YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

What are the benefits of buying deco software compared to using an internet freebie?
Do they differ in quality or accuracy (such as it can be) or is is just a case of being prettier, better supported and giving you some one to sue if it goes pear shaped?

I use V-Planner which seems ok; well use is a word, I run a plan, print it, lose it and rely on my trusty Aladin.

Any views

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

I've bought Abyss and DecoPlanner. I've also used GAP, ZPlan, Vplan, MPlan, DDPlan plus a couple more whose names I've forgotten.

I currently use DecoPlan, VPlan and DDPlan. The only real difference in terms of functunality is that DecoPlan comes with a host of extras that may or may not interest you.

As for the core deco planning there isn't alot to choose from DecoPlan and DDPlan. Both are pretty accurate and give similar results. I think DecoPlan has got the best interface out of any of the available progs but whether you wont to spend £ on that's up to you. VPlan uses a different deco model which the other 2 are still working towards implementing. The current version 3.1 is based on a newer deco model introduced cos of user reports of bends associated with the older model. It has good support from the author. As does Decoplan. DDplan has no official support but you can always ask Gorden via email, D-net, uk.rec.scuba.

So as to your original question there isn't alot to be gained by buying deco software as apart from Abyss RGBM model you can get the same model for free.

Saying that I do recomend Decoplan cos of the simplicity of its spread sheet like interface. But you'll get the same results with DDPlan. Also Decoplan is simpler to use to get tables/ bail out options.

Scotty

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Scotty, I'll give Decoplan a try.
Richard

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Decoplanner is very easy to use and understand.

Inputing data is simplicity it's self and I like that you can input diferent SAC's for bottom and deco.

Safety margens are very user defined so its up to you. Just read up on gradiaent factors and make your own choice

Only complaint is that you cant print out all the date and you cant print multiple tables for dive planns.

I usualy print seporate tables and cut them out stick them on a sheet of A4 and photo copy on to one sheet. So I waste 4 sheets of paper for each dive.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

Mark you can cut and paste (ctrl-c and ctrl-v) from deco plan into a spread sheet like excel or lotus and then format to your hearts content.

Scotty

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Thanks Scotty I never thaught of that

Mark Chase

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Mar. 09 2003,13:48)]Thanks Scotty I never thaught of that

Mark Chase
Mark, could you please send me a link for that software? It does work on win 98 or XP?

How do you compare it to GAP?

Thanks in advance

Lawrence

·
Registered
66 Posts
Imported post

You could always try XS - again very easy to use, with control by the user for safety factors, and gas management/ mixing info. Can be found at the Lizardland website for Free!

We used it on a cave diving trip at 1000m asl in Central Spain, using various gases, for three divers of different ages, physiques & fitness. No problems for any of us at all.

Cheers

Scoff
(Cave Diving Group)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How come proplanner didn't get a mention ?.
Cos I'm trying to surpress the memory  

Proplanner adds a safety factor (j factor + Buhlmanns 5% depth adjustment) to the deco. This "safety factor" increases the deco time but not in a consistant manor. You get a different safety factor depending if you are shallow or deep. I prefer to know what fudge factors are applied to any deco I do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How do you compare it to GAP?
I haven't used GAP for years so dont feel qualified to give an opinion on the latest version.

Some URLs:

DecoPlan

VPlan

DDPlan

All three work on 98/ME/2K/XP

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I've only had one problem with ProPlanner but seeing as i've not used anything else i can't slag it too much. And i can't blame it on the programme so it must be me.

·
Mexican Dive Bum
516 Posts
Imported post

I like GAP, particularly the graphical interface.  It also has a really good article on Deep Stops and the theory behind them  in the help section.

For a more convenient way to plan my dives onboard boats, I use GUE's DPlan which is very good and easy to use.  I bought an old Palm from EBay for about £30 which works fine.

Hope this helps,

Lanny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts