YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Seem to be having no luck at all recently....

I noticed when cleaning my regs after the last dive, that the depth gauge is reading about 4 m instead of 0 (obviously).  Pressing the back gently still results in a needle movement, so the needle isn't stuck.

I am guessing that someone put something down on it in the boat and have deflected it.

Now the question is.....as it is a mechanical gauge, can it be reset?  Or will I have to always subtract 3m from my reading (it is my back-up rather than primary as I read depth off my computer...)

Cheers

Louise

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lou
Next time you dive compare the readings, with your computer next to the gauge.Probably there will be no diffrence,some gauges have a problem of going back to "0" or atmospheric pressure.Then if its a mile out i would look at changing it, but at the moment i wouldn't worry about it.

Getting it serviced will probably cost the same as a new one.

regards Simon

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

Personally I wouldn't mess about - even for a backup. Get into the shop, have it checked out and if necessary replace it would be my plan.

Its not worth messing about with.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I saw on once that was stuck at 3m, was ok at depth though, just didn't go back to zero - ever!
Some have an adjustable wheel on the side, others have a screwdriver slot on the hub in the centre, does yours have no adjustment mechanisms at all?
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

I haven't examined it too closely.  It is an Oceanic one with the expanded view of the first 10m.  I suspect (from memory) that the adjustment is by screwdriver in the centre as you suggest.

I will cross check it with my computer on the next dive and see how it is behaving.  It was fine but a rib-full of rebreather trainees seems to have upset it by caring more about their shiny new boxes than our gear!

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

i have never known a depth gauge that could be serviced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts