1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The full story...
At home - knackered!
Pulse rate currently 54 ('cos I'm fit!)

It was when it was low 40's and less that I felt crap!

All started about 3 a.m. Got up for a pi*s and felt a bit of pain in the chest. Had been shore cover at Budleigh on the Sunday morning carrying kit up and down the steep pebble beach. Decided it was muscular so went back to bed.

Up at 6am for work, still got the chest pain...still put down to Muscular- Skeletal pain.

Set up for the big case, all the machines checked, calibrated, pumps, lines and drugs.. Pain getting worse and pins and needles in the arm.

List delayed so I said I'll nip down the "Walk In Centre" and get some analgesia.

Checked in at reception and then told to take a seat in the waiting area.
Called in - straight onto the trolley, 40% Oxygen (80% Deco gas please I requested) and a 12 lead ECG. Rhythm was OK.. but a Heart Rate of 42! Monitor attached and HR now 38 - 41..

Was seen by the SHO - very quickly followed by a Senior Registrar who spotted me on the trolley (He'd just finished an Anaesthetic rota).

I refused the Morphine as I didn't want to loose control and the pain was uncomfortable but bearable.
Asprin followed by GTN sub-lingual spray followed by the headache from hell and no change in syptoms.

Bloods, cannula, Paracetamol, and a telling off for teaching the Student Nurse about ECG rythms! I was there as a patient!

Chest X-ray - by the team who normally do our theatres. Good to see friendly faces.

Then admission onto the Emergency Medical Unit.
Strict bed rest and still on Oxygen and the monitor. HR now consistant Sinus Rhythm HR 55 - 60. No pain

Seen by the SHO, and then the Consultant.
More blood tests, and transfer to the Cardiac Ward.

Now I hate Hospitals! Dangerous places! Full of sick people - and thats only the Staff.

So, managed to persuade the Consultant that I was a sensible chap - He knows SWMBO, and her medical skills - that if my tests were normal I should be allowed home, which would free up a bed.

After much discussion he agreed, but only if my next ECG remained normal, and results were COMPLETELY clear, and no further episodes of pain.

Strict instructions on going back immediately if any further pain, bradycardia.

More blood tests... I'm sure I was getting empty by this time. An hour later a very sheepish SHO comes to the bed... "Er... they've spilt the sample and need another..."
It wasn't his fault so keeping calm... I let him take the last drops of Claret. I've now got the empty sign flashing!

The Gods were smiling on me. Both Negative.
Not a Heart attack, Not a Pulmonary Embolus!

So allowed home, with instructions not to stop off at the Globe.

Out patients appoint for more tests to try and find out what happened.
....and rest of Day off work to rest!

Some of you were kept informed of what was happening - and many thanks for the nice messages and even the nagging ones!

No diving this week....

So if you do have chest pain, do consider that it may not be muscle strain from carrying all the dive gear.

Paul
p.s. I was Sh*t scared at one point!

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Not a Heart attack, Not a Pulmonary Embolus!

So if you do have chest pain, do consider that it may not be muscle strain from carrying all the dive gear.

So what is the verdict if it's neither of those two?

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
Crikey Paul,

There are easier ways to pull a sickie you know! (then again when you work where you do, maybe you do have to go that bit further!)

Joking aside, I'm glad to hear it isn't one of those serious things you mentioned, and I hope when the problem is finally diagnosed it turns out to be something quite trivial.

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P.S all that becuase somebody else has the dancing chicken avatar...

Now this is much more important! Egbert belongs to me (or is it the other way around?)

This has been ratified a few years ago on the forum!
Who is the chicken rustler? :angry:
:frown: I'm told not to get stressed and this happens!
Where are the Mods?

As to me what happens next?

Treadmill stress test - no worries I run on the one at the gym a couple of times per week (and I always wear a heart rate monitor).

Repeat ECG's

Repeat blood tests

+/- Angiogram

Then hopefully I may get a diagnosis!
Paul
Egbert is getting stressed!:frown:

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Odin
All started about 3 a.m. Got up for a pi*s and felt a bit of pain in the chest.
Glad to here your OK, I was given the advice that if you get up in the night for a pee you should always sit down, also so applies to the the first pee in the morning, as it somehow put a strain on the heart can't remember why, I'm sure someone can remind me,

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts

Now this is much more important! Egbert belongs to me (or is it the other way around?)

:frown: I'm told not to get stressed and this happens!
Where are the Mods?

Treadmill stress test - no worries I run on the one at the gym a couple of times per week (and I always wear a heart rate monitor).

Repeat ECG's

Repeat blood tests

+/- Angiogram

Paul

I am just glad you listened to the nagging from your nephew and neice!!!!

hope they find out what the cause is but you are sensible so wont do anything you are told not to, will you!!!

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts

.... Col Saunders???
... Kentucky Fried??
Youre mad?? or did you want a second opinion??
Well he should stay away from fast greasy food retailers!!

LOL, Paul

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Glad it's none of the horrid things!

I had exactly the same a couple of years ago. 3 days in hospital, loads of tests followed by the stress test a few weeks later.

They decided there was nothing the matter, and called it a "non specific episode" !?!

Whilst glad to get the all clear, it does make you wonder.

Hope all goes well with you.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
End of March I spent a night thrashing around in bed (steady) with severe chest pains, extending down both arms and had to get up at one point to throw up.
Next day, just walking up stairs produced breathlessness and chest pains.

Did the sensible manly thing and tried to ignore it. Basically scared sh1tless and didn't want to see a Doc in case it was confirmed as a heart attack and I couldn't dive again.
Mary eventually bullied me into seeking medical opinion, ECG and tests later told 'nowt wrong' but take ibuprofen.
Celebrated with a weeks diving in Tenerife.

Strange thing is, since then I have met three others who have had the same experience in the last couple of months.

Is it some sort of viral inflamation or some such?

Roy

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Hi Pauly

Sorry I have been a little distracted over the last few days, glad to hear there are no serious issues apart from someone stealing Egbert, that's in its self is enough to make you wobble.

Obviously their takings will suffer but take it easy, the Globe can do without you for a few days :D

Fiona x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts