YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently taken the plunge and taken my hideously astigmatised eyes to Vision Express and challenged them to fit me with contact lenses.

I am still getting used to them but it is so weird having peripheral vision, I have never experienced that before!!

Anyhoo, the reason for this thread is to find out what experience there is out there for users of CL's during diving.

I am aware that it is not recommended for users of CL's to allow them to get wet, ie duing a mask flood, however I have never had one in over 11 years (just lucky I guess!).

I am also aware of the fact that some blurring occurs on ascent as small bubbles appear in the liquid between the CL and the eye but what I want to know is exactly what other people have experienced and how bad does this blurring get?

Any other tips also welcome.

Please don't be concerned that I will be using them in water before I am completely happy and comfortable with them, I won't.

Regards
Midnight

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Well I only wear my CL for diving. Only once have I lost a lens. It 'popped' out whilst I was equalising and sat inside the mask, almost mocking me, throughout the dive. Very frustrating being able to see it sitting there and not being able to see outside the mask!

Other than that I don't even know I'm wearing them other than being able to actually see under water (viz allowing, of course)!

I've experienced nothing bad, just be careful on the surface if you're de-misting them! Take a few spare pairs just in case you do lose one so you are able to see on the next dive!

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
I am also aware of the fact that some blurring occurs on ascent as small bubbles appear in the liquid between the CL and the eye but what I want to know is exactly what other people have experienced and how bad does this blurring get?
What sort of lenses are they?

I've been using soft lenses for years. I've never lost one diving. I have lost a few surfing. Splashes seem more likely to dislodge them than a mask flood.

The advice I've seen is that if you get them wet, you should throw them away. The lenses are a perfect breeding ground for all sorts of nasties. It's unlikely you'll have a problem but there are horror stories about people getting bad infections from things like camping ground showers, nevermind our polluted seas. So I use daily disposables.

Jason

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What sort of lenses are they?
Monthly disposables. As they were recommended as the most cost effective option.

Does not the cleaning / storage fluid supplied also get rid of the "nasties"?

Regards
Midnight

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I have worn daily disposables for years. I have never lost one diving, and have had my mask ripped of and all sorts. I don't wear them in the pool though, as the clorine tends to irritate. With dailies, if I lose one, no problem, there is always a spare pair in my kit.

I went for dailies because of the laziness factor, and the hygene. The monthlies may be slightly more cost effective, but how do you put a cost on the health of your eyes. i saw a documentry once which was about the nasties that grow in contacts, that was the day I went to dailies. (Actually, i went to glasses for about a week because I refused to put the CL's in my eyes again!

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
I use daily dissposables for diving and when i play football.

Not had any problem durring dives, and this includes long deep deco dives of 2hr plus.

The only thing i have noticed is that towards the end of the day they dry out and start to irratate your eyes a bit (after 7-8hrs of use), so normaly on the ride home:)

ATB
Gareth

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I have dreadful astigmatism too and use soft monthly disposables - mostly for diving and watersports. Dailies are basically impossible to get on my prescription so not much choice there!

Never had the "bubbles" occur, never had an issue at all. I do use peroxide cleaner and storage case instead of the usual cleaner and seperate storage. This was recommended to me by the optician as a safer cleanse for bugs etc, given the potential for infection.

Also, you need to use the month-ish time lapse, rather than the 30 wears as the "month", and throw them away after that, so cost per wear is high if you only wear them for diving :D

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I don't like monthly lenses for diving as i found that once you got a bit of salt water in them then they caused a bit of irritation for the rest of the month. I use daily disposables bought from the US as they are loads cheaper than here and it doesn't matter if you lose them. Works out about £6 a month per eye as opposed to about £12 a month here. You also save on not having solutions and avoid the lovely situation of putting un-neutralised peroxide in your eye :D

Opticians in this country are a total rip-off when you see how much they actually pay wholesale for frames, glass and contact lenses. The mark-up is huuuuuuuuuge. Makes dive shops look reasonable :)

Buy Contact Lenses Online at Lens.com ®

Cheers,

Stuart

·
4,099 Posts
Monthly disposables. As they were recommended as the most cost effective option.

Does not the cleaning / storage fluid supplied also get rid of the "nasties"?
If you can get dailies for your prescription, the most cost effective option might be to order them from the US via the net. Or you could just get dailies for diving.

What sort of cleaning solutions? If it's a two step, peroxide based one, then that does kill most things. The one-solution-does-all isn't as effective at killing stuff off.

Jason

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I use Acuvue daily disposable lenses and reuse them for up to a month with no problems. In fact I find them more comfortable on day 2 onwards after soaking them overnight. I've even slept in them on the odd occasion.

I've only ever lost one lens whilst diving - whilst on a course with Mark Powell! I can swim with my eyes open underwater without the lenses flushing out.

If you can get dailies in your prescription, buy a box for use whilst diving as losing a monthly lens would be expensive.

·
Strokier than a petting zoo
899 Posts
I used to use the monthly lenses but got lazy and switched over to the dailies. Before I switched I used to buy a pack of the dailies purely for diving just in case I lost one. I've never experienced any problems even when practising mask clearing and deliberately flooding my mask. As for the misting on ascent I've never experienced that either. I always carry a couple of spare pairs in my kit box should I have any mishaps though.

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
I am on a 'part time wear' contract from Specsavers. I get a box of thirty lenses for each eye to last three months for ten pounds a month. That works out as £15.00 per box of 70% water content daily wear lenses, delivered. The American site quotes 52% water lenses at $19.00 (£9.50) if you buy five boxes for each eye, plus delivery.

For my extra £6.00 per box, I get a free yearly contact lens check (very thorough), local service and a half price pair of glasses with lenses if I want them.

I reckon it's money well spent supporting my 'LOS'. Given how loud we shout about supporting our LDS rather than internet shopping, I know what I'm going to carry on doing. After all, who is going to test your eyes when the local shop has to shut?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
What sort of cleaning solutions? If it's a two step, peroxide based one, then that does kill most things. The one-solution-does-all isn't as effective at killing stuff off.

Jason
Hmm. Well, most of the two-step solutions I was offered weren't peroxide based. Only the single step with the neutralising case was, and that was recommended as the strongest cleaning agent.

·
4,099 Posts
Hmm. Well, most of the two-step solutions I was offered weren't peroxide based. Only the single step with the neutralising case was, and that was recommended as the strongest cleaning agent.
I've not used solutions in years. Last time I did, using a neutralising tablet was the latest innovation. Presumably you have to wait a certain amount of time before the peroxide is neutralised? With some of the one step stuff it's OK to put it straight in your eye having just squirted it on, so really, how lethal is that going to be to anything? Peroxide hurts like hell.

Jason

·
4,099 Posts
I reckon it's money well spent supporting my 'LOS'. Given how loud we shout about supporting our LDS rather than internet shopping, I know what I'm going to carry on doing. After all, who is going to tet your eyes when the local shop has to shut?
Mine are $73 from the US or £63 from the Specsavers website for exactly the same lenses. It used to be a lot worse and I suspect it's still more expensive from a shop.

I can't see the multi-national optician chains going bust anytime soon.

Jason

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I've not used solutions in years. Last time I did, using a neutralising tablet was the latest innovation. Presumably you have to wait a certain amount of time before the peroxide is neutralised? With some of the one step stuff it's OK to put it straight in your eye having just squirted it on, so really, how lethal is that going to be to anything? Peroxide hurts like hell.

Jason
Yep, it is an overnight thing. Peroxide into case, lenses into carrier - which oncorporates a metallic block. Carrier into case. The metal block then reacts with the peroxide and the whole lot fizzes for a while. when it stops fizzing you have (presumably) sterile H20 in the case and nice dead bugs. Putting them in your eyes before reaction is complete is...erm...not advisable!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Recently I've been using these;

daysoft®uv daily disposable contact lenses

they're perhaps not as cheap as importing from the states but I usually get them next day if I order before lunch and they are much cheaper than anywhere else in the UK.

You get a free sample with every pack so if you don't like them you can send them back for a refund.

However, with any luck I've bought my last pack. Unless something crops up I'm getting my eyes lasered in a couple of weeks.

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. Lots of brilliant information there.

I am looking forward to the day that I can try them out on a dive. I am currently up to about a comfortable 3hours. But I want to be much more used to them before I take them under water.

I will check out the internet sites also. There was a couple recommended but I want to be sure that my peculiar prescription is bang-on befor I go down that route.

Thanks again
Midnight

·
4,099 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I first started wearing contact lenses in about 1980, they were about £200 then and that was a lot of money to an impoverished student. Like most people I had the fun of forgeting to neutralise them a few times.

Nowadays I wear daily disposables like most people I guess. Bought from specsavers mainly coz I'm lazy, but I only really use them for sport. A box of 30 last me a while.

I have slight astigmatism, but not bad, my glasses correct it but my lenses don't, it's not bad enough to bother me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts