YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi, has anyone got, used or read any reviews on the above wing yet?

At present my rig is a 12lt plus pony, although I'm interested in going twin 10's at a later date.

What are the advantages of a wing?
Are there any potential problems I should look out for?
Is Custom Diver equipment up to the job?

As usual, any help received gratefully!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Use one myself. There are a few things I don't like about. It is a bit crap at dumping air IMO and takes some getting use to but thats not a big problem for me as I fly my suit not the wing. I am also not a big fan of its harness which is fine but it doesn't suit my build(skinny git with beer belly) I found I couldn't adjust the d-rings how I wanted because the clips etc got in the way so I made my own one piece harness instead.

It has a great back plate. The c/d plate is best I have seen IMO. It gives you lots of options for clipping things to it and lots of options for fitting tanks. Idea for holiday use when you want to twin up but have no s/s bands. I use a single large camband for twinning up on holiday with it and it works a treat. There is some talk about the bungee cord not lasting but I have had mine for about 2 years and I dive nearly every other week with it and mine show no sign of wear. The wing itself is well made and ios very tough and would IMO take some serious hammering before falling to pieces.

If you use a dry suit then stick to single bladder, if wetsuit then look a double bladder as this gives you a backup.

Have you seen the c/d TCW? Havent used one myself but it looks to be much than the tdb

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dan,

As you said, I use my suit for bouyancy so would only use the wing at the surface really. I'm around 5'9" and stocky, so hopefully the harness wouldn't be a problem.

Do you wear a weight harness, if so is there easy access to the ditch handles if needed?

Thanks for the info matey

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Imported post

Hi,
my wife and I use single bladder TDBs. she with 10s and me with 12s. Both find them comfortable and more than up to the job.

I have 'v' weights secured to mine but wife uses a pouch type weight belt and finds it a bit akward getting the waist band done up as it sits right over the weight belt. Probably more due to having a short body than anything else.

Do have to agree with Dan - air dumping can be crap.

Roy

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>I have the TDB, and it's performed flawlessly on over 200 dives. Originally used with a 15+pony and then for twin 12s and then for twin 12s with 2 7l steel stages.

The only aspect of it that took some playing with to get right was the position of the inflator hose. I found that for me it didn't come over the shoulder comfortably, I have mine running straight down and is loosely bungeed by my left kidney. This works really well for me as I use a drysuit for buoyancy UW, and to dump/inflate the wing at the surface I just pull dump or press.

By the way, I'm 5'8" and fat.

Hope that helps.

Juz

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Like Juz i have a TDB with 12's. The wing has been excellent once you've managed to put it all together for which i'd get help if you can. I did get a split bladder whilst in the Redsea but managed to bodge it & CD repaired it on my return at no cost (apart from postage of course). I have my inflation hose bungeed to my harness on the left chest area under my arm & can use it fine by using the pull dump system. It's out of the way & i've had no problems with it. The wing bungee cord i cut into small sections & then re-attached by knotting each end through the holes so if i do catch & snap one then the whole lot doesn't come undone. I payed a bit extra for the extra pads & think they're worth it. You can't underestimate the effect of being uncomfortable in your dive kit on long dives.
Hope this helps a bit.
Good diving
Rob

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Frogman @ Jan. 26 2004,19:29)]What are the advantages of a wing?
Are there any potential problems I should look out for?
Is Custom Diver equipment up to the job?
Hi,

take a look here for info on wings in general including problem to look out for and therefore reasons to avoid the CD offerings.

Here is another guide to wings

I personally wouldn't touch CD gear with a very long pole.

HTH

Mark.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>on the subject of corrugated hose routing. I have mine with the hose for my Air-integrated Cobra running through it this is secured to me with one of those retracting lanyards so that it works when routed PROPERLY underarm, but as it is retractable it is easy to extend it upwards to dump air too. I can also extend it in front of me to use my compass or read my computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts