YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me whether it is a requirement for my my LDS to remove permanent stickers from my cylinders - eg Initials or "21" - when carrying out testing? eg O2 clean? or Vizual? or Hydraulic?

'Cos replacing them every year is D*** annoying.

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I suppose they need to be able to check that you have not got rust forming under the stickers.

Shouldn't be a O2 thing though, just hydro/visual.

·
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have thought that the vizual test was an internal inspection, as internal corrosion is going to be far worse and surface corrosion is far more likely to be superficial, ..... but I see your train of thought Adrian.(sticker removal every 5 years).

The hydraulic test is surely just that... pump it up and it passes or fails. Surely they can't be worried that a sticker is going to stop a cylinder stretching???

As for O2 cleaning, IMHO sticker removal is tantamount to vandalism.

BUT these are only my opinions, please correct me if you know differently.

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I would have thought that the vizual test was an internal inspection, as internal corrosion is going to be far worse and surface corrosion is far more likely to be superficial, ..... but I see your train of thought Adrian.(sticker removal every 5 years).

The hydraulic test is surely just that... pump it up and it passes or fails. Surely they can't be worried that a sticker is going to stop a cylinder stretching???

As for O2 cleaning, IMHO sticker removal is tantamount to vandalism.

BUT these are only my opinions, please correct me if you know differently.

Cheers, Paul
Paul, I think a visual check is done with the hydro. As Dan mentions, deep scratches or dinks can fail the cylilnder too.

Do the O2 stickers have date stamps?

·
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul, I think a visual check is done with the hydro. As Dan mentions, deep scratches or dinks can fail the cylilnder too.

Do the O2 stickers have date stamps?
It begins to make more sense to me now.

Deep scratches or dents like the one they tried to cover up with their advertising sticker......

Yes the O2 stickers have dates on, as does the unremoved IDEST sticker. They just removed and binned my initials, and my 21 stickers. Just goes to show that if one considers buying some Solas reflective ones, one may wish to buy more than one needs.....

Cheers, Paul

·
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All you have to do is get a permanent marker, write "now put the fcuking sticker back like you found it" and stick the sticker over the top. Should do the trick.
H'mmmm, yes I think I may just try that

Cheers, Paul

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Paul,

Have you tried talking to the person testing the cylinder? Let him know how you feel. He should beable to provide written proof if certain stickers need removing. I had a pony tested by Splashsports in Edinburgh. They used to remove all stickers and 'wrap' the cylinder in their own advertising rubbish.

I simply said I didn't like this and in future took my business elsewhere.

Dave C

·
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point Dave.

I had already decided that I would make a point of telling them up-front next time I take any cylinders in, rather than after the horse has bolted type of thing. I also thought of putting on a label to the same effect, as the person to whom I hand the cylinders is not the person doing the testing / cleaning (although I hadn't thought of the Woz method).

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have never had a sticker removed. I they remove an Airspeed sticker, or any other you have paid for, send them an invoice and include your time at a suitable rate.

Marcus

1 - 11 of 11 Posts