YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just out of interest, since I'm getting a new pair of 12l cylinders - with the exception of nets are there any other good ways to protect the cylinder from surface damage?
I thought of on the main body using strong, self-adhesive clear plastic film - hey why not? The TDI Nitrox stickers on my pony seem to do a good job! Are there any problems with this idea ie removal of the stuff after?

Anyone else with a bright idea out there?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

woah... strong sense of deja vu here!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Drift,

Where are you getting the twins from and most importantly how much?

I was gonna wait until the Brum Dive Show but ...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Dominic on 8:07 am on Aug. 27, 2002
woah... strong sense of deja vu here!
<span =''>
Yeah and still you are no use! :rofl2: Ask Davey Wilo about the care cylinders get at Abbs!

Gav,

£269 (free postage) at Kent Diving with SOS manifold
£315 (plus £7.50 postage) at Diverwarehouse with Aqua manifold
£349 (plus £10 postage) at Divebox (Go-Dive)

So when you up for a beer then?

(Edited by Driftwood at 7:42 pm on Aug. 27, 2002)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Heads Up on 10:36 pm on Aug. 27, 2002
You can get neoprene sleeves for cylinders if thats any help (I believe Beaver make them to fit if you phone them)
<span =''>
Yeah, I've seen those but I'm looking for something that will still work when the cylinders are twinned up (hence why nets & neoprene are out)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

This might be a daft suggestion but....

Why not speak to a wetsuit manufacturer (or someone handy with a sewing machine) and get them to knock up some thin neoprene, or rubber jackets that fasten around the tanks once twinned, with appropriate cut-outs for the twinning bands.  They could be done up with HD velcro and this would allow you to quickly whack 'em on when required, and also remove them for drying, inspections, or when your rig won't allow them to be used?

(Edited by Lou at 1:05 pm on Aug. 28, 2002)

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Drift - always up for a beer. Where about's in Edinburgh are you?

Actually - Mrs Gavsters gone on a course to Peebles tonight so what you up to?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Take a 2l fizzy drink bottle, and cut the top and bottom off it (It's vitally important to empty the bottle first!)

Slice the cylinder down one side, so you have a flat sheet of plastic.

Duck tape it to your cylinder.

Nice slick surface means it's hard to gash, costs next to nothing, so can be easily replaced.

*giggle*

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Maybe you could steal some anti-magnetic and anti-acoustic tiles off the Kursk, individually stick them around your twinset - combatting your problem of protection and adding the avantage of stealth .. ideal for picking up those bundles off the sea bed and dropping them off on the beach !!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Driftwood
I hired a cylinder from Divers warehouse at Bradford, had a thin neoprene cover on it, looked like it was one they manufactured. Theres the old plastic netting option which stops most of the knocks and bangs. I'd be careful about anything like a plastic coating that encloses the cylinder.
If any moisture ie sea water gets trapped between the coating and the tank and its left to do its worse, may lead corrosion problems, as sometimes in the case of tank boots.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

I've spoken (well, emailled) Dennis at Predator Wetsuits and he rekons he can knock something up to a fasion....

So the question is - size?

I'm currently sans tanks (Happy man BillyRoo?) so need external circumferances, height (from top of boot to the start of the curve), spread (between twinset bands) to work out rough configurations etc......

Anyone else interested in a YD branded tank protector?

So c'mon guys, get the tape measures out please!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So the question is - size?

I'm currently sans tanks (Happy man BillyRoo?) so need external circumferances, height (from top of boot to the start of the curve), spread (between twinset bands) to work out rough configurations etc......
<span =''>

www.divefaber.com - has all the dimensions you need about cylinder sizes.
Gap between bands is variable depending on backplate and manifolds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts