YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

By this time next year I'm hoping to be the proud owner of a TDI Entry Level Trimix ticket, and I want to go diving in the 40-50m range on some nice wrecks that are at this time out of my range. I'm willing to invest the time and money on equipment and my training over the next year and already know the costs for that, but one thing I'm not sure of is.... What will be the average cost of filling a set of twin 12's with a normoxic blend that would allow me to dive to the depths mentioned?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

Dave my old mucker

Really depends where you get your gas from it could be any thing from £25-£45 per fill, then you will need o2 , if you will be carrying one stage it will be 50%

Lets do a sum
twin 12's diving to 50m mix of 18/30
so you need 60 bar helium = 1440 liters
some people charge around 4p per liter
so 1440 x 4 p = £57.60
o2 would me minamal in the mix but it would be 7 bar =84 liters
then your 7 liter stage filled with 50%
73 bar of gas = 511 liters of gas
some people i think charge around 1p per liter
511 x 1p £5.11
then top offs with air
So arround 62.71 for gas,This is on the high side but some people charge this much
Dont want to put you off at all dave
Get it from andy its a lot cheeper.

Hope you understand it, you know all about my grammer

Simon

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Sheeeeeeeite!!!

You know when you wished you'd never asked a question... Lol!! I'm gonna need a second mortgage for every bloody dive..

Aaah well I spose as long as I don't do all of my dives on helium I might be able to feed the kids every now and then..

Thanks for the input Simon... I think..... ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Hey Dave, you could try buying or winning a couple of helium filled balloons from the fairground and use them! lol...

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

There are a lot of myths/rumours/urban legends surrounding the use of CCR.

The list of 16 Inspiration fatalities and suspected reasons demonstrates a constant pattern of user error.  It is not appropriate to publish that list here. If anyone is interested in accident analysis contact me off list please.

CCR is more forgiving than OC if managed correctly.  

·
Banned
44 Posts
Imported post

christ. had a second hand box for 5 mins and now has all the answers to deaths on CC. saw your post on Inspiration list, you forgotten what you taught or not actually done course yet?:pigtails:

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

Gordon Henderson sent me the fatality info off list off the back of a private email discussion, the conclusion being that the use of CCR very possibly encourages users to dive deeper than they did on OC very quickly without building up experience.

Stef, I've always been interested in accident analysis, (ie in the vein of Darkness Beckons/Blueprint for Survival etc) both OC, caves and CC - it's without a doubt the most sobering lesson and really gets the message across of not pushing your personal limits until you are ready.

The questions on the Insp. list were purely scenario based for personal interest - again after a discussion with users at Dotty who have experienced similar problems.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

The Azimuth. formerly by Mares but dropped due to the whole CCR liability issue etc as the Inspiration was by AP...

Been around for almost a year now....

See http://www.nobubblediving.com/azimuth.main.htm for a teardown - looks shit hot if you ask me but it is only SCR at the moment - rumors abound about a factory mod to go full CCR......

I'm tempted.....

(Edited by Driftwood at 10:39 pm on Sep. 21, 2002)

(Edited by Driftwood at 10:39 pm on Sep. 21, 2002)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Been agonising all year about going CCR or trimix and ended up going Trimix. I would like to say it was the short term cost saving that did it for me but it fact I just bottled out of CCR. I read ALL the incident reports and came to the concluson, surley all these divers were at least as good as me and any one who spends 4K on dive equipment and traning must be WELL into diving and they still got dead.

The dark side of me says they were unsafe divers with more mony than dive sence and the wife and two kids side says they were just like me keen divers who made a mistake (aledgadly).

End result bottle out for now but still a deep desire for the little yellow box.

Hi-Tec Rocks

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

There's a good few places on the DIY rebreather circuit that have talked about how easy it is to convert the Azimuth to CCR..

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

One CCR fatality I read about was a German CCR Instructor with more logged-hours than most of us have had hot dinners, PM exam revealed no probs with his kit either.

Having tried SCR & CCR (in pool) I can very much see the appeal, but not just yet perhaps.
Chee-az
steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts