YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Off to Cornwall for me jollies on Friday (with the family). I've got enough brownie points to get in a couple 'O' dives. I shoulda past my Recreational Trimix course by then, so will be qualified down to 48MSW. I was hoping someone could recomend some good dives and dive centres.

Cheers Dave

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Off to Cornwall for me jollies on Friday (with the family). I've got enough brownie points to get in a couple 'O' dives. I shoulda past my Recreational Trimix course by the so will be qualified down to 48MSW. So I was hoping someone could recomend some good dives and dive centres.

Cheers Dave
Good luck finding a dive centre in Cornwall. Dive St Ives and the one in Hayle have both closed (or were looking very closed this weekend just gone). We were camping at Lamorna Cove and had to go to St Hilary (near Penzance) for air fills at a campsite called Trevair Touring Park. Not sure if any centres are open in Penzance, but the next nearest place is at Porthkerris on the Lizard.

Diving in Cornwall, courses, basking shark trips, Diving Cornwall

Have fun!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
And don't forget the lovely Gary at Dive Action - he runs both a hardboat and RIBs, and has gas (incl. Trimix) onsite at St Keverne on the Lizard.

He is a bit of a wreckie and an RB instructor on at least two units and can probably help you with sites etc.

·
16,005 Posts
And don't forget the lovely Gary at Dive Action - he runs both a hardboat and RIBs, and has gas (incl. Trimix) onsite at St Keverne on the Lizard.

He is a bit of a wreckie and an RB instructor on at least two units and can probably help you with sites etc.
Oh yes, I forgot the lovely Gary :redface:

·
A man of many talents - sadly all well hidden...
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try Newquay

Off to Cornwall for me jollies on Friday (with the family). I've got enough brownie points to get in a couple 'O' dives. I shoulda past my Recreational Trimix course by then, so will be qualified down to 48MSW. I was hoping someone could recomend some good dives and dive centres.

Cheers Dave
Hi
Give Chris Lowe at Newquay Divers a ring.
He has spaces sometimes and has air / trimix etc
Regards
Fiona

·
16,005 Posts
We're (me, Calamity and Little Urchin) are going to be down at the same time. We also found these people: Sea Fans Scuba School, Meanporth Beach, Cornwall and are using: Seaways Diving & Marine, Diving equipment sales & servicing - Penryn, Cornwall and the Rib of these folks: Starfish Divers - North Cornwall.

And we're having a jaunt up to Plymouth to dive with Aquanauts on the 21st and 22nd...... Turbie and Kristie beware ;)
The little dive centre at Maenporth was all closed up when we looked a couple of years ago - nice to know it's up and running now. :)

As for 21/22 August - I'll be at work during the day but Turbs might well be on the boat with some students. We'll probably be diving on the Weds evening (6pm boat) if you're on that one.

·
Mark Milburn
4,077 Posts

Cheers Dave
Where are you staying?

There are several places around Cornwall that are usefull.

I would normally say you could join me for a few dives over the weekend, but I'm diving out of Falmouth on either Autumn Dream or Cornish Pussy if Shaun doesn't get back in time.

OK, facts!

Porthkerris have a RHIB and a hardboat, they are more recreational depth orientated unless you have a group wanting to go deeper than 30m. They have nitrox but no Trimix.

Gary Fox at Dive Action is very busy, he's doing Autumn Dreams charters while Shaun is away so may have a space or two. He does trimix and will take the boat (RHIB or hardboat) out if you have a group.

Sea Fans are a PADI dive school.

Seaways is a shop that does trimix, they also organise trips on local boats, including Autumn Dream, Westbay Lass and Craigs (starfish) RHIB.

Chris Lowe runs a boat called Atlantic Diver from Newquay, he also does fishing trips. If he has a trip with a space he'll take you out. The hotel Trelinda in Newquay no longer does air fills!

Sal diving is a PADI centre, no trimix or dives deeper than 30m.

Neither Dive St. Ives or Gulfstream seem to be answering the phone. I did hear that Gulfstream had closed (several times) but not Dive St. Ives.

Cornish Diving in Falmouth are still operating and are up for sale, they do trimix and have a couple of boats. What they are up to? I have no idea.

·
16,005 Posts
Neither Dive St. Ives or Gulfstream seem to be answering the phone. I did hear that Gulfstream had closed (several times) but not Dive St. Ives.
Gulfstream is definitely closed - we looked in at the shop and it's empty and locked up.

We were told by the bloke at Trevair that Dive St Ives had folded, and when we went to St Ives the metal shutters were down when you'd've thought they'd be open (lunchtime on a Friday in August).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sea acres caravan park on the Lizard has a small diving centre (Kennack diving) that do air fills, but no nitrox, they seamed mainly to be a Padi School, I was on a family holiday so just did a couple of shore dives at porth kerris, Pimped for a buddy on the beach there! Their boats go out everyday I think. It is a private beach, £5 to park including shore dive.

Dennis or dave at kennack diving said that Dive St Ives had gone bust.

Gareth

·
A man of many talents - sadly all well hidden...
1,339 Posts
The little dive centre at Maenporth was all closed up when we looked a couple of years ago - nice to know it's up and running now. :) .
There's an article in Sport Diver this month featuring Seafans on the U-Boats at Pendennis (Done those? Any good?) if you're interested.

As for 21/22 August - I'll be at work during the day but Turbs might well be on the boat with some students. We'll probably be diving on the Weds evening (6pm boat) if you're on that one.
We're on the boat on the 21st even though it's doing shallow stuff, I was told they have OW students that day so possibly Turbs is doing those? Hope so be good to put a face to the name, or if either of you or around for a quick beer somewhere near the shop?

I saw the evening dive on the 22nd on the schedule but I don't reckon I can do that, I think my gang will want to push off, we've got to get back to Falmouth that evening.

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Hope so be good to put a face to the name, or if either of you or around for a quick beer somewhere near the shop?
Kirstie - whatever you do, don't start drinking with Tony - he forces alcohol down you :embarassed: :angel:

:D

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Seafans has been running since 2005. Gaynor, who owns and runs it, is very helpful should you need info on local dive sites.

Pendennis U-boats - They're ok. Less than 2 miles from my front door I have dived there loads. There are remains of some Uboats if you go out from where the steps lead to the shore.

However, if you drive around the point you will see, before you come to the layby where you can park, on the left hand side there is a gap in the fence.

If you go in here, directly in front of the path that you walk down, you will see loads more Uboat wreckage than the normal site everybody goes to.

It's an ok dive if nothing else is going on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cornwall diving

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'll be stoping at St Tudy. It's pretty central and I'll have the car.

I think I'll give the hard boat opperators a bell as twins can be a bit of a bitch with twin twelves.

Dave

·
16,005 Posts
We're on the boat on the 21st even though it's doing shallow stuff, I was told they have OW students that day so possibly Turbs is doing those? Hope so be good to put a face to the name, or if either of you or around for a quick beer somewhere near the shop?

I saw the evening dive on the 22nd on the schedule but I don't reckon I can do that, I think my gang will want to push off, we've got to get back to Falmouth that evening.
If you're still around at 5.30pm on the 21st I usually wander down and meet Turbs when I finish work, and we normally have a swift half on the way home at the Marina Bar beside Aquanauts. :)

There's a good chance he'll be on the boat with you, at the very least he'll be hanging around the shop.

I'll pm you my mobile number so you can let us know what your plans are.

·
Mark Milburn
4,077 Posts
There's no one near St Tudy! The best diving in Cornwall isn't far, just no boat operators.

Best bet is Chris Lowe at Newquay, then maybe Looe Divers is your next closest.

Then Falmouth then Porthkerris.

As I said pity I'm out of Falmouth, I keep my boat at Wadebridge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.