YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Had a great dive yesterday - despite the cr*p weather and viz.

However, after the dive I noticed an itchy rash, and felt knackered (usual after a deep dive on air).  

I remembered the signs and symptoms of mild DCI, namely Fatigue, Skin rash and Itching.  Wouldn't normally worry, but did more work than usual underwater.

Got it checked out - not a problem.

So, from the chamber people I found out that a later, more serious sign is a "mottling" of the skin, like this...

What I don't have is any pictures of the less serious stuff. Has anyone got any images of the less serious DCI skin rashes?  It'd be useful, so people know what to look out for.

Did get poked and prodded by a rather nice nurse though...

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Not got any pictures but when I got a skin bend, it felt like you describe. Almost like mild sunburn - apparently there was a visable rash but it was on my shoulders so I never saw it. At the chamber, they were a little concerned to see it as apparently it can be a sign of a PFO related bend.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Mar. 14 2004,18:36)]Did get poked and prodded by a rather nice nurse though...
Anything for a poke...

Glad you're OK, you and Doug would have made a fine pair

BTW, I can't read the pic off your C drive

"C:\DATA\Home\Dive\Dive medical\skin bend picture.gif"

Adrian

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sod the pics of yer bend - where's the pics of the nurse!!?

Seriously mate, glad to hear you're in better fettle - and not too proud to get to the pot!

Well-in.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Md

Glad your ok, any chance of getting the pic displayed by maybe Jay? as i cannot open it.

Jay

Would it be a viable option to set up a DCI signs and symptoms picture library as part of the site for members reference? Sure we could get a usefull set of Pic's from members.

Regards

Paul

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I was checked out for a possible skin bend, but by the time i got seen at A&E it had gone - had been on 100% o2 following my buddy having a fast ascent - my ascent was normal.  Was blotchy and red - very much like the one i get every time i go for a hot shower, only a hell of a lot itchier (i was nearly flattened by a guy on a liveaboard when i emerged from the shower all blotchy and red).  
The best way i can describe it was a mottled red patch (x 20) with a small slightly raised bit in the middle.  It was across my arms, neck, back and chest.  And if you think im gonna post a pic of me chest on here you got another thing coming!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Mar. 14 2004,20:27)] And if you think im gonna post a pic of me chest on here you got another thing coming!
well, quite, you couldn't: you lack the appropriate wide-angled lenses for such a venture for a kick-off!

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Dammit!  The link was supposed to be to an uploaded pic...  Anyone tell me how to upload pics please?! What a numptie...

Jay, bit concerned to hear about the PFO prognosis!  I'll have to give myself a good dunking to check - 55m is about right isn't it Doug?

Paul,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]DCI signs and symptoms picture library
Top idea, and kind of what I was getting to.  I sometimes wonder whether a proper reference section would be useful on a site like this.  Distill the words of wisdom and all that.  Any thoughts Jay?

Thanks for the kinds words all, but I really wasn't that beaten up.  It was more a check to be sure.  Good point Bren about being too proud to get checked - early diagnosis being essential.

Just one thing - the Doctor (Rachel) was quite pleased to have a guinea pig for the Med student (Mmmmmmmmmm....) to practice on. I'm going to check with them tomorrow and if they need more of them, I'm hoping we can support DDRC by being guinea pigs when needed.  I for one will be first in the queue...

She was gorgeous...

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Ok Md

Sign me up for that

Regards

Paul

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Mar. 14 2004,18:58)]
Glad you're OK, you and Doug would have made a fine pair
The nurse had a "fine pair".

The same Dr as Giles had. Nowhere near as scary as Dr sharp.

I knew for definate when i got my 1st bend, and the skin bend had gone by the morning with the 2nd one. He just wanted some attention (been having a hard time at work) and i've lost the ability to do 'sympathetic'. I didn't think you could get bent on a shore dive.

I'm un-bendable now, so it will be one of you lot that gets it. not me.  

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Mar. 15 2004,07:48)]I didn't think you could get bent on a shore dive.

I'm un-bendable now, so it will be one of you lot that gets it. not me.  
Why not ?  you can get dead on a shore dive.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Now-now, chaps! This runs the risk of emulating 'another place'! Unless I've missed the giggle?

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

ROFWL Porg!  I think that should become the YD motto!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He just wanted some attention (been having a hard time at work) and i've lost the ability to do 'sympathetic'
You don't phone, you don't write - what does a guy have to do to get some sympathy round here?!!!  (It's in the Dictionary, between sh*t and syphillis!) 

He's right - you'd have to go some to get bent on a shore dive, but it depends on which shore.  In my case, I had symptoms that fitted and a cause - what I didn't have was any point of reference, hence the need for piccies.  And enough drivel you lot, where are the pictures???  Even the med students haven't got any!!!

Thanks Fiona - do you have a nurses uniform by the way?

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I met a Doctor on Holiday last year in Menorca, who works at the Hyperbaric Chamber in Southampton? I think? Or near there. She was loverly, and she dived too. When we told her we were from Edinburgh, she recomended a very good BSAC club to join. Turns out we were already members and she knows half the lot in our club.

Hi Jo if your reading this.

Dave C

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Mar. 15 2004,21:00)]go on, i dare you  -  "I DEMAND AN APOLOGY"

Ok then, having treated literally dozens of divers who got bent on a shore dive, and attempted to assist (either by searching, co-ordinating searching, or giving CPR to) double figures of divers who got dead on a shore dive :-

I DEMAND AN APOLOGY

1 - 20 of 23 Posts