YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I was reading Brens' "Red Sea - In a Nutshell" post and I've decided that I'm going to go to Dahab at the end of Oct for a week...I looked on the site recommended and I didn't find the prices too bad...but, I need to find a flight...Does anyone have any preferances to travel companies or airlines to use?

x x x

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ Aug. 07 2003,12:16)]I was reading Brens' "Red Sea - In a Nutshell" post and I've decided that I'm going to go to Dahab at the end of Oct for a week...I looked on the site recommended and I didn't find the prices too bad...but, I need to find a flight...Does anyone have any preferances to travel companies or airlines to use?

x x x
Dahab is absolutely amazing!  I was there in February for a week and found it superb - great dives, wonderful people and a really chilled place to spend some time.  You will have a fab time and if you want me to tell you my thoughts on the dive sites or email you some pics, I would be more than happy to.

I stayed at the Bedouin Moon hotel which was lovely but a little too basic to be honest.  Their dive club, reef 2000, was great - really helpful and professional.

Have a great time!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Don't know if Air2000 fly into your planned destination airport but if they do, it might be worth a try. (What is the closest airport to Dahab ?)

Crap food, crap legroom (But then who isn't) and you have to pay for headphones,  and drinks.

But the flight is not that long really and check out this from their website

Daz,

Used them earlier this year, lots of luggage, pony cylinder, video camera and housing (Carry on) that was into Hurgada.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LesleySS @ Aug. 07 2003,14:49)]Dahab is absolutely amazing!  I was there in February for a week and found it superb - great dives, wonderful people and a really chilled place to spend some time.  You will have a fab time and if you want me to tell you my thoughts on the dive sites or email you some pics, I would be more than happy to.

I stayed at the Bedouin Moon hotel which was lovely but a little too basic to be honest.  Their dive club, reef 2000, was great - really helpful and professional.

Have a great time!
<font color='#810541'>I'd appreciate you sending me some pictures (you should be able to find me e-mail address somewhere) I've had a look on the Reef website and they only show a few pics, but they're breath taking!

Thankyou!!!

x x x

Daz, I think the nearest airport the Dahab is Sharm, followed by Luxor.

Thanks for the site.....going to have a gander at it now....

x x x

·
Registered
61 Posts
Imported post

Nearest airport is definitely Sharm, only about an hour drive away, all others would be quite a trek.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I'm having real trouble finding a reasonablely priced flight thats available!

The best one I've found so far is £328, but there were no seats available......

x x x

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Right, just found a flight!!!!! £278, which I didn't think was too bad.

Can anyone tell me...will I need to get a Egyptian Visa? The travel agent seemed to think I would.

x x x

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Visas -

My experience was in Cairo, no doubt others will be able to expand on the Sharm situation. Basically on arrival you have to go to a counter and buy what seem to be some ordinary postage stamps, and stick them in your passport before you go through immigration. We arrived not knowing what to do, so it was all a bit confusing.

Some other bits and pieces on visas (and also general travellers tips for Egypt here:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/letters/afr/egy_pc.htm

(don't get too worried by some of the hassle-related info on that page - Dahab is more relaxed and less in-your-face-rip-you-off than other tourist centres in Egypt, though you will have to put up with a bit of it - hotel touts on arrival etc. Do be careful though, a couple of girls we met out there had nasty sexual-harrassment type problems with local men)

When I was there I dived with this lot:

http://www.nesima-resort.com/

They seemed pretty professional and well equipped, their hotel also looked pretty smart. I did a try dive with them (this was about 3 years ago before I got certified) and they looked after me pretty well.

Hope that's some use, and I wish I was going!

Tom

·
Registered
61 Posts
Imported post

Kate,

you do need a visa, but you get this on arrival at Sharm airport, you'll need to pay in cash. I seem to remember that this could be paid for by £ or $, I believe it was in the region of £15.

They make you all go in a line and there is a couple of officials who relieve you off your money and stamp your passport, doesn't take long

HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts