YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had cancellation from the skipper for our three day Devon trip for this coming Monday to Wednesday.

As a result, that now brings my clubs grand total cancellations to 10. We've lost 10 out of 11 days UK diving this year.

Maybe I'm getting older but things (the weather) definately seems to be getting worse and more unreliable!

I'm guessing there are many other clubs and individuals out there who have been as unlucky.

Hmmm.

Andy

·
Registered
755 Posts
Absolutely right Andy.

I've only got in the Channel for two dives this year so far.

Our club boat was going out today and tomorrow, but both days have been cancelled. Looking at the sea off Dover this morning I would say it was a good call.

Lets hope for next weekend.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
I've been quite lucky - I dived all through winter/spring at Eyemouth, St Abbs and The Farnes. Only a few days were lost due to weather and the skipper calling the trip. Granted, sometimes the viz was zilch, but I still got in most days I had planned.

Recently at The Farnes in June we lost three dives to fog, but I lost more dives in Tenerife in May due to high winds and rough seas than I have in the UK this year.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Windy

I too have lost several days diving this year. I wonder if any skippers would care to comment on the number of lost days in the last couple of years. If I can't go sea diving there is always puddle diving, biking, or quality time with the family, for skippers it is lost income.
I assume that skippers budget for a number of lost days in a year. Too many and not enough cash to pay the bills, or the cost for boat hire becomes prohibitive for divers to afford it.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Wazzed it down today at the lake. Cold and grim. Flaming June it aint.

Chris

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I've lost a fair few this year the main ones being Le Dud plongee and a few days in St Abbs t'other week but I've managed some crackers though.

It's the Skippers I feel sorry for.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
sorry...which way did you say was up again?
62 Posts
sun burn

was at capers last weekend while mrs jonesy did her ow (which she passed ) and i managed to get sun burnt
this weekend most places are flooded
isnt this typical for british weather?

·
Tenerife's only Rec, Tec & CCR Centre
367 Posts
I've been quite lucky - I dived all through winter/spring at Eyemouth, St Abbs and The Farnes. Only a few days were lost due to weather and the skipper calling the trip. Granted, sometimes the viz was zilch, but I still got in most days I had planned.

Recently at The Farnes in June we lost three dives to fog, but I lost more dives in Tenerife in May due to high winds and rough seas than I have in the UK this year.
Hi Buoyant Babe

How did you possibly lose any days diving in May. What part of the island where you diving at and were you shore diving? We were boat diving and we always get to dive somewhere no matter how bad the weather, we have not lost one days diving this year!

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Hi Buoyant Babe

How did you possibly lose any days diving in May. What part of the island where you diving at and were you shore diving? We were boat diving and we always get to dive somewhere no matter how bad the weather, we have not lost one days diving this year!
It was shore diving. Some of the entry points were a tad rough - there were high winds at the time.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Very sorry to here of your misfortune. We have been rely lucky recently with flat calm sea and excellent viz but the next day its blown out. Its such a lottery. Our second attempt at the Lanfannk and Warilda is blown this year as well. We are supposed to be in Penzance for three days starting Wednesday but i am not holding my breath.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
blimey-i thought i had been hard done to with about 4 dives blown out.
50 not blown out.

still early in the season tho.

the best is yet to come.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.