YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm finishing up my contract for my first full year abraod as an instructor and was wondering what is the best way to deal with my fortune?

I've been being paid in US$ (which looks to have been disasterous!) and have accumulated the princely sum of $5k,what is the best way to get the most I can when exchanging back to £.

Should I wire, this will no doubt cost but maybe will give the best rate of exchange in the short term?

Should I take as much as I can out of the country in cash and wait for the rate to turn, this may be risky, and I'll probably need the cash before it does?

Or is there any other better way, i know it's not loads of money and the difference in a small rate difference won't be huge but I'd still like to get the best deal I can!

Thanks

Ian

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Buy duty free **** and sell them around the pubs and clubs when you get back ;) It seems to work for the bloke in my local.
You can only bring in 200 from non eu countries, Id try and either leave money where it is untill better exchange rate or just bring it all back in dollars as they are pretty much accepted worldwide so handy to have if your off travelling again.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
You should be able to bulk buy a load of RB oxygen sensors for at most $55 a piece. Bring them back to the UK (easy to hide) and flog for £40 a time. Final total £3640 in shiny, British pounds. Better than going into Thomas Cook and getting ~£2300.

I'll have six please. And can you be quick about it?

Thanks,

Stuart

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
bah. think big, columbian marching powder is cheap as chips out there.:)
Yep - buy a dog and then spend the rest as Soggy suggests. Stick the marching powder up the dog's arse (best not buy a rottweiler then) and when you bring the dog in through customs, the sniffer dog will sniff your dog's butt which will be seen as natural doggie actions and you'll sail straight through!

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, short of gun running, people traffiking, drug smuggling, bootlegging etc... etc... what's my best bet bearing in mind that i'll need access to the money shortly after my return!

Thanks for the replies tho!

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Depending what you're likely to be spending it on. You may find it better to just open up a $ bank account with a UK bank, that way if the $ recovers you can exchange it or you can spend it in $ as you go along.
I may know someone who wants to buy a load of $, if they do I'll send you a PM and then you can see if you can sort out a deal with them.
HTH
Simon A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts