YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd question....

I know Vindaloo is supposed to be very very hot and almost uneatable - or so I was always told, but I had one last night, and hardly broke a sweat. Does anyone else think there not that hot?

....Or is it just because I have a higher tolerance to hot food, I usually have madras and find it medium x

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Yum yum yum! I love curry! :)

Lamb Madras is my curry of choice at the moment and it's hot enough for me. You must have an asbestos tongue! :)

I once tried a Phall after a nice boozing... I had two mouthfuls and had to leave the restaurant in tears. I got laughed at a lot!!!! That was until I was joined with two other people who tried it! One was choking it was so spicy and the other was running up and down the street with his tongue hanging out!

The next day it was much worse!! :(

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Vindaloo should not be stupid hot. It is made with vinegar to give it bite. A good one should not be simply chilli powder and cheap rubbish.

My mate is a Sikh guy and eats raw chillis. But he is a nutter :D

Chris

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
they can be v hot or a bit lame.

it depends if the chef is a fish prodder or a wrecky.

·
Mostly Harmless
316 Posts
Naaah, Vindaloo isn't meant to be inedible - it's just nice and warm. It's acquired a sort of mythological status for being lava-on-a-plate, but that's pish.

Clearly, if you're not used to your curry then it's going to hurt a bit, but I'm not used to my whisky and find that it burns my throat. Same difference!

Now the Phal (something curryhouses put on the menu to catch out boozed up arseholes) is almost inedible - I managed to get one down once, but it came back up an hour later. My stomach must have thrown a wobbler at all the chillies I'd introduced to it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yum yum yum! I love curry! :)

Lamb Madras is my curry of choice at the moment and it's hot enough for me. You must have an asbestos tongue! :)

I once tried a Phall after a nice boozing... I had two mouthfuls and had to leave the restaurant in tears.

The next day it was much worse!! :(
Oooo! Even I'm not that brave!
....Next days never fun lol! x

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jalfrezie

I once had a Chicken Jalfrezie down Brick Lane, it was the hottest thing I have ever put in my mouth tears, sweat, running nose and I just could not feel my lips or tonge I still think the chef was having a laugh, and I could not finish it:redface:.

·
bangladessional dive professional
133 Posts
if your in newcastle theres a place called curry capital and they do a dish called curry hell.

if you finish a whole portion you get it free.

i once got a half as a side just to see how bad it really was. its not too horrific if you like spicey food. its definatly edible but you would spend more on all the beer you drank just washing it down.

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
A true vindaloo is a dish that originated from a fusion of Portuguese and Indian cuisine in the Goa region of India: it is traditionally made with pork and involves a generous use of vinegar (vin) and garlic (alho - hence Vindalho). In many other cuisines of the Indian sub-continent, aloo refers to potato, but not here.

But in terms of 'British' curries, a Vindaloo is, in essence, a straightforward curry sauce with pieces of chicken or other meat in it. It is typically one of the hottest dishes on the menu, being twice as hot as a 'Madras' but this depends on the restaurant. For example, the Royal Tandoori in Liverpool serves the fiercest Vindaloo I have tasted (nice but bloody hot). By comparison, the Shapla restaurant in the city centre here serves an easily manageable yet flavoursome affair.

I hope some people bother to read this! I might just order a curry now... Not a Vindaloo though!
S.

P.S. The famous Madras curry does not exist in India, it is a thoroughly British invention!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Odd question....

I know Vindaloo is supposed to be very very hot and almost uneatable - or so I was always told, but I had one last night, and hardly broke a sweat. Does anyone else think there not that hot?

....Or is it just because I have a higher tolerance to hot food, I usually have madras and find it medium x
You need to go back for another and tell him that vindaloo was like a korma and you have a asbestos mouth and he needs too spice it up abit for you.
Let me know how it was

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Nicest place on Brick Lane (well, just off) I've had was at;

Cafe Raj
42 Hanbury Street, London, E1 5JL.

Very very tasty!!! Really cheap too!

I WANT CURRY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
The heat of a vindaloo has grown to be rather exagerated.

However I've found that there are massive differences between Indian restaurants, you can order the same thing from two different places and get two different dishes - especially in heat! In addition peoples perception of heat can vary enormously.

Also there tends to be a "guilt by association" effect, for example if the first person orders a particularly hot dish then all the other orders tend to be hotter than normal.

As and aside, I've found that if you visit a take-a-way or restaurant regularly they will happily tailor the heat of your favourite dish to your personal taste.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
As some have said......the heat depends on the restaurant. I've had hot vindaloos which have to be delivered in an asbestos bowl and I've had vindaloos that quite frankly aren't much hotter than Irish Stew!

I generally eat a Jalfrezi but have recently started eating a local variant of Murgh Zalzala which uses these fiesty little beggers Dorset Naga pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a few in the freezer......it makes them easier to eat!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
If you are in London and fancy a curry with a difference go here...

Tamarind Restaurant

This is a curry house with a Michelin star! It is where we went for our evening meal when we got hitched and it was very, very nice food indeed. The service was excellent too. Really must go back....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Apparently you drink with your curry it makes the curry seem hotter. Dont know wheter thats true though!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think you do build up a tolerance to spicy foods, like anything the more you practice the better you get!! I love a Madras, usually chicken, and it gives a little heat but nothing too drastic. Had Vindaloo a few times but didn't really notice a great deal of difference though the side effects were a little more dramatic!!:embarassed:

Now I'm craving curry -- Peshwari nan on the side for dipping -- now I'm salivating!!

Cheers
John

1 - 20 of 38 Posts