YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Am off to the dive show on Saturday, and I'm after an smb with crack bottle.  Everyone I know who has the SMB has the AP Valves ones, but while chatting to AndyP, he suggested I look at the Aquatec ones - are there any other brands to consider, or does anyone have any suggestions for the 'best' one to buy?
I know Helen (porg) is also after the same, so if you're reading this, then maybe we can try and buy 2, get them cheaper?
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I think (although could be wrong!!) that the Aquatec ones use a mini compressed air cylinder (the kind that are used in beer making).

So I guess the downside is that you will need to make sure you have some handy on each dive (I guess somewhere between .40p and £1 each).

The upside is size,  I would guess the overall package is smaller.

The AP valve one uses a refillable crack bottle that can be filled before each dive.

Daz

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I got the impression (but could have misunderstood) that they also do a crack bottle one, and whichever model I choose, go for the larger bottle (0.2L) version.
Am happy to buy the APV one as I don't know anyone with one who's isn't APV (which in itself is a good sign), but the aim of the post was to ascertain if APV are the only company who make/market the crack bottle smb.
Thanks anyway
Regards
Martin

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Why would you want the 0.2l bottle? the 0.1l one is more than large enough capacity but takes up less room in your pocket.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rupert Bear @ Nov. 10 2003,17:29)]Why would you want the 0.2l bottle? the 0.1l one is more than large enough capacity but takes up less room in your pocket.
Exactly! The 0.1 litre bottle is more than enough and MUCH less bulky. I can't understand why they sell the one with the 0.2 L bottle.
Regarding the Aquatec, it uses CO2 cartridges, which makes it expensive for routine use. It's more of a back-up smb. It's also a lot smaller than the buddy. It's small enough to fit into my drysuit pocket, which I find convenient, but it is questionable whether it is big enough to be seen from any distance if there is a heavy swell. It is also harder to deploy than the Buddy. Another disadvantage is that the cartridge seal tends to rust and the gas leak out, unless you remove and rinse the unused cartridge after every dive. It would be a pity to find your back-up smb didn't inflate when you needed it!
Get the Buddy with the 1 dl bottle!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts