YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After watching the telly recently with that guy who runs MoneySavingExpert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more and after talking to a freind in our street, I found out that our council tax band was higher than 'some' of the others in our street. :frown: I say some as I did a search on the Council Tax Valuation List website:

Council Tax Valuation List

and found out that it was a bit of a roll of the dice survey, as it went something along the lines of B, C, B, B, C, B, B.... Money saving expert calles them 2nd gear surveys, as the surveyors supposedly drove round the streets in second gear ticking boxes :eek:

I requested a re-evaluation as we had been in our new property for less than six months* and as such qualified to appeal our banding. After the inital (and might I say) expected Standard Refusal decision, we were informed that we could apply for an adjudication by the Valuations Authority. Well we received a letter from the council yesterday stating that our council tax band has been changed to that or our immediate neighbours, B and that we could claim our money back as far as 1993, providing we could prove we lived there. :teeth:

So the upshot is we have lower council tax bills. I'm of to speak to my neighbours who also have Band C properties, which are 'identical' to ours.

* You don't have to be a NEW owner to appeal but the rules for appeal mean this is not open to all.

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
When me and the missus decided to use our study at our old home as an office and move our business there, we got a rate demand for a ridiculous amount, I appealed as we were only using 1 room and eventually we had a visit from the rates people. Believe it or not they wanted to charge us extra for having 2 drives, when the house had been built this way since the 50's!!!
They claimed it was a good business advantage, as visitors would be able to use them, even though we don't accept visitors!!

Eventually we got a reduction and then a further one for being a small business in a rural village.

Well done if you can get a rebate, better off in your pocket than the councils, just hope they don't increase though.

Graham

·
Armchair diver and slummy mummy
592 Posts
We decided not to tell the other neighbours in the higher category until we'd got a reduction, as it might have been difficult if the valuations people had raised the band on 13 houses in the street because 4 were in a higher band!! We've now told the others in the higher band and they are going to contact the valuations people to see if they can appeal too.

Josie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts