YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

cornwall diving?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  darren barker 
#1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Guys
The last two weeks in August we will be on holiday in perranporth and then padstow. Thought I might pack my diving kit and see if I can sneak off and do some.
Can anyone either recommend good dive operators in either of these locations with whom I could book onto a boat trip and get buddied up, or  good dives to do, or even better invite me to go diving with them?
Never been to cornwall before so also interested in any suggestions for good things to do with teenage kids .

cheers
Jules
x

#2 ·
Imported post

Hi Jules,

You could try Porthkerris divers they're near Helston and based in St. Keverne - really good outfit. They are about 45 minutes from Padstow and I'm sorry but I don't know the distance to them from your first port of call. There is a trip report in the appropriate section.

Cheers and I'll see you in Anglesey soon,

Noel

#3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>We've got a holiday home in North Cornwall, which we always used to go to for surfing, yet alas did not really think about the diving opportunities at the time.

I can reccomend Looe Divers, but they're a bit out of the way for you. They are very good, especially knowledgable about Deep Wrecks and sites in the area. I did a drysuit course with them a while back and they were very good.

Now, as for stuff to occupy teenagers. Go to Polzeath Beach and rent out wetsuits and surfboards/bodyboards. Tell them to teach themselves (it's all very self-explanatory at the beginning) and sit down in your deck-chair for at least 2 hours of peace. It's one of the best places for a beginner, and can produce some very reasonable waves all year round. You'll have them wanting to go back day after day.

Blackwater, near Newquay is a fair drive, but has a Quad-Biking centre that keeps things interesting. They've got a jump about half way round the track that I took off, and got one of the best photos my dad has ever managed. Made me look dead adventurous, like. He's yet to get a decent one of me diving. Always makes me look fat and out of practice. I wonder why?

Eden Project is a fair distance away, but definitely worth it. It was still being built, and kept me as a spotty teenager entertained and fascinated for the day. Now it's finished, it's spectacular. Get them to watch the new bond movie (there's a whole big scene with it featuring heavily), and then take them there. Not a bad idea, eh? A quiet night in, and a good day out. The windows alone kept me fascinated for about an hour. You know there's 3 layers of plastic, with gas pumped into the gap in the middle? The science of it really is quite clever. And that's coming from me!

Newquay's pretty good for shops and stuff if you need a distraction, and is very safe to leave teenagers for the day. You could get a day's diving in that way.

Whatever anyone tries to tell you. AVOID FLAMBARDS. It's possibly the most over-rated theme park in the country. All the Cornish go on like it's Disneyland, mostly because they've never been to either. OK for 5 year-olds, useless for a teenager that's ever been anywhere more interesting than a condom factory. The Donkey Sanctuary is in a similar vein, as is the Seal Sanctuary. Of you want wildlife, go to the sea-life centre at Newquay.

As for more ideas, there are loads of tourist options around. I'd imagine pretty much all the hotels and B&Bs there will have a wadge of leaflets.

#7 ·
Imported post

Hmmm, interestingly I would say avoid Looe Divers if possible.  We had an "interesting" weekend with them a month or so back and I wouldn't use them again unless something changed.

I would recommend Dive Action on the Lizard.  Gary is a "character" but he is sound on and in the water.

#8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I recommend Cornish Diving in Falmouth for boat diving, they're right opposite the National Maritime Museum on the harbour front & cover a huge area of Falmouth Bay & Manacles. Theres some shallow submarine wrecks on a shore dive nearby (Pendennis Headland) although they're well broken. www.cornishdiving.co.uk  

Porthkerris run boats out to the Manacles Wrecks & Reefs & has a half decent beach dive. If your family dont like diving theres the beach and cafe at the dive centre and Flambards Theme Park nearby in Helston.

For more adventurous diving try the charter boats out of Penzance heading around the Lands End area.

Have a Good Time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.