·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

l read this thinking that "DCI and Womens Issues" meant
DCI and............ pick any of the following
1. Sense of humor failure.
2. Lipstick.
3. broken washing machine or any kitchen apliance.
4. Handbags

etc. etc. etc.

Turns out its about transport.  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Any use?
Debatable.  All i know is that if anyone gets between me and chocolate when i got PMT he better be quick on his feet.

Dive Girl did a feature a long time ago about diving with tampons in, and the worry of air being trapped above them, making them shoot out as you ascend.  I nearly cracked a rib with the mental image of having to go to the dive shop and explain why you now had a gaping hole in your drysuit crotch and were walking like John Wayne.

Whats the difference between a rottweiler and a woman with PMT?  Lipstick.

·
Armchair diver and slummy mummy
592 Posts
Imported post

I think that the subject is quite interesting, although I only managed to gather that you would be more likely to get DCI when you had a period (ie when you would be most unlikely to want to spend hours on a rib/hardboat, miles from shore (and toilet)) dressed in a boil in the bag.

As Porg said, she almost cracked a rib laughing about the thought of explaining the hole in her drysuit as a result of the tampon being ejaculated - me too!

Josie

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Josie @ Nov. 25 2003,22:58)]As Porg said, she almost cracked a rib laughing about the thought of explaining the hole in her drysuit as a result of the tampon being ejaculated - me too!
And woe betide the poor bugger following up the shotline.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

But the air expanding above a tampon is only a problem if the air wasn't there before you descended.  

If you have a trick that allows you to create such an air pocket 30m down, locked in a drysuit you should join the circus!

Lou

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

No chance of air leaking across tissue boundaries and into the area/void from elsewhere?

I suppose I could add that I am not a guynacologist (sp?) but I suspect most people already know that.

Matt

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Well, do you get these random pockets elsewhere, big enough to eject projectiles?

Mind you, I did see that guy on tv the other night who could fart by sucking air up into his bum through some serious sphincter control, before expelling it "musically"........ ;)

or indeed

Seriously the article seemed to say that you may or may not be at a greater risk during the first week of menstruation, but if you are this is increased by taking the pill.  

Still think the circus trick is more interesting though........  

Lou

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Dec. 01 2003,16:39)]No chance of air leaking across tissue boundaries and into the area/void from elsewhere?
Matt, I think you might be revealing  a litle too much about the type of girls you used to be associated with before getting married  

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Steve you are reading too much into the question.

I thought you were a scientist and went on the evidence before you rather than assumptions.
It was a serious question, assuming a leak across tissue at depth then as you surfaced the air would expand in the void and voila volatile projection.
Matt

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

I have heard about oro-nasal facial piercings leaking (which is why i have none....have plenty everywhere else
 ) but never of gasses being able to diffuse through membranes they cant do normally when you are at depth.  A really nasty infection could generate gas i spose (all the bugs farting), but only a congential defect makes a hole between your intestines and your fanny (it does happen, but i cant remember the term for it.....Mary will probably know).  The air would have to be there before you put the tampon in.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Dec. 01 2003,21:46)](it does happen, but i cant remember the term for it.....Mary will probably know).  
a fistula, conection of one surface with another which ain't supposed to be there, after nasty childbirth, abcess or in crohn's disease. but I can't think of any way air would just appear above a tampon unless you have a rip roaring infection (in which case you would be feeling v rough so unlikely to be in the water) then gas cannot just "appear" from anywhere.

maybe this is being confused (in an odd way) with women and windsurfing or watersking in just swimsuits. - not a good idea, if you're going too fast and then fall off, land at an awkward angle and water can go right in through the uterus and fallopian tubes and into your peritoneum (the kind of sack in which all your guts swill around etc). can then cause peritonitis. mind you this is about as common as scorpion bites causing pancreatitis  

anyway off to work.....
today i shall relish the prospect of feeling old men's prostates bet you're all envious huh huh?

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Dec. 01 2003,21:46)]I have heard about oro-nasal facial piercings leaking (which is why i have none....have plenty everywhere else
 )
leaking?! leaking how? leaking where?

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

When i joined the club i was warned that all my metal work would cause problems (i will me melted down for scrap when i die).  However, the scuba-morons who said this have been proven wrong with never having had a piercing related problem.  

I did however, not get any oro-nasal piercings as i heard that they leak water at depth.  I heard from a "pillar of wisdom" (who i have now decided is an arse, but never mind) lips, chins, beauty spots etc could leak water into your mouth, and a nasal piercing can be uncomfortable when mask clearing or during mask squeeze.  He does come out with some crap, but i decided not to risk it.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Errrr.......

OK - a dumb question from `hte other side`

Given what was said above (a la waterskiing etc) does this mean that if I have a sha..........  errrr.....nooky with Mrs K in the sea then she could get an infection...........??

Go on lads - admit it - you were thinking of this as well (hopefully not with Mrs K of course.....!!

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Oddly enough I wasnt thinking that but I do remember Scubadoc I think it was saying sex in water was not a good idea due to risk of infection.

Matt

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

Air in your upper.......erm....parts can get in there from sex (certain positions...ahem), and im pretty sure that if it stays up there it can let aerobic bacteria breed that would normally not be able to as they need air to do so.  But again as Mary said, you would be feeling pretty rough and not be in any mood to dive.

So anyway - sex in the sea could result in sea water getting into the same places, and sea water being not the cleanest of substances will have loads of wee bugs in it.  Plus imagine....sand...grating on your most sensitive parts.  OUCH.

I recall dive girl taking on the subject.  The only comment i can clearly recall is "thank god for dumpy cylinders".

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Dec. 02 2003,20:38)]Oddly enough I wasnt thinking that but I do remember Scubadoc I think it was saying sex in water was not a good idea due to risk of infection.

Matt
Wonder if we could submit it to PADI as a new speciality.

There could be a "Discover shagging underwater"
and also an advanced version, involving a deep dive! and navigation exercise for the blokes (Hey I had to say it, one of the girls would otherwise!  
)

Teaching it could be fun as well!  Obviously the candidates would have to be assessed before agreeing to take them on as students...

I'm guessing checking your depth guage and air might take some of the magic out of it, not to mention being marked on a slate!

Also I'm guessing Stoney in February would not be an option.

Daz

1 - 20 of 28 Posts