YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the telly, 1 in 7 of us is hard of hearing or deaf. Now I am pretty deaf in my left ear (a hereditary problem) and I spend a lot of time saying "eh?? "What" "sorry".

And I was thinking tonight, when my friend was staying last night, I said "what" a couple of times and after he had repeated things twice, I just nodded and mumbled "Yes" or "oh" .

Now I have no idea what I have agreed to.

·
More yokel than local moi luvver
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I get this all the time, but my housemate is Scottish, so half the time it turns out he's not actually making any sense anyhow. Bairns, Greeting, you name it.

Some people in this life are good listeners. I am a good talker. I know my talents, and I don't try and be someone I'm not :D

Digs.

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
I heard that. Pardon?

I'm a bit mutt in the left ear as well. I was told it was likely because I used to do a lot of shooting without ear defenders.

That said, my Mum is very deaf so maybe it is hereditary. :frown:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
I'm a bit mutt in the left ear as well. I was told it was likely because I used to do a lot of shooting without ear defenders.

That said, my Mum is very deaf so maybe it is hereditary. :frown:
I copped a muzzle blast from an 81mm mortar, just after I'd removed my hearing defenders about 9 years ago and things haven't been the same since.

The No. 1 called "rounds complete" (so I lifted my muffs off to quickly speak to the line officer), then he found they weren't, so chucked the last bomb down the tube without warning apart from a split second "fire fire".

When it's quiet I now hear a high pitched hum.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Noise comp with drummer bassist guitarist saxophonist and I won.

Ringing ears but not too much deafness

Now work on a selective deafness system

"Sorry, didn't hear that!"

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
I copped a muzzle blast from an 81mm mortar, just after I'd removed my hearing defenders about 9 years ago and things haven't been the same since.

The No. 1 called "rounds complete" (so I lifted my muffs off to quickly speak to the line officer), then he found they weren't, so chucked the last bomb down the tube without warning apart from a split second "fire fire".

When it's quiet I now hear a high pitched hum.
OOOWWWWW they're bloody loud!

I rocked up at the FP with mark 1 fingers in ears and I'd never heard anything like it.

I was a good 30' away at the time too. No ears that close to the tube? I'm suprised you're not stone deaf.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
OOOWWWWW they're bloody loud!

I rocked up at the FP with mark 1 fingers in ears and I'd never heard anything like it.

I was a good 30' away at the time too. No ears that close to the tube? I'm suprised you're not stone deaf.

5 years in Mortar Platoon, it had to happen sooner or later. Did you ever use those smart hearing defenders, with a microphone in them? There's a doover inside which blanks out loud noises but when that's not going on, you can have a normal conversation.

If you turn the amplifier right up, you have outstanding hearing. I didn't realise this until the Mortar Line Officer heard me murmuring something to the effect that he was an arrogant prick from over 40 metres (two tubes) away, (actually he was a good bloke).

After this, I found out that if you turned em right up and got real close, you could actually hear caterpillars crunching on leaves. Outstanding.

I reckon the Charliegutsache was louder.

YouTube - Australian Army 84mm Carl Gustav Practice

Check out the OiC Prac's comments when he thought the last shot was a blind.

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
5 years in Mortar Platoon, it had to happen sooner or later. Did you ever use those smart hearing defenders, with a microphone in them? There's a doover inside which blanks out loud noises but when that's not going on, you can have a normal conversation.

If you turn the amplifier right up, you have outstanding hearing. I didn't realise this until the Mortar Line Officer heard me murmuring something to the effect that he was an arrogant prick from over 40 metres (two tubes) away, (actually he was a good bloke).

After this, I found out that if you turned em right up and got real close, you could actually hear caterpillars crunching on leaves. Outstanding.

I reckon the Charliegutsache was louder.

YouTube - Australian Army 84mm Carl Gustav Practice

Check out the OiC Prac's comments when he thought the last shot was a blind.

Fantastic tool the Charlie G.

Mind you if I had to spend five years in a pit, I would have deafened myself to get out too ;)

I've never bought a set of those things, I really ought to, I spend a lot of time on the ranges but the cheaper civvy ones won't fit under a brit mil Mk6/6a helmet so it seems a waste, since the ones that do fit are about £100, too much IMHO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.