YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told that there is a decompression package called deco check which will look at any proposed profile and compare it to various algorithms. Anyone know anything about this? More importantly - anyone got a copy?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom - but you are right - it is 40 metre depth limited which is no good for what I would like to check. Does anyone have the unlocked version who would like to run one profile for me?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Thanks Tom - but you are right - it is 40 metre depth limited which is no good for what I would like to check. Does anyone have the unlocked version who would like to run one profile for me?

I have a Beta version that runs on Excel spread sheet. It damed laborious to use an crashes a lot. I could put it through there if you like.

I have no way of knowing if its the same as the latest version, Mark gave it to me at the dive show years ago before he launched commercially.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
15,343 Posts
I vaugly remember that there are two versions of this, originally there was a program that compared a lot of different algorithms as Claire described. The latest version uses one algorithm, a French bubble model. This is the one you can download with a 40m limit.

Simon

I beleive the system always had one alogrithum that was developed by a bofin and tested by Mark.

In the origional the bigg selling point was PN2 spikes and Helium switches and how this affected critical tensions.

Aparently all this gas switches I did from 16/60 on to 32% were a very bad thing.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
15,343 Posts

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't mind buying it - but I'm not convinced it's goi to be particularly useful especially if it no longer checks profiles against different algorithms.

Aparently all this gas switches I did from 16/60 on to 32% were a very bad thing.
I'll probably give it a nervous breakdown then.

·
15,343 Posts
I wouldn't mind buying it - but I'm not convinced it's goi to be particularly useful especially if it no longer checks profiles against different algorithms.

I'll probably give it a nervous breakdown then.

It dosent work like that on my version.

You cut the table on what ever algo you like and then input the stops and gasses it genorates into the Decocheck software. Then it breaks down your profile to show the good bad bits.

If you want a second algo you have to repeat the process.

You can them manipulate numbers within deco check to improve the profile and remove the red flags.

I havent tried the comercialy released version but this is how my one worked.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
The first version of Decochek was an Excel spreadsheet.

The primary purpose was not to plan a dive but to check a dive plan against its own criteria for a safe dive. This included decompression constraints as well as ICD constraints.

It was based on a multi tissue model but instead of 8 or 16 compartments it used many more compartments and deep stops were handled through the use of very fast tissue compartments.

ICD was checked by looking at the N2 spikes at each gas switch.

The newer version is a full executable program rather than an excel spreedsheet. It primarily a dive planning programme rather than a dive profile comparison.

It uses the French AB Bubble Model.

This months Diver has an article by Mark Ellyatt on his views of deco software and bubble models in partricular as well as his view of why his programme is better.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I've had a look at the spreadsheet version and it's interesting.

Must be a number of bugs though as a 200 minute dive with 60 mins on O2 is shown as only 85% CNS. DP and VP both come up with about 150%

·
now with added miflex/ milf-flex
1,033 Posts
buy and read marks book, enough to see what diving he plans, amazing..

i would buy the full version but i have a imac......

cheers,

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
I use the full version and have found it to be very easy to use and allows me to make the right gas choices. It also works well with CCR and gives much more realistic deco's for CCR than other software I have used.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
I use the full version and have found it to be very easy to use and allows me to make the right gas choices. It also works well with CCR and gives much more realistic deco's for CCR than other software I have used.
Out of interest, what do you mean by more realistic Mark?

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Out of interest, what do you mean by more realistic Mark?
Versus running the same dive on Pro-planner. The Pro-planner deco by comparison is far too long. (This is on CCR BTW.)

Comparing Decochek's deco to PP, at least I get out close to the other (OC) divers and don't spend 20 minutes more in the water after only a shortish dive ([email protected]). This happened on the last dive when another RB user was using PP. I can choose to pad it in the shallows if I feel circumstances require/allow it, but have had no reason to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts