YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Not so much a trip report as a comment;

By far the best inland site I've ever dived. Finned out from the platform down to the huts, then through the swim through, dropped down the shelf on the opposite side at 29m and worked our way round the ledge/drop off... Was awesome finning at the rim of the ledge, watching the guys/gals with twin12's and pairs of stages doing deco stops on the crane line... Lots of YBOD divers too, descending into the deep...

10-15m viz, bit cold but awesome site...

To think i spent all last winter diving in Eccy Delph/Vivian!

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

Anyone going to dorothea?  Its on my list of "want to do" sites.  Maybe next year sometime (cos i havent got any holls left for this year now)

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Helen,

I ought to give it a go as my Mum and Dad live right next to it, but I've never dived there! A free inland dive site with free full board accommodation and I don't use it! Must be mad!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Is Dotty open at both ends at the moment? Were there a few other people there?

Is there any problem with the locals/landowner at the mo - apart from the fact that you are technically tresspassing by being there (and any BSAC member is not covered by insurance taken through BSAC if they have an accident!)?

Haven't been since july, thinking about a winter dip in the next few weeks. I have to say I love the place. We have had many a BBQ round the far side and several great weekends diving there.

Always stay at the Cwellyn arms in Rhyd-ddu. Nice pub and great rooms for B and B - not bad price too. Graham also has 2 cottages and a bunk barn too so easy diving accomodation

Anyway, "crap and rainy" this weekend - Sports and DL training.

Paul

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

A word of warning......

I don't want to sound like some stuck up sticky beet, but.....

I spent the last five years or so making regular trips to Dotty (I used to live about an hour away) and there was rarely a day that I didn't witness some kind of "incident" there.  I think there were something like five deaths there last year and I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people getting choppered off to the chamber at Murrayfield.

The water is very cold at depth, even in the summer.  This can cause problems that some divers may not be prepared for.  I suffered a freeflow there once (at a reasonably shallow depth) and I would not like to repeat the experience at depth.

I've seen people with single tanks bumbling around at 50m+ and I've seen a number of very scary sights, both in and out of the water.

All I can say is be very careful at Dorothea. It is a fantastic inland site but it bites.....!

Take care

Bob

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

I'm up for it, Porg.  Perhaps we could get a covert YD gig going...?  Maybe in the new year though...  Most people will be busy over Christmas...

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Dec. 03 2003,22:52)]I'm up for it, Porg.  Perhaps we could get a covert YD gig going...?  Maybe in the new year though...  Most people will be busy over Christmas...
Any chances of a lift if you are passing John  

Actually,  always fancied Dorothea.  Bit of a trek for you isn;t it.

Daz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts