YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Does anyone else get back ache during long(ish) stops? Did 30 mins last week and by the end of it, I could feel my back about to go. I get bad backs occasionally (where there is a twinge in my lower back that sometimes makes me fall over!) but I don't normally have any problems while diving. I put it down to maintaining a horizontal position on quite a long stop. Just wondering if I'm the only one?

My kit is well positioned (twinset plus 7l ali stage) and I had 2kg on a weight belt.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ June 26 2003,08:45)]Does anyone else get back ache during long(ish) stops? Did 30 mins last week and by the end of it, I could feel my back about to go. I get bad backs occasionally (where there is a twinge in my lower back that sometimes makes me fall over!) but I don't normally have any problems while diving. I put it down to maintaining a horizontal position on quite a long stop. Just wondering if I'm the only one?

My kit is well positioned (twinset plus 7l ali stage) and I had 2kg on a weight belt.
<font color='#000080'>I suspect it is down to your horizontal position in the water.  Although the twins may not put a downward force on your lumber region I suspect the weight belt (Even though it only has 2kg's on it) is putting some strain on your lower back.
Especially if you are holding a static position and not moving your legs.

I have experienced an ache in my lower back a few times and it has always been when I have been wearing a belt.  (Not everytime I wear a weight belt) but never noticed it as a problem with just my twins (I don't use any additional weight other than a P weight).

I don't know whether some gentle flexing or arching of the back would make any difference.  Any recommendations on gentle stretchs or similar that could be used on a deco stop.

Daz

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

I've had to have surgery on my lower back a couple of times so am particularly careful about this.

I use integrated weights to take the strain away from a belt as even a small amount of weight pulls in all the wrong places.

I've also noticed that being horizontal / motionless causes some ache so have taken to gentle flexing to relieve this.  I do this during the course of the dive.  You can also do this at a deco stop - it's a lot easier if you're on a deco bar / shot rather than a bag.  The following have helped me:

1. Tuck knees up towards chest (foetal position) and relax. Repeat a couple of times. You can do this one leg at a time if it's easier.

2. Try rolling over so you're back down / face up.  Tricky at first but you'll get used to it.  Takes the weight of a belt off your lower back.

3.  If you're on a deco bar (with calm seas/no swell) hang over the bar, legs down one side, body the other.

All stretching should be done slowly (advice from physio when I came out of hospital).

Hope this helps,  

Cheers,  John

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hey Heads,

I get exactly the same thing, I've tried, all the things that JohnR suggested, the only solution I have found is to remove the weight belt and put the lead elsewhere. Not always convenient, so I just suffer. I have been known to crawl accross the deck after a dive for this reason.

Hey ho, I just recon it is the price I have to pay to see what is down there.

Sorry to not be of much help, but I can sympathise

Andrew

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Just been in Capenwray trying to balance my twin 10s, I now have brusing to my lower back and feel like I've just had a good kickin'.

Using an OMS 100lb bladder and a s/s backplate and 1 peice harness that I goy from Andy Hayhurst, which only has 2 mounting holes. Being a bit on the skinny side, it was very difficult to find a comfortable position underwater. So, now I have to ask myself does it stay or does it go!! Also had an 8lb weight between the cyls & backplate.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Chris,

Don't give up so soon,  it maybe just weight distribution.  The other thing that springs immediatly to mind is the harness.

Is it tight enough ?  if the harness is loose it could be moving around and causing the bruising.

Daz,

If it's any consolation,  the first couple of times I tried mine it was very strange,  I felt that the twinset was diving me  

I felt like it was tipping me forward and every time I twisted to either side it seem to take over on it's own.  

Much better now and very happy.  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Chris (Again)

Just occured to me,  8lb of weight.  That sounds about the same as I use on my twin 10's.

I am about right on weight in the sea but I found I was too heavy in fresh water and this made the problem much worse.

Daz

Still can't hover in a crossed leg position in the water though,  I tend to fall over on my back (I guess this is normal ?)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ June 30 2003,15:48)]Hi Chris (Again)

Just occured to me,  8lb of weight.  That sounds about the same as I use on my twin 10's.

I am about right on weight in the sea but I found I was too heavy in fresh water and this made the problem much worse.
8lb ! what I'd give to only wear 8lb; I've only got an ali BP and I'm a tad more rotund than I should be for my frame so I'm still wearing about 20lb to be able to hold stops with 2x10s at 50bar in salt water.

I guess it must have been me who ate all the (non-meat) pies  

Chee-az
Fat-boy (not) slim

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ June 30 2003,16:14)]8lb ! what I'd give to only wear 8lb; I've only got an ali BP and I'm a tad more rotund than I should be for my frame so I'm still wearing about 20lb to be able to hold stops with 2x10s at 50bar in salt water.

I guess it must have been me who ate all the (non-meat) pies  

Chee-az
Fat-boy (not) slim
<font color='#000080'>Sorry Steve,

Maybe I am just more dense than you  

I'm sure that's what my teachers mean't at school.

Daz

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Nah! just found some old scales and weighed meself, I could lose a stone and still be well over my "fighting weight",

Ah well, at least it's a tangible incentive, ie if I get to my  proper weight I should be able to ditch my weightbelt altogether,  whoopee!  

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Steve, you get it easy, Im dragging a 10 lbs v weight on steel twin 12ls and a steel backplate!! must have the displacement of a frigate!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts