YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two DarkBuster 24W HID lights. They are a few years old now and the oldest was only giving about 10 minutes burn time and eventually wouldn't take a charge. New batteries were £75 each when I asked but I'd read about putting Li-ion batteries in the freezer with good results so thought nothing to lose, may as well gve it a bash!

After a week in the freezer the battery took a full charge and the burn test gave 116 minutes. They are rated at 120 minutes new. I was very suprised indeed to get back to nearly new capacity.

I'll need to use the light a bit to see if it's really worked, but looks promising at the moment. The second battery is currently in the freezer.

I have no idea about Li-ion battery chemistry and what freezing temps might do, so unsure how this can work. Apparently Li-ion doesn't actually freeze till much colder than the freezer so it shouldn't actually cause damage.

Thought this may be useful if anyone else wanted to try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm keen to try this, as my Darkbuster battery currently isn't taking any charge. Did you put the whole torch in the freezer? If not, how on earth did you open the torch to remove the battery, I've been trying for a while now. Thanks

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
I'm keen to try this, as my Darkbuster battery currently isn't taking any charge. Did you put the whole torch in the freezer? If not, how on earth did you open the torch to remove the battery, I've been trying for a while now. Thanks
It does unscrew eventually. I used a strap wrench on mine.

Janos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.