YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

A friend in the U.S showed me this method & i keep the DIY kit with me on all my dives,
Basicaly what you need is a small waterproof container which contains :
4 x anadin  (2 for you and 2 for your buddy)
1x stainless steel needle
cotton wool
use as follows,
as soon as you feel "bent" take 2 anadin, then have your buddy elavate your left arm and using the needle perforate your index finger (dont worry the anadin should have kicked in by now) remain sat down with your arm raised till you feel that 'most' of the bubbles have escaped from your finger then use the cotton wool to stop your finger bleeding in the pub.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

so simple, yet highly effective, not!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

well the simple ones are the best, the only risk i see is if the needle isnt sterile - remember folks, never share needles!!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

If I put the needle-puncture over my car tyre valve, will it inflate the tyre for me?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

never tried that one?
havent done the maths or anything but i reckon youd have to miss several hours of deco to generate enough bubbles to inflate an avarage cars tyre.
please, if anyone has tried this and knows exactly how much deco id need to miss to inflate a vauxhall astra's rear tyre, it would be usefull to know.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

good one  :lol2: I think that'd be even funnier than getting someone to dive the Battenburg at Scapa
Chee-az
Steve

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Fierce!
A long time ago,with divers far away,the symptoms of DCS were recognised but obviously were'nt understood.The remedy was to bury the casualty in wet sand up to his neck then get him to chain smoke..what I don't know.This apparently was used for ages with "some"success.I was told that this is an old Turkish thing but that's all I know.Can anyone shed any further light on it?
Just think though,sod emergency chambers!A sand pit,box of aspirin,needles and the contents of Bren's glovebox and we could treat it anywhere!We could patent it,we could be rich,Christ what am I doing?
Hobby!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Great but further research will need to be done.

Menthol cigarettes for precautionary treatment.
working up through Marlborough lights to JPS black for serious cases ;)

Daz

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

Also heard of Greek divers packing the sufferer in ice and sitting on his chest. Preumably the theory is to get all the bubbly blood to the core and squeeze the bubbles out.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Hobby on 12:48 pm on Jan. 30, 2003
Fierce!
A long time ago,with divers far away,the symptoms of DCS were recognised but obviously were'nt understood.The remedy was to bury the casualty in wet sand up to his neck then get him to chain smoke..what I don't know.This apparently was used for ages with "some"success.I was told that this is an old Turkish thing but that's all I know.Can anyone shed any further light on it?
<span =''>

Well I suppose that chain smoking will seriously increase your heart rate, so in a way that could be beneficial, but it'll reduce the O2 carrying capacity , which is obviously undesirable. I imagine the sandbox would be intended to either create some pressure greater than ambient (not as silly as it sounded on first reading) plus similar to the ice treatment it may encourage the blood to move away from the skin into deeper tissues.
Mind, this really is grasping at scientific straws
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Steve W on 2:42 pm on Jan. 30, 2003
Mind, this really is grasping at scientific straws
Chee-az
Steve
<span =''>
Oh yea, they both kill/paralyse you, but that wasn't the question. ;)

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Remember though people that scientific principles once told us the world was flat,lying with a virgin would cure a dose and hanging your head out of the Rocket's carriage would lead to asphyxiation!
Hobby.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Merely my efforts to "shed light" as requested, I hope you guys don't think I actually support those hypotheses on  DIY cures.

As for scientific misbelief, you don't have to go as far back as those examples Hobby;  even Linus Pauling, the only man to win TWO unshared Nobel Prizes (one for chemistry, one for peace),  can get it wrong; he thought that if we all took massive doses of Vitamin C we'd all be much healthier, yet a little basic knowledge of chemistry shows  you how that would in fact be quite harmful.

Regards
Steve

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Nahhh best idea for curing a bend is do an extra 5mins on the six M stop on the second dive.

Mind you if its a serious bend, Id make it 10

all the best

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

How's about this for a cure.  You give the person some new-fangled gas called oxygen, I believe this is the name that those wacky boffins have called it. Then you all gasp in astonishment(Oooh's and Ahhh's) when the wonderful men in their flying machines appear from the sky and, as if by magic, teleport the patient into the belly of the huge 4-winged beast. They then soar away to be taken to the bent divers Valhalla in which mystical lotion's and potion's are applied, all the while ancient chant's are, well, chanted. You are then placed on the Virgins tight(or is that the tight Virgins) alter to lie before the great God who is known only by the name recompressicus chambericus, whose arms tightly embrace your whole body and soul. When the great God feels that his magic is done he slowly releases his embrace.
Do you think it'll ever catch on?

Peter  

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Nahhhh that just daft M8

Any way they have scraped the Portland Helecopther >

Mark Chase

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Mark Chase on 8:43 pm on Feb. 1, 2003
Any way they have scraped the Portland Helecopther >

Mark Chase
<span =''>
Ah, but they ain't scrapped the three I use. :pilot:

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

And then the great God Recompressicus Chambericus did appear from the skies above and as his many worshippers bowed down before him in reverence he did speak the speak which must never be spaken "Ah, but they ain't scrapped the three I use".

Peter
PS I made up the bit about the Virgins altar. There is no way you'll find a Virgin in Millport.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Pete, you could stay sober carry the gear and drive the van while I dive drink and take a knap.:idea:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts