YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Here's a question for you. I have never, ever hidden behind "funny names", I have laid my diving heart out on this board many-a-time. The majority have seen it! The people on this board I trust, have seen it

Who the fu*k are you?

C'mon Darthmoll. Out the shadows, who "ARE" you?

PETER KELLY

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>It's a fair point, Peter.

As a matter of principle I always use my real name on the net, mainly because it would be so easy to lie. I think it is an environment that more than anywhere else needs a genuine spirit of honesty, for the benefit and protection of all.

Why hide behind a handle?

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#348781'>Here here!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

Wonder if it is "J Clark" from Brisbane. That was the e mail address of the originator of the first silly posts on dnet a few weeks ago. If you send darthmoll a private mail, I think you get their e mail address back - don't you?

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>my own thread, i am not sure what i have done to be so honoured.

Why is it important who i am, i have been a member for a long time and as far as i can remmember, have not posted any 'silly' messages.

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Imported post

Who the f**k is Darth Moll? Have i missed an important part of my childhood not knowing this?  Is he/she an important characters from some film or book my parents deprived me of seeing as a child? But who the f**k is he/she?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Except in Star Wars it's "Darth Maul". Darth Moll wouldn't have had the same ring to it.

Would have been like Obi-Wan getting killed by Darth Velvet...

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (darthmoll @ Feb. 20 2004,08:57)]Why is it important who i am, i have been a member for a long time and as far as i can remmember, have not posted any 'silly' messages.
<font color='#000080'>To be honest I don't know why Peter has picked on you and my support of his point is only in general terms.

But essentially your contribution here (and that of others using handles) is faceless and anonymous, which in an unfortunate ways diminishes it's value slightly. Advice given from a person that you know and trust is valuable. The same advice from a disembodied entity - an unkown source - is less so. Which is a shame.

I'll turn your question on it's head, but pose it to all using 'pen-names'. Why is it so important to disguise who you are?

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (laterontoday @ Feb. 20 2004,09:00)]Who the f**k is Darth Moll? Have i missed an important part of my childhood not knowing this?  Is he/she an important characters from some film or book my parents deprived me of seeing as a child? But who the f**k is he/she?
<font color='#0000FF'>Come on Guys, lets not slag people off for hiding behind an alias.  

I have to say when reading Darthmol last year I did think she was a he, sorry no offence.  
 but I don't think that abusing each other will help.  So laterontoday identify yourself

Fiona

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

People use different login names for a variety of reasons. I personally just thought that was what you were supposed to do, as using your real name in certain cases is ill advised especially broadcasting it to the thousands of webspiders, spam engines and stuff on the internet. We don't know who reads the forums and an internet persona is usually different from the face to face one, and that, in most cases will result in an ill formed opinion of that person. How many of us have met a YD member and realised they are nothing at all like you thought?

I quite like using a handle instead of my real name, and anyone who suggested that my opinions were 'faceless and of diminished value' would get no argument, I would just vote with my feet and move on. Life is too short for this kind of negative interaction.

An opinion is an opinion, and Darth Moll is entitled to his/hers. He/she is also entitled to use a 'handle' and I don't think this form of personal attack and 'forum bullying' is valid in Yorkshire Divers, after all, both 'owners' of YD, Headsup and Andy2tanx have handles.

As a general observation, if you have a problem with certain posts and start to get personal your message is lost and those who read cannot learn from your mistakes or from the point you are trying to make. I tend to think of it as a forum for debate, and personal attacks just spoil it for others, it just becomes noise which readers ignore.

In conclusion, although I feel that arguing FOR computers is inherently flawed, I support his/her use of a handle and anyone else for that matter, its a free country after all.

Please calm down and talk about diving FFS.

Andy (surname withheld because I feel like it)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>When I first signed onto DNet, I used a handle, as I felt that it might help stop the "personal abuse" that sometimes occurs on that site.

When I got fed up with all the rattle-throwing that goes on over "there", I joined YD, but kept the same handle, to offer some continuity to the members of both forums...

Having said that, I use my "real" name if I PM others, or if I feel that it is otherwise required.

I don't think its too big an issue, unless "handles" start getting abusive (like on DNET!)

Regards all, and have a good (and safe) wet to all that are heading to stoney this weekend...

Andrew (aka abucksdiver!)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Imported post

My name is James Belcher. Most people call me Jamie. Personaly i like to be crisspy fiver - diver on Yorkshire Divers it suits me better. Im not hiding I just dont really want my picture on the web in case i end up on www.mingers.com or have my head attached to a womans body.

If i ever email people its always from either my hotmail or work address with my correct name.

Im also 27 and feel that most of the faces on here are old ones. lol. If I ask a question or give advice to an elder they may not listen due to my age.

Each to there own i say. Real name fake name picuter or not.

Take care

Jamie

ps

I was joking about the old faces before you all attack me!!!!!!!!

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#348781'>Not sure what the big deal is really, whether i call myself Gityerkneedahn, Big Daddy Long Stroke or Ian Fox, my posts will be the same.

The internet is an inherently anonymous place, unless you know the poster personally any advice given cannot really be trusted as anything more than someones opinion, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Of course it's up to everyone to decide for themselves whether they want to appear as themselves or under an alias but, on the whole, I agree with those that say your real name carries greater credibility. Personally, I have appeared on three forums under my own name for several years and the recent Dr Tim episode on Divernet was the first time it has caused me any grief. To those of you who believe using an alias will protect you against spam, I can only say ignorance is bliss! And if anybody really wants to know who Darth Moll or Wet Lettuce is, it's relatively easy to find out if you have a little knowledge of computers.
Finally, Darth Moll has never posted trolls or abusive posts, as far as I can remember, so if he/she wants to carry on using his/her alias, that's fine by me.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I use my real name, albeit abbreviated, on here as I'd forget my 'handle' otherwise. Aquabin on Dnet because I had a soppy moment, I'd change the name over there if I cared.

Good point Jamie, but I hope all divers would listen to you and your views regardless of age. I appreciate your apprehension, but a 21 yo with 300 dives, might well have more to offer than some crinkly at 49 with 65 dives (me  
). So dont let your youth hold you back.

Matt

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I've always been under the impression that using real names in an impersonal forum is not a good thing, and despite YD being friendly generally it's still an impersonal forum.  

Aclivity is in my dictionary as a 'slope, incline or hill'.  And my surname is Hill.  I wanted to register a personal domain so I could retain the same email address even when I move ISP, and as www.hill.everything was already taken I decided to be a bit lateral.

I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment that using any kind of nickname is a bad thing, in fact in certain circumstances it is in fact safer to hide your real identity from public view.

Andy

1 - 20 of 73 Posts