YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Red is for your normal DSMB.  Yellow is 'out of gas' and the skipper will send a cylinder and reg down your blob line.  You can send a slate up on the yellow blob with a message on it as well.  If you sent up a yellow blob while i was on your boat, i would clip a stage to your line and send it down, if you didn't know the procedure, it would probably knock you out.  Maybe you don't find out about this sort of thing until you start doing deeper/longer dives. It would be a shame if you bought a red/yellow one and found out it wasn't worth a toss later on.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Sep. 28 2003,19:14)]I was wondering how common this rule is as recently it was anounced that yellow is the best colour to see at sea  
<font color='#810541'>I am probably wrong but I thought it had been decided that Orange was the most visible as yellow is difficult to see if the sun is shining.  

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phil Ennis @ Sep. 28 2003,19:42)]
I am probably wrong but I thought it had been decided that Orange was the most visible as yellow is difficult to see if the sun is shining.  
 That could be why a lot of commercial boats have the cabin roof painted red/orange.

·
Mexican Dive Bum
516 Posts
Imported post

Someone in a LDS told me that the yellow/orange ones are optimal as boats can see orange ones well and helicopter pilots can't see orange, only yellow.  This sounds like a feed of chutney made up by DSMB manufacturers to me.  "Once only" survival suits and the Mk10 submarine escape training equipment in use in the Royal Navy are both high visibility orange/red.  

I carry one orange blob on shallowish dives and 2 oranges and an emergency yellow on any mix dive, or a dive involving a serious deco penalty.  Most boat skippers, particularly around Portland/Weymouth are aware of the yellow=emergency protocol.

Best,

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

People who use Yellow blobs as standard should be strung up by their short hairs next to the manufacturor of the Red/Yellow blob.

The yellow blob is a well respected safety signal meaning diver in trouble, to wich the skiper should react to by sending down more gas ASAP. Usualy 02 on a 6m rope.

All in all yelow blobs meen a problem.

Orange / Red blobs are best seen by boats and Yellow blobs by helecopters.

Unless you dive plan includes getting picked up by a helecopter, stick to red.

If I am stranded at sea I will stick up my red blob and my emergancy yellow blob and get the best of both worlds.

ATB

Mark Chase
Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks Guys
But I still think this being the case it should be comon knowledge to avoid any confusion (like road users flashing lights!)
Also considering NDC is 80 m deep prehaps they should have a notice about the use of DSMB protocol ?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

No arguments there - have they got round to putting anything in there worth looking at?  Leybourne's got more FFS!

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

This thing about blob colour is all new to me and I have been diving for 2 years with some very experienced people. I will ask the others i dive with if they know about this protocol. Maybe they would have told me if I had bought a yellow blob! Mine is orangey red.
jules

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hmm, can I refer to BSAC Dive magazine, October 2003, crossword on page 111, question 4?

What is the most suitable colour for an SMB
c) orange & yellow

Did say SMB not DSMB though I presume they are referring to DSMB

Just a thought  

Paul

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jjflash @ Sep. 28 2003,22:13)]
Hmm, can I refer to BSAC Dive magazine, October 2003, crossword on page 111, question 4?
 As if they would know anything.  That's like the Scouts telling the Army what to do.

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>AFIUI- Orange/red for normal use
          Yellow- OOA
Doug, I take it you were joking about
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i would clip a stage to your line and send it down, if you didn't know the procedure, it would probably knock you out.
It's simple enough to lower it nearby on a pre-rigged 6m rope & buoy- if conditions were bad you could clip to the smb line with a small lanyard to buy a few more seconds of lowering time.
Back to DSMBs- SIZE MATTERS! I think it's Scubapro that make a shitty little pale-orange excuse.......great for stowing but useless from a skippers point of view. Get yourselves decent Bowstone or Buddy ones with plenty of length and girth..oooh err..
And make sure it arrives at the surface FULL i.e. 1/2 full before you let go from 10m.... 1/3 full from 20m etc and when it's at the surface it will have about 50lb buoyancy in it, it will be standing proud and  DOING THE JOB IT WAS DESIGNED FOR.
 WTF  would you want to pull it back down for? ref: DIR Thread
Please, no more following "crisp-packets" in a swell.
Rant over.  

ATB,
Terry

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (angleseydiver @ Sep. 28 2003,22:51)]WTF  would you want to pull it back down for? ref: DIR Thread
Please, no more following "crisp-packets" in a swell.
Rant over.  

ATB,
Terry
LOL.. good point Terry but I don't think I'd be thinking about deployment practise on those sort of dives... shallow depths in quarry's are the order of the day for that bit'o'funnin

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (angleseydiver @ Sep. 28 2003,22:51)]
Doug, I take it you were joking about
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i would clip a stage to your line and send it down, if you didn't know the procedure, it would probably knock you out.
 Terry
 Not a joke at all.
  If you're at the stage of diving where sending a yellow blob to show a gas problem up your blob line so it shows on the surface next to your red one is, your bouyancy control should be ok.  So you would pull off a couple of metres of line so when the cylinder comes down it, it doesn't knock you out, it catches in the slack loop that you've made.  That is how i was taught and when we've tested to make sure the skipper is alert, it's always worked so far.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>All DSMB procs should be organised with the skipper b4 you jump in the water.

That way there is no confusion whatever colour you use. My view is you should never expect anyone to know what YOUR procedure is unless you;'ve discussed it with them.

Talk to the skipper, ask him what he's happiest with in terms of drop tanks, diver recovery procs etc ... then follow it.

·
Mexican Dive Bum
516 Posts
Imported post

Further to my earlier post, I raised this again with my LDS (Bournemouth/Poole).  Apparently the coastguard wanted to mandate/recommend yellow blobs and it was only pressure from local divers and skippers that produced a yellow/orange mix compromise.  Stuff that! I still dive with 2 Orange and 1 Yellow for emergencies.

BTW, concur with the earlier comment about "Dive", BSAC and the Yellow/Orange thing.  Any organisation that refuses to allow Deco on 100% and whose DO said they would kill anyone who removed a reg. from their mouth (or words to that effect) is seriously misguided IMHO.  I am a BSAC member, albeit a very reluctant one.

G

·
Imported post

In my experience yellow blobs are nearly impossible to see or follow from a small craft such as a RIB.

The magazine article that said yellow was best was based on SAR helicopter crew reports from a trial done in Scapa Flow. They found yellow stood out more when looking down from above - obvious if you think how many lobster pots are orange.

Get yourself an orange/red blob and write your name on it, along with how many sugars you take, in big letters so the boat knows which blob to follow.

If you are worried about being lost at the surface, Bowstone make a 2 metre tall collapsable yellow flag which you can bungee to your tank.

Never be afraid to ask the skipper what he expects you to do or what the local protocols are.

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts