YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks back I purchased an item, and whilst trying to keep track of my finances, I have noticed that the payment has not yet been taken from my bank account. I then went back to the original receipt, only to find that the transaction had been voided, and no money was ever debited from my account - I walked out of the shop without even realising, as I'm guessing did the shop assistant.
Will they come looking for me for payment, or was it my lucky day? Can they 'track me down' via their copy of the voided receipt?
I haven't spent the money, so not a biggie, but wondered how long I should keep it marked as uncleared?
Regards
Martin

EDIT - I think this should have gone in the Non-Diving section? Mods - please move if appropriate.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
threre is nothing they can do unless you go in and pay for the item so it will be a freebe

i have done the same taken the payment and it was void (first time using the machine) customer goes out with goods and thats it whos to say they didnt give me cash after the ticket was void?

and if your with Lloyds they wont give out any information

Graham

·
Corner Queen
684 Posts
You have just won! There's nothing they can now do. I have made this mistake, and the retailer just has to swallow it, unless you fancy going and owning up!

·
Se mi havus multe da mono mi acxetus novan biciklo
1,030 Posts
What's to stop the retailer rekeying the transaction as 'customer not present'? Sure you could raise a chargeback, but you'd end up having to explain why you were avoiding making payment having received the goods.

The retailer could also chase the matter up through the issuing bank and if necessary sue in the county court. If there is intent to continue to avoid payment once the error is realised there may also be an offence under the Theft Act. One of our resident lawyers or plods would know better than me.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
What's to stop the retailer rekeying the transaction as 'customer not present'? Sure you could raise a chargeback, but you'd end up having to explain why you were avoiding making payment having received the goods.

The retailer could also chase the matter up through the issuing bank and if necessary sue in the county court. If there is intent to continue to avoid payment once the error is realised there may also be an offence under the Theft Act. One of our resident lawyers or plods would know better than me.

i asked the same questions when i screwed up and the answer i got both from the solicitor and bank is they left the shop with the goods so to put it through without the customer being there is fraud and opens a large can of worms

secondly if they pursue it the customer can say yep it was void thats why i paid in cash and left, who's to say the money never made it to the till and if that wasn't the case why did you let the customer leave with the goods and not challenge them then it clearly states void on the receipt

this has happened allot with the new chip and pin as once the numbers in there is no need to look at the ticket trust me hes got away with it

and if there was a way to get the money i would have done it as my loss was for £370 for two Nokia handsets :frown:

Graham

·
Se mi havus multe da mono mi acxetus novan biciklo
1,030 Posts
It would be a breach of your merchant agreement certainly, but wether the goods had been paid for in cash would be settled on the balance of probability and there may be other evidence - the till journal would show credit card not cash, there may be CCTV. The reason you allowed the customer to leave with the goods is obvious - you mistakenly thought that the transaction had been successful. I once allowed a dive shop owner to CNP a transaction after his PDQ failed, losing a days worth of data. Wonder how much that cost him.

I still think the customer is liable for the cost of the goods in civil law and if they realise and make a decision not to rectify the error they may commit a crime. Getting them into court is a completely different matter of course.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Congrats - at this point you are committing an offence of theft. Albeit there was no dishonesty at the time the goods came into your possession, at this point you know that no payment was made, you know that payment was required, and you are intending (presumably) to keep the goods.

I'd also point out that the post you made is also further evidence of guilt.

Would you get away with it - probably - if you plead ignorance if someone comes knocking.

One salve to your concience. Would you walk out of a shop knowlingly avoiding payment for goods? If so, then carry on. If not then perhaps you should think about owning up?

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
Congrats - at this point you are committing an offence of theft. Albeit there was no dishonesty at the time the goods came into your possession, at this point you know that no payment was made, you know that payment was required, and you are intending (presumably) to keep the goods.

I'd also point out that the post you made is also further evidence of guilt.

Would you get away with it - probably - if you plead ignorance if someone comes knocking.

One salve to your concience. Would you walk out of a shop knowlingly avoiding payment for goods? If so, then carry on. If not then perhaps you should think about owning up?
I was going to post something along these lines earlier on but the pub was calling.

I would think that most posters would say "well done and good luck to you"However if they then discovered it was a dive shop you had "bought" the goods from then perhaps the response may be different

Put another way , if you found a computer at a well known dive site and it wasn t claimed at the time , is it then OK to keep it?

I know its an ethical question, and this post isn t meant to raise hackles, but how would you feel if you were the shop owner?

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I was going to post something along these lines earlier on but the pub was calling.

I would think that most posters would say "well done and good luck to you"However if they then discovered it was a dive shop you had "bought" the goods from then perhaps the response may be different

Put another way , if you found a computer at a well known dive site and it wasn t claimed at the time , is it then OK to keep it?

I know its an ethical question, and this post isn t meant to raise hackles, but how would you feel if you were the shop owner?
And this coming from a manc wonders will never cease :teeth:

Personally i'd go back and own up to the mistake.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Yes but your a bloody yorkshireman and tighter than a nuns

1 - 11 of 11 Posts