YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Halcyon daze....
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I popped down to my local reef today to get in a quick dive, I’ve not been in the water for a couple of weeks and wanted to just have a pootle. As I kitted up, a little girl asked me if I was going diving. She then asked me if I was qualified, I said I was.

She then asked me which agency. I told her I was qualified with BSAC and GUE. She then went on to tell me that her dad was a BSAC instructor.

Her mum then comes over to state that her hubby thinks that there is nothing to see at this site and that he dives nitrox so that he can go deep. :rolleyes:

<sigh>

I jump into the water and proceed to have one of the best dives that I have ever had. Vis was suprisingly good given the levels of rainfall in the last few days at around 4-5 metres and I saw more life than you could shake a stick at. The levels of biodiversity here continue to amaze me whenever I splash in. There is a nice little cavern section as well, so more than enough to keep anyone amused.

The reef is generally around 6metres and I recorded a maximum depth of 8m. For the majority of the dive I was mobbed by a shoal of about ten 4-5lb sea bass. They would constantly wheel around me, coming in to about a foot or two to have a close look. While these guys continually followed me around, I also saw some huge pollack, some poor cod, tonnes of ballan and corkwing wrasse some lepoard and two spot gobies, dragonets and some other fishies that I will have to look up.

I then got round to the main reef wall, it is a lovely 8m high wall with overhangs and crevices just made for critters. In the reef all manner of crustaceans were hiding, velvet swimmers, shore crabs, edibles, spiny spiders crawling all over, and a new one on me, some descent sized squat lobsters with lovely blue markings. There was plenty of macro life as well, tunicates, boring sponges, spiral fan worms and a candy striped flatworm. On the sea bed, poking out of the substrate were spaghetti tube worms, occasionally squirting a puff of sand.

I swept down through the kelp beds and see a beige fish tail poking out, not moving, as I get closer and closer, I see no movement. I can see it is a juvenile plaice. As I move a frond of kelp off it, it does not move so I assume it must be dead. I touch the tail, and there is no movement. I then start to pull the tail to take a look and the poor beastie shoots off!

There were some nice scallops in some of the crevices, but I really couldn’t be bothered to contort myself to retreive them, I also feel better leaving them in peace. I managed to rediscover the cavern section that is really just an extended archway that is about 15 metres long and pops out into a narrow gulley. It is wide, but shallow and with my stomach scraping the floor, and valves bumping the ceiling, I make my way through and then repeat the process for fun!

As I exit the water I reflect that having done Fundies with Clare, I am a much more controlled diver and am now able to place myself where I wish in the water column and that this really is becoming second nature now.

I also thought about the view of the divers who may overlook this site as uninteresting because it is not deep and it is not a wreck. I sometimes wish they could see the things that I saw today. You don’t have to do deep, challenging dives to have wonderful experiences. I had a cracking hour and a half in the water and while I enjoy wrecks and caverns as well, there is something about a relaxed reef dive that does it for me every time.

If you are in the vicinity, it is a lovely site (just north of Fishguard on the North side of Dinas Head)
Cheers,

Simon

1 - 1 of 1 Posts