YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Deleting temporary Outlook files

792 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  David Pye 
#1 ·
OK before some bright spark suggests I hit the "delete temporary internet files" in IE that's not what I'm on about.

When you open an attachement in Outlook 2003 it saves it in a folder in the "temporary internet files" folder. Now. It doesn't clean them up again, much like a spoilt teenager.

The folder is hidden in Explorer (even if you have the "hide system and protected files" doofers unchecked). So how do you delete these buggers? I suppose I could do it from the command prompt but Honestly - that's a bit Stone Age. Plus there is still (can you believe it?) the old hangover of the 8 character limit on sub-directories with no spaces so you have to guess the name (something like loca~3). What a pile of kak.

#4 ·
I had a support call for this type of thing a few weeks ago, it was a right git!

Solution:
Error opening attachments / Cleaning out the Temporary Outlook Files folder

When opening an attachment directly from within Outlook you could get an error message saying that it can't create the file and to that you need check the permissions on the folder you want to save it in. In most cases the permissions on the folder isn't the issue but the fact that the folder is "full". When you open an attachment directly from within Outlook it will first save a copy to a subfolder of the Temporary Internet Files folder. Cleaning out the folder will solve the issue.

Unfortunately this is easier said than done. The subfolder name Outlook creates (on installation of Outlook) in the Temporary Internet Files folder is quite random. It always starts with OLK but is followed by 2 random numbers or letters. Also by default you cannot simply browse to the folder to clean it out. Getting to the Temporary Outlook Folder can still be accomplished in 2 easy steps though.

Step 1: Locate the folder

The folder location is stored in the registry in the following key;

Outlook 97 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Outlook\Security Outlook 98 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.5\Outlook\Security Outlook 2000 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Security Outlook 2002/XP HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security Outlook 2003 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security Outlook 2007 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security
Step 2: Get to the folder

1. [*]Open the OutlookSecureTempFolder registry key from the location provided in Step 1.
    [*]Copy the path from the key.
    [*]Open Explorer
    [*]Paste the address in the Address Bar and press Enter
Move users PC and user to non gpo OU
In DOS, clear down all the OLK folders.

Hope that helps in someway.

#6 ·
May help?

Emptying Temporary Internet Files Folder Leaves Cookies Files

When you empty the Temporary Internet Files folder in Internet Explorer, files that start with the word "Cookie" may remain in the folder.
support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q158/7/69.asp - Similar pages - Note this
Re: Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder When Browser is Closed ...

neo , the servant responsible for ironing the daily newspaper, articulated: > I cannot seem to get this.
www.futurehardware.in/494165.htm - 25k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Automatically Empty The Temporary Internett Folder

To set Internet Explorer to automatically empty the Temporary Internet Folder each time it closes, follow these directions. They work for most versions of ...
accessible-devices.com/emptyingtempfolder.html - 3k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

#12 ·
Plus there is still (can you believe it?) the old hangover of the 8 character limit on sub-directories with no spaces so you have to guess the name (something like loca~3). What a pile of kak.
You can get round this by typing in an *. For example if you want to navigate to Program Files, in the dos command type c:\cd pro* (Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.