YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Looks just a bit sexy this gaff and a piece of piss to get to!

Any one thinking of going or organising a trip, let me know and I should be up for it - widescreen!

http://www.divenorth.com/

Can anyone recommend anywhere else off the Donegal coast? Jay? This is your Alma Mater - any other suggestions? How far's this from 'Mrs Moore's Holiday Chalets' in Dunfanaghy? Miles away or a quick trot out?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Went there a couple of years ago, but not to dive unfortunately. The water is crystal clear. Try around the Inishowen Peninsula (Malin Head) and Kinnegoe Bay. Loads of prospects for shore diving, but I`m not so sure if there is anywhere to get air ?

Anyone going, then, then like Bren, let me know

Steve

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I'm from Derry, just across the border and my family are from Donegal. I would love to dive there....so, if anything is happening then let me know. (I'm hoping I'll have sorted out some drysuit training by then).

If you organise it early enough you can get cheap flights to Derry for not very much money, and the craic will be mighty.

Cheers

Conor

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

malin head has 2 hostels €12 per night,very comfortable and 1 is beside the slip,houses can be rented for about €400 per week(3 bed).3 pubs are in walking distance of each other and fills are available locally.
pick a date in 2004 and i will sort it.
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Barrie, as mother used to say (and she a County Clare woman),

"Ah Jaze, you're a good man, yourself!"

We've been talking about a gig to the Donegal wrecks for a while now and it looks like, with you, we have just the very man on the ground.

Dates, people?? It would be rude to pass up this chance of some of the most spectaculat diving in these islands!

Let's be having ya!

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Nov. 19 2003,18:34)]Can anyone recommend anywhere else off the Donegal coast? Jay?
Bren

Had a trip a few years ago to Donegal - superb fun. We were camping and took a boat with us. We were further round towards Teelin. We went there after a weekend on Rathlin.

If you want info on dive sites/launch spots etc just let me know and I will dig out my logbooks and post something up.

To be honest athough we planned our dives wih charts etc, we could just followed the advice of some local divers we met who said "just drop in anywhere, it is all good"  

and they were right...

Simon

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>just a note to say i will be in malin head from the 25th march untill 30th march and will be diving the justicia,empire heritage
audacious all in the 70 mtr range.
about 20 rebreather divers from the uk and ireland will be staying at malin for a week,so if you fancy it give me a shout.
cheers
barrie

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hi there,
Derry girl here who would love to dive in Donegal. Never dived in the North, but swam many a summer day in Malin & Kinnego...... that was before I discovered warm water!
& dry suits!
Now living in Surrey and I think Ryanair would throw a "hissy fit" if I tried to check in all my kit! May have to fly in my drysuit!
So count me in; unfortunately Barrie I'll be off working during March so can't make those dates

Blanaid

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>blanaid,
yea flying can be a pain with dive gear,last 2 weeks of july are always good craig at malin so if thats any good fill your boots,depths from 27mtrs,40mtrs 57mtrs,70mtrs.
if you can get a cheap flight and i will see about getting your kit picked up by carrier and sent ahead of you.
about 12 divers heading over at the end of march and the flights cost £2.50 yea £2.50 we'll get the kit sent by courier for about £100 per pallet (6 sets of kit).
i dive with a few of the lads from derry,nice blokes and good craig so hope to see you at some point.
cheers
barrie

·
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Shusssh!
Don't tell my mother about cheap flights! Ryanair do some great deals- I have been known to fly home for 50p!
We are off in Cornwall for a week from the 17th July, but I'm very tempted!
I could always use the companys' courier, but I'm always worried that my kit will go astray! I have spent many a day on the phone searching for equipment that has gone walkabout!

I did send my pony back from the US & that got home safe-funny how it's only the outward journey, when you REALLY REALLY need it, goes AWOL!

Blanaid

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

BMI it would seem are doing some cheap deals at the moment to Belfast which ain't such a bad trek (Limavady man myself (ooohhh the shame
 )

There's http://www.aquaholics.org in Portstewart.

Not Dived "back home" myself but would like to so if anyone is going over or sorting something give me a shout

·
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Someone has to live there Ian!

Belfast isn't bad, until you get stuck behind every tractor in the North trying to get down the road from the airport!

My brothers old club dived with Aquaholics in 2002 & he thinks they are great, the trip report is at
Bait Ball Divers click on Ireland 2002
Forgive the Irish twang, he still has a strong accent!

I'll happily do either!
Blanaid

1 - 12 of 12 Posts