YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Following on from Andy the Commie's post about deco software, I'm interesed to see
1) 'who's using what', '
2) are the freebie ones reliable, do they compare with bought ones?
3) what experience there is on the boards? anyone done any comparisons?
4) Anyone happy to share their programs ?
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

I tend to use V-planner, the new update version. I like the ease of use/front end bit. I do find it outrageously conservative when comparing air/nitrox accelerated deco dives to tables/wrist computers. Often the accelerated deco plans it gives (eg using air and then 60% nitrox) get you out the water slower than a straight air profile for the same dive on, say, USN air tables.  Makes me wonder how conservative it is when doing mix dives. I tried GAP but can't seem to get on with it. How do you specify what deco gases you have available? It assumes you have any mixes you want for the ideal profile which just isn't designed for real life, in my opinion.

Everyone tells me I should use Proplanner but can you get it for free? Not sure.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>THere's a "conservatism" option in "config", maybe it's set above "nominal" ?

Pro-planner for free? surely that's possible...isn't it?
Anyone wanna be Santa claus ?

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I could never understand GAP when I first got it.

Then I got DecoWeenie for my Palm, and after getting used to THAT, somehow GAP made sense to me.

Haven't actually dived any of the profiles from either of them yet - the difference between profiles that use GFs and typical computers using straight Buhlmann is so big, I think I'd need to be on Nitrox with an air buddy if I didn't want to become highly unpopular with my computer-using buddies

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Keeping in mind that i got bent to bits last November. I've always heard people slagging Proplanner off.  We've compared a few programmes but i always prefer mine (Proplanner), If they put any more conservatism on the newer stuff, it'll show a stop before you hit the water. My bend wasn't Proplanners, OMS, N/D, Diverite, Poseidon or Uwatecs fault, it was mine. If i can figure out how to send the programme, i will.  

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I use Deco planner and I like it because it is very simple fast and clear in its operation. Safety is a constant variable set by a cover all deep safety feature or by setting gradiant factors to suit your taste. I like the way you can set SAC's seporatly for deco gas and back gas and I like the way you can easily see on screen the effect of gas swaps and gas usage.

It's a very neet package but sadly not for the CCR lads it dosent streach to that.

I have Vplanner and DD planner to compair it with. DD planner is far to dificult for a Numptie like me to use and way to slow. God its a DPS menue driven system bassed on QA data base that I used to use 10 years ago on my old IBM 286.
(40 meg hard drive and 4meg ram sir. Thats all you will ever need
)

V planner is OK but I find the end result dificult to read in a rush

Ok Ok I know Deco Planner was thaught up by the KKK mob but it's good what can I say. Dont worrey I still crave the split fins.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I tend to use tables for a lot of my diving as backup, with the computer doing most of the work. When I do dive deep, I'm onto Buhlmanns at the moment, as most programs seem to like decoing on nitrox etc., whereas I enjoy the scenery on air. That's all coming to an end fairly soon, but that's not the point.

As for software, I go with GAP at the moment, and have got it figured. You can change the deco gas to anything from 21-100% in the settings. Can't remember where without opening it all up, but you can definitely do it, as that's what we do!

As for other software, can't really be of help. I do wish they'd just make it all free, so that us penny-pinching students could reduce the risk. When I get bent, I'm going to blame it on software designers not giving the stuff away. I know they'll never do this, and I understand why, but I wish they would. I also wish chocolate was free on the NHS, but life's a bitch.

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

I use PKUNZIP for decompression.

Duncan

(Sorry - its a crap joke but I had to use it)

Seriously, I use Deco Planner mainly ('cause its what GUE use though I've got a variety of other software on my laptop as it gets used by whoever I'm with and everyone has their favourite package).

I do like Tausim (its in German - http://www.achim-und-kai.de/kai/tausim/tausim_e.html) because you can draw the dive profile on screen (great for caves).  What I would really like is a package that calculated your deco obligation and gas requirements as you constructed (graphically) your dive profile warning you when you were out of gas to return to the surface (preset levels) and so that you could just hit a key to fill in the reverse profile back up to daylight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imported post

I'm new on here but have been using DDPLAN to generate air and mix tables for the past couple of years with no problems. I generally use a gradient factor of 20:90 or 20:80. DDPLAN is free from www.drogon.net

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Stevie,

If you wade back thru the Tek Talk forum, I placed a whole slew of s/w links (some gratis, some ££) on there for the viewing of. Hope one or more of them meets your fancy.

Good luck mate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts