably overly cautious.
The issue is due to small organisms (amoebas) becoming trapped between the lens and your eyeball causing Acanthamoeba Keratitis. Cryptosporidium can also burrow into your eyeball if held against it by a contact lens.

If you use Daily disposables you should be ok. It's more monthly users who should take care as the cleaning solution won't kill Acanthamoeba.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts