YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi,
I'm recently back from spending of bit of time on Jura  tidying up and generally behaving like cavemen.
On the way there and back we passed through the whirlpool between Jura and scarba -Absolutely fascinating bit of water and one of the hairiest boat rides yet! :)  standing 3 foot waves - nice!!

It got me thinking does anyone know of any articles , books etc concerning diving or marine life in the Corryvreckan whirlpool?? apparently according to one of the local skippers this is possible at certain tides, and allegedly national geographic did a film a few years ago. I've tried searching the Interweb but to no avail.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

If you can show evidence of over 500 UK dives, including serious drift dives, then I can let you have the contact details of someone with a planned trip to Corryvrecken.

Dave Ainsley skipper of "The Popoise" should have info on the site, his contact details should be in the advert sections of any of the major dive mags.
There was a TV prog a couple of years ago featuring Graeme Bruce and others diving CV. Not for the faint hearted!

HTH
Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Hi Steve,
Thanks,not sure but i think you might have got the wrong end of the stick  i'm certainly not even considering diving the whirlpool i don't have 50 uk dives yet nevermind 500 :) - complete respect to those who do dive there.

Just scouting around for any diving info on this amazing piece of water, would make a change from the usual batch of Doria stories.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,914 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I know a story about that;
Kelpie of Corryvrecken.
It goes along the lines of a fair maiden walking over the moors to the Beltane Eve rejoicings and out of the blue a mounted horseman appeared. He grabbed the maiden and went galloping off to the sea-shore.
 He dismounted and asked the lady if she would be his, a so suas a chaoidh(for evermore). The girl bewildered by this frantic horse journey and proposition asked if the rider was taking her to a dwelling across the sea, or if he had a boat waiting, to which he replied;
"I have no dwelling beyond the sea,
I have no good ship waiting for thee,
Thou shalt sleep with me on a couch of foam,
And the Corryvrecken shall be thy home"
  Only now did she realise that the dreaded Kelpie of Corryvrecken had her, who could assume mans form at will. She looked at the horse and saw that its saddle was of seaweed, its bridle of pearl, and its bit of coral. Its mane was like the froth of the waves and, as she gazed, it plunged into the billows and became one with the foam of the sea. It's rider then seized her in his arms and took her with him into the green depths. The maidens cries were heard above the loud roaring of the blast as they sank;
"Down to the rocks where the serpents creep,
Twice five hundred fathoms deep"
Next morning, a fisherman saw her corpse floating near the shore and recocnised her by her lily-white skin and Golden hair. She was buried under a rock on the shore with the noise of the waves as her requiem.
Every year, on Beltane Eve, it is said that the Kelpie gallops across the vrecken on his sea horse, swift as the wind, with the mournful maiden held on the saddle before him.

I think diving is the least of your worries there lads.

Peter

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I wouldn`t want to sit though Dave Ainsleys briefing for this site!!

It would last about 3 hours and by that time the whole of the group would have changed their minds about diving it at least twice!!

He is a great skipper though!!

Paul

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've spoken to Dave about the Corry and frankly he didn't make it sound as hairy as some others do.

29m to the tip of the pinacle and then get up before the tide turns.

Dave helped to shoot a documentary there a few years ago and they lost one of the ROVs in the shoot but thankfully no divers.

Dave does do a "very comprehensive" briefing but I know the reason for this even if it can be slightly wearing.

However if you want to dive the Gavellachs then I can think of no better skipper for safety.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ July 16 2003,12:52)]Dave does do a "very comprehensive" briefing but I know the reason for this even if it can be slightly wearing.

However if you want to dive the Gavellachs then I can think of no better skipper for safety.
His briefings do tend to go on a bit, but at least there accurate and I would agree he is a good skipper.
Wouldn't like to pay the fuel bill for his boat though, heard he had re-engined with 800hp

Andy

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>He said he was gonna sort the boat out ... what it really needed was a scrub to get all the hydroids off the bottom!!

I might give Dave a call soonish and organise a wee trip there this summer - I love the Garvellachs - even a wreckie like me likes a scurry about a wall every now and then.

Especially when the water is so clear there.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I was talking to him in march about his new boat. A cat with a rather large lump (or 2 I think) giving it quite a kick. Not sure what he is doing about that at the moment. I think it might be one of those projects you wish you never started.

The good thing with Dave is that he dives still on a regular basis, so he knows what the sites are like in real time. He does over emphasise the safety aspects, but then as well as being a very safe skipper to be with in quite a demanding area he (I wouldn`t wish this on any skipper) has had a double fatality on board a couple of years ago - BSAC expedition.

Paul

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I wasn't gonna mention that - I did the same dive this year.

I hope he does get the new boat and I'll be diving with him again.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

For interested parties, Dave Ainsley and "The Porpoise" are the subject of this month's charter boat review in Dive magazine, no mention of this twin engined Cat  

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (_G_ @ July 15 2003,14:08)]It got me thinking does anyone know of any articles , books etc concerning diving or marine life in the Corryvreckan whirlpool?? apparently according to one of the local skippers this is possible at certain tides, and allegedly national geographic did a film a few years ago. I've tried searching the Interweb but to no avail.

cheers

Graham
Gordon Ridley dived the Corryvrekan in the early 80s. gosh, did people dive then.
Check GR's "Dive West Scotland", iirc he also wrote an article for "Diver"

A 3 hour Mr Ainslie briefing, that must be the abreviated version for experienced divers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts