YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

do you think it is right to post threads on other forums without the permission of th

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you think it is right to post threads on other forums without the permission of the person who originally posted it

personally i think it's a F***G liberty and shouldn't happen but i am interested in what you lot think

Graham

Reactions: Diving Dude

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
That's a hard one, if you put it in the public domain everyone has access to it. The internet is all about theft, theft of code, theft of music, theft of pictures or theft of text.

The original text should remain the intellectual copyright of the owner, but if you read the smal print you'll probably find that your posts on forums are the property of the forum and not yours.

It shouldn't be done but you can't stop it.

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
That's a hard one, if you put it in the public domain everyone has access to it. The internet is all about theft, theft of code, theft of music, theft of pictures or theft of text.

The original text should remain the intellectual copyright of the owner, but if you read the smal print you'll probably find that your posts on forums are the property of the forum and not yours.

It shouldn't be done but you can't stop it.
Wot he said. Is that theft? :)

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
It depends, did they credit you for the original, if so then no problem, once you've put it into the public domain, it is up to the public what they do with it. If they delete your name and try to take credit themselves then it is out of order but the previous still applies.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
do you think it is right to post threads on other forums without the permission of the person who originally posted it
I tend to feel that if I made a public statement and I am correctly quoted and attributed I have no cause to complain even if it annoys me.

If I later realise that I was wrong itt annoys me even more but that's my fault isn't it?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I woud say yes, if correctly quoted,a nd it is clear it is a quote. Lifting someone's text and claiming it as your ownis wrong, but even this forum thrives on folk supplying info in the form of links or quotes and threads from other forums are just the same, really.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I think it could be irritating, but if it is a clear 'copy & paste' (I hate it when they call it a cut & paste :)) and the originator, or even the forum it originated on is credited - if it is appropriate, then I don't think there is really cause for complaint. It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and if I had posted something that was of a standard above my usual boll**x and it got plagerised onto another forum then I would be quite pleased, (so long as it wasn't being called bollox!)

Look at all the jokes and things on joke of the day... they have been taken from somewhere!

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
This is a public site, anyone can post, anyone can read it. I don't see the difference between someone quoting this text on this site, and quoting this text on another site.

Proper accreditation would be nice etiquette - but you can hardly expect it.

Anyway - it's not your text, it's Jay's ;)

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts

personally i think it's a F***G liberty and shouldn't happen but i am interested in what you lot think
As long as it is correctly attributed, then I don't have a problem with it. I welcome it in some cases (such as the RB80 incident cross-posted to RBW which I wouldn't have read about otherwise.

Is there anything specific you're annoyed about?

Janos

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
As long as it is correctly attributed, then I don't have a problem with it. I welcome it in some cases (such as the RB80 incident cross-posted to RBW which I wouldn't have read about otherwise.

Is there anything specific you're annoyed about?

Janos
Possibly this by the person who cannot be named but who still lurks on here;

Divernet | Forums | Diver Forums

(Unfortunately just copied and pasted but rudely, not attributed to the OP. Probably because that would be admitting he still looks in here, which would mean losing face, after he swore off YD following his ejection from this place.)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm fairly certain this isn't the incident which prompted this poll.

I'm sure Graham will be along in a moment to correct me it I'm wrong :rolleyes:

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
I'm in the yes it was posted publicly, for all to see. to be fair correct accreditation would be good manners though.

what is this all about?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
If its on a public forum or website then its good manners to say you copied it from <source>.

Thinks like jokes are always pushed around without quoting source and thats generally OK.

I can understand furstration if its a genuine intellectual comment, research and its not credited.

Its all about whats appropriate, if somebody takes credit for something I created, was the original source of knowledge and its my IP then I may have an issue.

Davie.

P.S Name and shame!

·
3,293 Posts
No, because I write my trip reports and contribute the the threads on YD because I support the YD community.

I do not want my posts and articles posted on sites which profit from content and support ideals I neither support or agree with, or are run by people I do not like :)

If another member wants to put my content on another forum then they should ask and I will be happy join up and post it myself, so long as they are not thieves and vagabonds of course :)

If not then I can exercise my rights re copyright and act accordingly. Everything you write or publish whether it is on a forum or any other website is your copyright, and the only way that can be changed is in the terms and conditions of this forum, which might say something like the content you post can be used elsewhere, or for promo purposes, such as how Youtube changed their terms recently. AFAIK this is not the case with YD.

Andy

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
And said:
... AFAIK this is not the case with YD.
Where are the YD terms & conditions?

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
After all, plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.
My father wrote some of the standard works on his part of local government but under a pen name.
Then one day, at some big Ministry of Education thing, somebody name dropped him to himself.

He didn't say anything at the time but he was clearly rather pleased.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
If it is a joke then no problem at all - post without credit etc otherwise post giving appropriate credit.

If the original poster wanted it private then they shouldn't have posted.

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
My father wrote some of the standard works on his part of local government but under a pen name.
Then one day, at some big Ministry of Education thing, somebody name dropped him to himself.

He didn't say anything at the time but he was clearly rather pleased.
Sounds a familiar story Nigel, however, two of my late father's books have been part quoted word for word for financial gain by someone on the internet and there is sod all I can do about it.
When I made enquiries there were several people who wanted to take up the case but the cost to me would run into thousands of pounds.
So now I just take it as a compliment to my late father.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts