YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Based on the fab reviews on YD for the Red Sea Relax resort in Dahab, I have made an initial enquiry about a holiday in late August/early September. My plan is to stay for ten days, and dive for at least five. However, I have few questions which I hope someone will be able to help me with :angel:

- As will be pretty hot this time of year :sun: is it too hot for relaxing in the shade with a book on my free days?
- I'm impressed with the free/cheap dorm accommodation but has anyone used it?
- I'll be there on my own (and a bit nervous that I'll be billy no mates in the evenings!) is Dahab/Red Sea Relax a pretty laid back/sociable place?
- How much should I expect to spend on food & drinks over the 10 days? £300?

Apologies if these are really silly, but I've never been on holiday on my own before (or even booked one!) so hoping to make sure I don't have any surprises! Any other Dahab advice would be great :)

Many thanks
Becky

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Hi all,

Based on the fab reviews on YD for the Red Sea Relax resort in Dahab, I have made an initial enquiry about a holiday in late August/early September. My plan is to stay for ten days, and dive for at least five. However, I have few questions which I hope someone will be able to help me with :angel:

- As will be pretty hot this time of year :sun: is it too hot for relaxing in the shade with a book on my free days?
- I'm impressed with the free/cheap dorm accommodation but has anyone used it?
- I'll be there on my own (and a bit nervous that I'll be billy no mates in the evenings!) is Dahab/Red Sea Relax a pretty laid back/sociable place?
- How much should I expect to spend on food & drinks over the 10 days? £300?

Apologies if these are really silly, but I've never been on holiday on my own before (or even booked one!) so hoping to make sure I don't have any surprises! Any other Dahab advice would be great :)

Many thanks
Becky
Hi Becky,

I stayed at RSR in Feb 2007, my trip report here.

To answer a couple of your questions though..

We had a sea room and it was very adequate for our needs. Clean and a great power shower. As I say in my report thought it's not the Hilton, but doesn't pretend to be either. I knew a guy was staying in the free dorm, he said it was adequate for his needs but he was the only one in there at the time.

I found we got hassled a bit, but that's no different from Sharm. I think you would need a female perspective as you are going alone. There was only one incident that I nearly punched someone for though.

£300 for food over 10 days will be plenty!

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've been to Dahab half a dozen times, last time was at Easter. I've never used RSR so I can't comment on their accommodation, but as for your other questions:

Temperature - it can get into the low 40s in August, but the humidity is low and there's almost always a breeze off the sea which makes it quite pleasant. You'll be fine in the shade, but make sure you drink lots of water.

Sociable & laid back - I've never been anywhere more laid back than Dahab. Divers generally are a pretty sociable bunch, I'm sure you'll make friends and won't be lonely in the evenings. There are loads of places to go in the evenings, try Tota's (about 50m from RSR) and the Blue Beach. You'll get hassled to go into every shop and restaurant along the front - just smile and politely say no.

Money - you'll bring back plenty of change from £300, £20 a day should be enough. I usually take £50 in Egyptian pounds with me and use the ATMs in town for the rest of my money as the exchange rate is much better (and I don't pay commission on foreign transactions)

Other advice - Taxis are cheap, don't pay more than 15LE to go anywhere in Dahab. Take plenty of books as there's very little else to do apart from diving and windsurfing, though St Catherines on Mt. Sinai is worth a visit to watch the sunset or sunrise. Make sure you dive the Bells to Blue Hole, Canyon and Islands.

Enjoy yourself

:)

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Yep

What Druid said. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Becky,

I just got back from RSR on Sunday, its my second time there, and this time I went on my own. I didn't stay in the dorm, but I have seen them and would probably stay in the dorm next time as its such a good deal. Its not the luxury of say staying at the Hilton, but the chilled out atmosphere and staff make it a fab place to stay.

You really don't need to worry about going on your own, the staff there are so friendly you won't feel lonely for a minute, I certainly didn't. It was pretty hot last week, so I spent most the time in the shade chilling out between dives reading or chatting with the others there.

I would have said that about £10 a day is adequate if you're not planning on going out drinking heavily in the evenings, I ate some nights at RSR and then out a couple of nights.

RSR can arrange a car to pick you up from the airport, which I did and it took the stress out of finding a taxi, the driver was waiting for me when I arrived and the same driver took me back.

Jen :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I absolutely love Dahab. I think everyone else has covered your previous questions but thought I would add my comments too! You are certain to meet lots of people. It's very good to sit and have a drink in the Bedouin restaurants off the beach after your day's diving. I always go for the cheap accommodation as I only want a place to get my head down and store my gear. Always spot on for me at the other resorts although not stayed at RSR. One thing that always annoys me at the other resorts is saltwater showers. I don't know if that is the case with RSR.

Diving in Dahab is nice and relaxed. Dive sites already recommended are excellent. If you get chance it might also be worth having a look at a day trip to dive from Sharm. Not too expensive and adds something a bit different to the holiday. Also, I usually get a taxi to Sharm the day before I fly home so that I get one night in a comfortable hotel where the night life is a bit livelier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all of your replies, it's definitely made my mind up - I'm going to Dahab :thumbsup: (assuming I can find a flight!)

Jen, whilst you were there did you get much hassle, being on your own & female? In Marsa last year, as I was part of a large mixed group and everything was resort based, I had no problems & felt quite comfortable (apart from being nicknamed "many camels" on arrival!)

Thanks again
Becky

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
RedSeaFlights are also a good source of cheap flights. August is school holidays though, so flights are going to be more expensive. Prices usually come down as you get close to the departure date but it can be a bit nerve wracking waiting until the last minute before booking your flight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, I didn't get any hassle, you get the usual people trying to get you into their shops/restaurants and the bedouin girls trying to sell their bracelets, but its all very good natured and friendly and not a problem at all.

Are your dates fixed to August/Sept as I'm thinking about going back mid July if you fancy travelling with someone else?

The other thing I would add is that if you dont have it already, it might be worth considering doing your deep spec while you're out there. There's a couple of sites, in particular the Canyon where its nice to go a little deeper. You can still dive all the sites to 30m, but to go a little bit deeper into the Canyon is just spectacular. Oh, how I wish I was still ther now...don't know if I can wait until July!

Jen :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the deep spec advice Jen. I've got the course booked for Stoney in July, it's not quite Egypt but sounds like it could be handy!

Unfortunately I am rather limited to late Aug/Sept because of a lack of holiday entitlement at work, so I'm gonna make full use the Aug bank holiday instead! Such a shame as having a someone to go with would have been great (and a girlie too!)

Bex

·
Registered
6 Posts
You just simply can't spend 300 quid during your 10 days. Don't leave out the St Catarina Monastery and Mount Sinai above it. I did it a few years ago, hired a camel for the way up (had very little time), then walked on the way back. Another must is the Colour Canyon, you will love it. Better then just sitting above a book ;-)

-- joseph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts