YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just got back from a fantastic dive at Firestone Bay at Plymouth, with DougP (high water ~21.00hrs).  As usual, this well-kept-secret dive was excellent, and made even better for me by my torch.

Anyone who's been following the torch threads will recall I made my own 75w halogen umbilical torch, with a monster two 12v 7ah 8.2Kg battery pack, made from an Army ammo box.  Contrary to some speculation, this hasn't imploded and has been great during dim day dives at 25+.  (Cost = ~£55.00)

Tonight however, I saw for the first time how good a flood compared to a spotlight bulb is in total darkness - it was like a bloomin' night-sun!  Although Doug's HID has a fantastic brilliant white beam, the halogen flood seemed to illuminate huge areas, albeit with a warmer, more yellow light.

The reason for this post, (other than to blow my own trumpet), is to remind people that you don't have to spend hundred's of pounds on a torch!  Have a go at making your own, and spend what's left on a backup, and upgrading the rest of your gear.

And if you get the chance to dive this place with Doug, make sure you take it.  He seems to know every inch of the place!(We saw wrasse, red mullet, eels, nudibranchs, edible & spider crabs, scallops and pollack.)

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I have got to agree about the torch being bright enough.  It gives out a huge spread of light, although not as bright as mine it's brilliant considering the 400 quid difference in price.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Poxie computer is playing up John, and being a numptie means i don't know what to do with it.  Punching it doesn't help.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Hmmmm.  Punching it usually works for me....

By the way, in the Trade it's called an "Engineer's Drop Test"

Did you get back OK?  Nice to meet Daz, Wacker, Neil, Dave and their associated lovely ladies.  

By the way, if anyone is thinking of coming from far away to dive Babbacome, Meadfoot, Torquay etc, send me an e-mail first if there are Easterlies - I'll check the vis for you.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I got back eventualy after driving round somewhere for ages.  Popped into Sound diving for a fill and to pick my pocket up.  Done sod all this afternoon except cuddle up on the sofa with the wife and have a nap.  It was nice to meet that lot and put faces to names.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Likewise, guys nice to meet up and get the chance to check out John's home made light cannon (You need to get out more John  
  Top job though).

Plymouth sounds like a great spot,  lots going on until end of September though and if that suits maybe we can all hook up for a drop in on Devil's point or Firestone.

Cheers guys and we will have to kook up again,  I have a feeling Doug was just warming up on the p*ss taking and we never even got all the kit out of the cars  

Daz

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Daz

Perhaps you should have gone to Thurlstone again. We had 5-10 m on the Maine from Hope Cove yesterday. I hope for the same today on the Persier (with those twinny thinggys). And if we get lucky with the easterly being light.

Adrian

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

LOL!  Yup, a year on dole patrol will do that to a man, Daz!  Still, I've just joined the ranks of you wage-slaves again, so maybe I can buy stuff now, rather than have to make it!

(Yeah, right!)  

Which reminds me - I need to PM you about DOS...  

1 - 9 of 9 Posts