YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>I have been reading through an artical about a guy who has dived as deep as 320m!!!

My jaw was on the ground!

Can this really be done and if so, how on earth can the body withstand such pressures?!?!?!

· Registered
16,208 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The body can withstand these pressures, as water doesn't compress, and we're made up mostly of water. Equalising stops the insides of our heads imploding at depths like this.

Apparently they didn't account for tidal flow or something when he did this. I'm sure someone who's more up on this sort of thing will be along soon to explain. But the guy who did it isn't volunteering to hop back in and do it again.

· Concreting the world!
763 Posts
Imported post

Mark Ellyat recently broke the world record with a dive to 311 metres.  Mark Andrews and Leigh Cunningham have been planning a dive to 330 metres for a while now but the latest news is Leigh has pulled out of the dive and will act as a deep support diver for Mark.

Mark Ellyat

Hope that helps

Simon

· Just not enough dive time.
9,000 Posts
Imported post

One of the guys on another board has suggested that the 7hr deco time indicates that he could not have done that dive to over 300m. But physiologically its possible. The limit of our endurance to great depths has continually been pushed and each time it is indicated we can go no deeper without being killed in the attempt.
Personalyy 30m is enough for me.

Matt

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yup, this came up at the weekend on our Advanced Nitrox course. The talk was (as already pointed out by Digger) that the actual depth was different to the stated due to the tidal flow preventing the line from dropping vertically. Also, there was no exertion involved (ie sink down and inflate/dump up) as anything more than a small movement would have triggered just enough CO2 that at that depth it would cause mass panic, narcosis and death.

If you wonder how Tanya Streeter et al do it on a breath hold, the second part of the mammalian reflex stops their heads imploding as the lungs and sinus fill with tissue fluid (a.k.a plasma) which is incompressible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.