YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all.
I'm planning on doing a dive on Helena Fablious? or what ever it called,in the Sound of Mull, about 60m, so if any one fancys a few warm up dives before hand then drop me a note.I've been to 40m before and was OK.
I'm off to buy some twin 12's, manifolded if they give me a good price, and a new OMS wing. so I need a bit of practice before this weekend.
So point of note.
1,Does anyone out there have access to cheap helium?
2,Whats best mix for about a 60m dive?
3,Whats best 50% deco mix  or wait a bit and then 80% deco mix a bit shallower?
4,Whats the best way to get a porthole off? Heard theres some left on this wreck.

Cheers Stef.

(Edited by stef at 9:06 pm on Dec. 10, 2002)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Aaaahhh the Fablious, top wreck mate, good choice, altho there are no portholes left as we had them all away last week whilst practising deep diving on a single 10ltr, we were using welding argon as both travel and deco gas at the time as it was bog cheap although personally I found it rather offensive to the pallette.

If you feel you must buy twins although God knows why then I'd suggest the twin 20's that AndyH's got tucked away in his compressor house.... large but dead handy for dragging fat bastards down...

As far as mix is concerned, well I'd not recommend the Argon (read above) so I'd go with anything you feel like on the day really.

If you find the fish prodder I dropped can you bring it back with ya, cheers mate

Dave.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

To answer your questions:

1. Try balloon helium - its much cheaper and basically the same stuff. Its even premixed 80/20 so you can use it all the way down.

2. Basically answered above - ppO2 of 1.4 so looks fine to me.

3. Deco? Just come up slowly and you'll be fine.

4. Best way to get a porthole off? Buy it some flowers then get it pissed. You have it off in no time. No brass left on Helena Fablious anyway - me and Dave had it all last weekend on out Fisher Price rebreathers.

Troll away to your hearts content - you just making us fish prodders laugh even more.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

So where's the "Troll" emoticon?

/          \       the trolls    |
                     /      \     \                    |
                    /   _    \     \ -_________________
                   /    |\____\     \     ||
                  /     | | | |\____/     ||
                 /       \|_|_|/   |    __||
                /  /  \            |____| ||
               /   |   | /|        |      --|
               |   |   |//         |____  --|
        * _    |  |_|_|_|          |     \-/
     *-- _--\ _ \     //           |
       /  _     \\ _ //   |        /
     *  /   \_ /- | -     |       |
       *      ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Dont be such a woos

60m on the cheep? just do it as a free dive. Chr#st Tanya Streeter did 160m and she's a girl for gods sake.

If you MUST take gas with you and are too scared to dive deep air and too tight to pay for helium how bout Methane?
I hear it is a suitable gas and all you will need is a whip a 12ltr and a role of gaffer tape.

Gaffer tape the 12 to the back of a cow and insert the end of the whip up the cows arse. Leave for a few days and you should have about 20bar of methain. Top off with air and away you go.

Might want to invest in some elbow length rubber gloves a la all creaturs great and small. Also make sure you rinse the whip under a tap before using on pure 02 fills.

Mark Chase

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Shit - good plan Mark. Never thought about that route. With the amount of shit Stef produce, a pipe from the arse back to a full face mask would produce the worlds first fully functioning TOTALLY independent closed circuit methane rebreather! Stunning solution my friend.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

Hey heads, well spotted. The only problem is that the methane rebreather has a serious conflict with the armchair and will not function correctly until the user actually enters the water.  Since there ain't much chance of that, I am sure the rebreather should be passed onto someone who will actually enjoy it. hehe.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Hey the methane idea is no good----- dumbos. what cow can produce 20 bar pressure?
your right the aem chair might get wet........... had not thought about that.
AM. shame you did not find the treasure this weekend aint it? Enjoy your trip?

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Stef
Might be of some use to you, OMS single bladder wing (black) for sale at Diverswarehouse (2nd hand) in very good nick and looks like hardly used £100. Some student wants to go diving in a wet suit and needs the cash.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Feed the cow Brussel sprouts

Works for me

Mark Case

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

I'm sure Anne Marie wasn't too disappointed Stef - after all,  we have our own inimitable little treasure in your goodself - keep posting - it's ever so good for morale!!
Cheers
John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts