YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Cooker bit me!

799 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  ANDY 64 
#1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hey guys, i have a solid hob cooker, and it keeps on giving me electric shocks from the solid black plates and through my expensive saucepan handles (saucepans being Lecruset ones with metal hanging bits on the handle ends) - but NOT giving my other half any shocks at all....

They bloody hurt, and my fingers and hand tingle for a while afterwards.

Why is my cooker trying to kill me?

and more to the point how the hell do i get it to stop!?

#2 ·
Imported post

Bite it back!

Seriously Sounds like it's shorting inside. I really wouldn't use it in it's current state - you might give yourself a serious shock - and if you're not comfortable with electrickery, then get in someone qualified who is.

Not wishing to be a doom-monger, but it's scary the number of people who do themselves serious damage by dodgy electric appliances.

Laters,
   Janos

#4 ·
Imported post

Porg

Does it bite in and "electric shock" kind of way or is it just heavy static?

If it's electric, get it looked at by an electrician. If it's static, stop wearing cheap polyester clothes and get some descent kit. (or borrow hubbies)

James

#5 ·
Imported post

Porg,

I'm guessing, but the difference could be that your bloke is not providing a good path to ground - he could be wearing thick soled shoes or something, and you're in bare feet or socks.

I once had a major shock from a light fitting - I was scrubbing some crap of the wall and the water trickled inside - my own stupid fault - but i nearly did myself serious damage. (As it was I just fell of the ladder)

If it is just a static shock then don't worry, but if it is something more than that do get it checked out by someone reputable if you're not confident to do it y'self.

Laters,
   Janos

#9 ·
Imported post

porg possibilities for your cooker are
1 the cooker has lost its cpc ( earth connection )
2 your other kitchen furniture is not bonded to the main earthing terminal  eg metal sink . this can cause a potential differance of voltage .
3. you built up static and discharged yourself on the cooker
treat this seriously porg because it maybe a potentially fatal fault get a qualified electrician to check it out look in the yellow pages for NICEIC reg' company.
cheers paul
ps obviously i'd come round and have a shufty for you but i live in bradford  

#14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Juz @ Feb. 04 2004,15:27)]Isn't it to get nearer to the washing up bowl?

Juz
Ah, that's what the answer is - I've been wondering for ages.

Juz, you're a braver man than I to post that reply.

I, for one, would never wish to be so narrow minded. Surely the same would apply to the cooker?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.