YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently had my cylinder serivced. It passed fine however it was pointed out there were some light spots of surface rust on the outside of the cylinder. I was wondering if anyone had got some advice on cleaning this up and what type of paint I should use to repaint those areas?

Thanks,
Paul

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
That's the puppy. To make a proper job of it, get a wire brush in a drill and derust and descale it first, use some coarse emery to key the surface, wipe over with industrial thinners to remove all traces of dirt and grease, apply 2 coats of a zinc primer then 2 topcoats of Smoothrite preferably from a spraygun to make a neat job.

If anyone is remotely interested I have the international standards for protective surface painting in various areas including marine- BS EN 12944 if you want to look it up. The method above is called an St2 prep followed by a S2.05 paint system and is really designed for what's called a C2 low corrosion environment.

Officially for a C5-M high corrosion marine environment, you're meant to shotblast to Sa2.5, prime with a fancy primer then topcoat using 3 coats of a 2 pack system but that's a bit beyond your normal diver. Rolls Royce did this to their diving club cylinders once and the paint was so thick you couldn't read the stamps!

·
aka j_b
862 Posts
That's the puppy. To make a proper job of it, get a wire brush in a drill and derust and descale it first, use some coarse emery to key the surface, wipe over with industrial thinners to remove all traces of dirt and grease, apply 2 coats of a zinc primer then 2 topcoats of Smoothrite preferably from a spraygun to make a neat job.

If anyone is remotely interested I have the international standards for protective surface painting in various areas including marine- BS EN 12944 if you want to look it up. The method above is called an St2 prep followed by a S2.05 paint system and is really designed for what's called a C2 low corrosion environment.

Officially for a C5-M high corrosion marine environment, you're meant to shotblast to Sa2.5, prime with a fancy primer then topcoat using 3 coats of a 2 pack system but that's a bit beyond your normal diver. Rolls Royce did this to their diving club cylinders once and the paint was so thick you couldn't read the stamps!
Is this doable with a built up twin set?

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Best paint I ever had was on my first cylinder. The previous ownder had repainted it with the stuff used for white road markings. Its was really thick, chip resistant and I shone up like a xmas tree everytime I went near a torch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts