YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

As an American in the forces recently stationed here, in order to ship my cylinders (American Aluminum 100s) I had to remove the valves for safety in shipment.  So now I need a new visual inspection (cylinders were purchased 5 months ago, and are less than a year old now)

I went to the local shop, and they said they do a visual inspection for 30 pounds per cylinder.  Now, I dont profess to know the scale here, but that seems a bit high to me to just stick a light in the cylinder and have a looksee, especially when I only paid the equivilant of about 75 pounds for each cylinder brand new.  

Can anyone recommend somewhere that I can get this done, perhaps for a little bit less?

Thanks

Scott

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

scott

30 pounds is about the right price for ally cyls.  you have to get a visual plus done of course which is why the price has bumped up.  you may be better buying a second hand one while you are here and then selling it when you go.  i would be only too happy to sort out selling it for you and forwarding the cash when you get back.  (prepare mentally for all sorts of comments from everyone else about ripping off foreigners!!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Okay, that would explain the price.  I asked the gentleman if it was a visual plus, and he said no, it was strictly visual, stick a light in and take a look was all, no eddy current test.  Might just have to find a different shop and see what they say.  Thanks for the help

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Twin 10s for 150 quid... youre having a laugh !! welcome to blighty Wyota .. now you will be educated into the amount us limeys get ripped off over here... By the way do you not have access to a PX that sells divekit cheap... maybe you could pass us all a catalogue and do a bulk order for us lads over here... where are u stationed.. at the sssshhh ssssshh sssssh Menwith Hill - Used to dive with a fellow countryman of yours from there and we went and did a week down at Fort Bovisand with the Joint Services Sub Aqua Centre - Ive never heard anyone use the expression "Holy Buckshit" as a comment of surprise or amazement - certainly made us chuckle through the day. Hope you enjoy your stay in the UK Im sure by the time your posting finishes you can say youve had enough of our amazing weather

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

I don't profess to be well versed in ally cylinders, but is £30 really the going rate for a visual? Sounds a bit steep to me??? I had my steel full hydro tested for less than that& yes its tested to idest standard.
Whats involved different in an ally visual as opposed to a steel, anyone enlighten me?
//

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Divedog,
Yeah, Im at Menwith hill.  So far, though the wind can be a pain, I dont mind the weather at all.  Having a great time so far.  Dont know about this Fort Bovisand, might have to check that out.  As far as divekit, Ill tell you right now, the PX is usually more expensive, and dont have much stuff.  Youd be better off checking out www.diversdirect.com and seeing what you want on there.  Only difference between you and me would be the difference in post, in that I can receive mail as if I were in states, at those prices, (and of course, if customs would be charged on an order)  But check out that website, has some good prices on kit, and that would be the place to do a bulk order.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Can't help but think that sounds expensive for a visual.I think I paid about £26 per cylinder at Mike's at Trearrdur bay.A bit closer to all you Yorks blokes is the place that tests all the Brigade and Commercial gear at Knottingley.They're not caught up in the "leisure industry charges" thing so tend to be more competitive(our equivalent place in lancs does'nt-or did'nt do visuals as he reckoned that as the valve was uot he may as well do it properly as it did'nt cost much more).If you stand on the main road facing Knottingley baths,go R up towards the lights(after GT Smiths)the ones at the junction.There's a row of shops on the same side wuth a chippy etc.Behind these shops is a "factory" building.Don't know the name but got all our teats done there when we worked in the area.Cheers,Hobby.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

I've just spoken to Scott at Probe Diving Services In Oldham-0161 633 0966.He tells me that a full Hydro test inc.valve strip and service is £23.50p-dependant on make of valve.Seems chesp enough to me.Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts