• 50m+

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>at what point do you concider it a deep dive?

personally anything below 30m needs greater thaught and anything 40m+ i have to prepair myself for (mentaly), so i would vote for 30m as anything below 30m is not a consideration for my ability

note:
please dont get into the "you should prepair equally and adequatley for every dive" discussion, as most of us dont, but for most of us there is a depth where we start to consider it a lot more

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I went for 35 as that was always the point I would notice the narcs beginning to effect me and I would start to really think about what I was doing, although it should be 30 and right now I would consider 20 deep. It's all different depths at different times. At what point does a wreck dive become deep compared to an OW reef dive? Is a 35mtr dive in crystal clear warm seas as mentally deep as a 25mtr wreck dive?

Peter

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi all

I went for 40m, this is based on me diving to between 25 and 35m several times every weekend. Its probably a bit scarey, but these are very much routine depths to me that i just do.

What about vis though as this is such a big factor on being comfortable at depth. 20m with .5m vis ok, 30m 10-12m vis Heaven, 33m with 1-2m Vis ok, 40m 1-2m vis not so ok. 40m 5-6m vis cracking dive.

Today 30m, pitch black, small back up torch only, 2m vis, good dive.

Its not the depth that matters, its the quality of the site to me.

Regards

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I went for 35m. Beyond 35m you have to start seriously planning back gas and bottom time and probably deco time as well if you want to stay there a while. Trouble is most people (Me included) state the deepest part of the dive so a 35m dive can be a bounce to 35 stick our computers in the mud and then the rest of the dive done at 29m. Which is not quite the same thing. So a typical 35m wreck dive will be a 40m bottom with most of the dive at 35m.

Also as above I start to notice the effects of Narcosis at 35 on air. Soon as I hit 40 I go for He.

I have to say that since going for the Trimix ticket I have done a load of 45 to 60m diving and as a result a 35m dive feels like a walk in the park but deep down in my brain there is a spark of inteligance that tells me it is still a deep dive.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

It depends on how you define a deep dive really.  You could do a 40m bounce dive off a 12l cylinder in the Red Sea  with no real aggravation - there are plenty on this board who've done it I'm sure.  A long 40m dive is a different proposition altogether in terms of planning, deco, bailout etc etc.
I've gone for 45+m for the simple reason that beyond this depth I've been narked good & proper and had a good insight into the whole 'if this all goes wrong I'm gonna snuff it' scenario.  Thanks to Helium this hasn't been an issue for a good long time - doing a 60m wreck  in dark conditions now counts as 'just another dive' which I know isn't the right way to look at it. For anybody about to jump on this comment, I do a lot of planning beforehand and ensure that I've heaps of off-board gas to get me out of dodge if it all comes on top.

This has some potential, come to think about it.  Who out there would be quite happy to bounce, say, 40m on a Red Sea trip so they can check out the Hammerheads, but would balk at doing the same depth in UK waters?
I think the vis & temp is a major factor in this - I know of several divers who've gone to mental depths (considering they only had an ally 12l strapped on at the time) when overseas, but those same guys go a bit quiet when considering repeating the exercise back home.  Presumably a big shark in clear water is more worth the risk than an underwater scrapyard in...well, UK vis.  

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I put 20m purely because I have some confidence in being able to make it to the surface under my own steam, on a breath up to somewhere just above that mark.  Below that I would have trouble hencethe game hits a new level.

On the other hand, for me a 30-35m dive is my limit so these are what I would *call* a deep dive where I was concerned.

Lou

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Any dive deeper than your last dive is a deep dive, but I would consider a dive below 40m deep.

I once did a staff dive in Grand Cayman, I went down to 70m and spent a few minuites watching a Queen Angelfish, then had a nice ascent up the wall back to the boat. Spent 27 mins u/water, but that sort of thing is not to attempted in the sea conditions we find around our shores. At least not on air and with all the other good safety things in place.

·
ex diving instructor
524 Posts
Imported post

Deep dive, at present times anything below 60-65, shallower is just another day in the office as it were.....

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've gone for 30m, at 25m I'm already thinking more seriously about potential problems, at 30 I take it very seriously. Guess it depends on what your average dive depth is and your current Max depth ever.

But it's worth remembering that 0-10m is arguably the most dangerous part of any dive as that's where the the differential is biggest  
Chee-az
steve

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Deeper than I go is deep diving.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ July 20 2003,23:44)]get me out of dodge if ...
Let this be the last time I have to tell you - CAPITAL D.

YBODs - huh!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I decided on 35 m as I dive routinely to that depth and occasionally to between 35 and 45 m. I've NEVER experienced any symptoms of nitrogen narcosis (you don't have to believe me but I know it's true) but gas planning becomes a real issue over 35 m for me. I thoroughly agree that temperature and vis are important factors, though. Although I dive regularly to around 35 m under Swedish winter conditions, which means it's very cold and very dark, I am well aware that that is a very different thing compard to diving to the same depth in the Red Sea. For example, I have no redundancy in the Red Sea but wouldn't even dive to 20 m without my pony here in sweden.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I see many divers obsessed with depth. I like diving in less than 9m, great viz, plenty of life, no torch no deco no gas planning required.  With a little more practice maybe I'll get 2 hours diving from a single 232 bar 12litre cylinder.  

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Don't get me wrong - never been that depth-obsessed & quite happy to knock around at 20-30m if the wreck's worth a look and there are lobbies to be had.
What I have found is that the deeper you go, the better nick the wrecks are in.  A local wreck to me, the Oceana, sits in 25-odd metres from memory and all that remains of a 5-6000ton wreck is a lot of steel plate and boilers cos it's been blown, dragged etc.  If you then look at, say, the Moldavia, Bessel, Duke of Buccleugh, Warilda to name but a few (all of them 50+) you get to see a dirty great ship on the sea-bed.  Much nicer. As for that U-boat on Saturday...Magnifique.

PS I get 3hrs out of my little 3l at whatever depth I fancy

John - I know a few guys who say they've never felt narked in the 40m range and who am I to dispute that?  I just know for a fact that beyond that depth on air for me, the warm fuzzy glow goes away and anxiety sets in.  Nowadays on the devil gas I also remember a whole lot more of the dive than I used to, which is nice.

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Ditto

I found the deep wrecks to in beter condition and usualy with very good viz. All my sub 50 wrecks so far have had between 10 and 20m viz. Mind you I loved the Kyara, I like the City of Brisbane, and I desperatly want to do the Loanda.

With Narcosis it is stress dependent for me.

Did 70m on air once and felt fine. Did 40m on air diving with my wife an was narked silly due to worrying too much about Ling. I definatly notice a rush of narcosis if somthing goes tits up on a 30+m air dive. I can heare my heart as clear as a drum and my head feels tight.

If you can avoid it with He nad dont mind the cost its definatly the way to go below 40.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

I have gone for 40m...why??? I am not sure, I think a deep dive is when you begin to feel a little nervous which for me is beyond 40m but thats my silly side talking, the sensible side thinks 30m but I don't often listen to that side

In the past I always thought 20-25m in the uk was deep and always got a bit heavy on the breathing front when the gauge hit 25ish yet I could go to places like gozo and do very very very silly things with the likes of vic's best m8
and it wouldnt really phase me however back here in the uk (much to Mr chase's annoyance I know
) I wouldn't dare do it, however I do seem to of hit a new level with regards to uk
diving these days. I can do 30+m dives for breakfast now in pitch black without getting worried which I havce done(thats not meant to sound big headed its just the best way I know of describing it ). I have yet to hit the big 40 in the uk, I have been very close done some 38m's and 39m's which is when I start to get a little nervous about the depth I am at hence why I feel 40m is a deep dive for me.

And yes I just know you are gong to mention the mold...I am giving serious thought to it but most likely only to the deck but got to practise on my self-displine first

Pilotdivers

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Dan my old M8

If I could get you on the Mol you would be hammering down Pauls door for a Mix ticket.

I am booked for the Mol on the 9th September if your interested.
its only 46 to the deck and some bits are 38 but 46 is a far more sensible depth to plan. Can organise a Tmix try dive if you like??

Doing the Solsett on Sunday which is 45m to the bottom so if its any good I will try and get you on the next one if your up for it.

Still hoping to get on the 11th with you but Lings thinkng Holiday at the mo so cant confirm just yet.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Any thing over 20m is too deep at the moment, but once i'm healed it'll be business as usual, which means anything over 50m is deep.  That's easy to say when you have a 50m shore dive on your doorstep.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

I might be interested in Salsette, I would imagine mork might  be as well. Doing a couple of deep ones in Aug with Mork. Will see how I get on with the deco times, you know how much I hate hanging on a line for 1/2hr, so far got it up to about 20mins which wasnt too bad expect for the real urge for a p**s  

And no I dont want to carry stages with me,damn't horrible things and as for trimix naaaa you know how much I enjoy being narked

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Boots incontinance nappys

Very embarasing during the purchase stage but less embarasing than pissing in your dry suit  

Dont think you will need one?

Trust me you will. Did my first 100min dive last week and plan on 120min on the Solsett. This is all build up for the Illinoys at 132min profile.

92min of deco

It had better be good.

Mark Chase

1 - 20 of 28 Posts